Why become a member? ×

Blackstar Travel Bass

Mikey D

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got one today, its a really fun little bass, pleasantly suprised how well it plays. Gonna take it to rehearsal tomorrow, looking forward to the reaction from the rest of the band when I pull out the worlds smallest bass :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

This!

I had the Mikro, it was a nice little instrument, but sent it back, I prefer the string height on the low side but couldnt get that particular bass to where I wanted it. I found the Blackstar was more or less good to go out of the box, the Musicman style neck wheel truss rod adjustment was a nice little touch and the tone control knob did actually blend rather than just trebble or dull, nice features on a bass ive seen listed for as low as £169. Its not going to replace my USA Fender Jazz Deluxe or USA Musicman Sterling but its fun travel size bass that will probably fit inside your suitcase.

25 minutes ago, Davi said:

I had the Mikro, it was a nice little instrument, but sent it back, I prefer the string height on the low side but couldnt get that particular bass to where I wanted it. I found the Blackstar was more or less good to go out of the box, the Musicman style neck wheel truss rod adjustment was a nice little touch and the tone control knob did actually blend rather than just trebble or dull, nice features on a bass ive seen listed for as low as £169. Its not going to replace my USA Fender Jazz Deluxe or USA Musicman Sterling but its fun travel size bass that will probably fit inside your suitcase.

The string action on my Mikro Bass is about 1.8mm from top of 12th fret to bottom of low E string, about 1.4mm high G string, without any fret buzz whatsoever.

Truss rod cover on the Mikro is a small lid you can slide off to the side without any need of screwdriver, so all you need to do to adjust neck relief is the Allen key that it comes with.

How a bass comes set up from stock factory is in my opinion irrelevant as you will need to do a proper setup pretty much regardless of price point of the instrument to get it to your personal preferred settings anyway.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

17 minutes ago, pineweasel said:

Based on scale length, isn’t the Blackstar a good bit shorter than the Ibanez? If I was looking for a compact bass for travel, etc. that would be the deciding factor. 

Sure, some at least, but with the size of the body and placement of the bridge on the Blackstar compared to the Mikro not as much as it otherwise could have been, also the shorter scale length comes with other disadvantages, such as tone and string tension, and in that aspect string gauge in relation to string inflexibility (caused by the shorter active vibrating length of the strings, which again affects tone and sustain).

The Mikro also comes with more frets (22 vs. just 18), and less cramped upper frets fretting, if that is important to you.

Question here I guess is if you are really going for absolutely smallest possible at any cost or just small enough.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

33 minutes ago, pineweasel said:

Based on scale length, isn’t the Blackstar a good bit shorter than the Ibanez? If I was looking for a compact bass for travel, etc. that would be the deciding factor. 

The scale length specs are 28.6 for the Mikro and 23.46 for the Blackstar. Having owned both basses, so far im really enjoying the Blackstar and thats all that really matters. I would suggest that you go to PMT and try out both basses and see which one you enjoy the most and which suits your needs the best :)

Edited by Davi
  • Like 1