Why become a member? ×

Chowny SWB-1 truss rod adjustment

edstraker123

I picked up a lovely SWB-1 off ebay yesterday and the action is playable but a bit high for my tastes. Looking at the neck it has too much relief so I was hoping a truss rod adjustment would sort it out.

The rod is accessed at the neck end of the bass and looking from here I turned the allen key clockwise, but things seem to get looser rather than tighter. there is more resistance turning the key anticlockwise. Have i misinterpreted the righty -tighty rule ?

Anybody got any thoughts or experience of the Chowny's ? I have in my head that Maruszycks worked differently and wondered if the Chowny's were the same.

Edited by edstraker123

I suspect the two way truss rod has been turned anticlockwise a fair way putting relief into the neck (I have built a bass with such a stiff neck that I have had to do this).  Slacken the strings, turn it clockwise a bit at a time (1/8 turn?), re-tune, assess relief. Keep going until you are happy with it.  It will go loose then eventually feel tight as you start to counter the string tension.  Prior to having an unfortunate experience with one of my G&ls I never slackened the strings when doing truss rod adjustments. These days I do following the advice of Jon Shuker who replaced the G&L trussrod and fretboard. 

I really rate my SWB-1, playabilty 5*, build quality 5* etc etc ..

Edited by 3below