Why become a member? ×

UK towns with a healthy live music scene?

Sparky Mark

22 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

I'm thankful that music has always been a hobby for me. There aren't  many hobbies where you can meet up with some mates, have a few hours fun and end up with more money in your pocket than you started with. However, as a matter of principle, other than those for worthy causes, I choose not to play unpaid gigs. 

Likewise re the hobby point. We do the odd unpaid charity type gig but only if there is a chance something paid comes out of it - doesn’t always work though!

• Like 1

Gloucestershire isn't blessed with great venues hosting mid-level well known bands other than the town/civic halls. The acoustics at Cheltenham town hall aren't great though legacy acts and tribute bands gig there mostly. There are quite a few venues hosting open mic nights and even though there's the 3,000 capacity Centaur at the racecourse Jools Holland's big band orchestra seems to be the only act that gigs there. Chelt's pretty good for local metal, punk and straight ahead rock bands (2 Pigs and Frog & Fiddle) if that's your thing and you don't mind crowds of gypsy's kissed students. I miss the Axiom where I saw a fair few good dance/electronica acts almost a couple of decades ago. The Cotswold Inn is pretty good for localish jazz, reggae and folk stuff.

Seems to me most well-known ish bands that aren't over the hill opt for either Oxford or Bristol which are only 40 minutes or so away.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tim2291 said:

Its frustrating isn't it. Especially when they're not even very good at the job!

I'm guessing that Promoters see there job as promiting artists to venues and getting gigs whilst it's the artist's job to promote the actual gigs to punters. Fair enough?

1 minute ago, Sparky Mark said:

I'm guessing that Promoters see there job as promiting artists to venues and getting gigs whilst it's the artist's job to promote the actual gigs to punters. Fair enough?

A promoter who is just booking bands is not a promoter, they are a booking agent. That's a very different thing, if they called themselves booking agents, then yes that's fair enough. But the promoter should do what their job title suggests, and of course the artist should promote as well but it does go both ways!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim2291 said:

A promoter who is just booking bands is not a promoter, they are a booking agent. That's a very different thing, if they called themselves booking agents, then yes that's fair enough. But the promoter should do what their job title suggests, and of course the artist should promote as well but it does go both ways!

Ah, I see. I assumed that Promoters earned their fee by approaching Booking Agents, not that they were one and the same entity. 

I'm in a little village about seven or eight miles east of Reading.  Nothing here.

Locally Bracknell has a couple of venues, The Cellar at South Hill Park, The Acoustic Lounge (not strictly acoustic).  Reading is better, quite a few small/decent places, Face Bar, Sub 89, Purple Turtle, The Butler, South Street Arts, The Turks, Velocity, Oakford Social - there are a few that I've played but not certain whether they're still open; Readipop was great, there was a bar in the Town Hall I gigged once.

There was one place in Reading, old metal pub called The Rising Sun.  It was a fantastic place.  The inside was wallpapered (walls and ceiling) with pages from The Beano and The Dandy and for good measure the place had a old rowing boat in one corner (riding on a sea of papier-mache).  I played there just the once...the place was absolutely rammed, literally people falling onto the low stage.  When we were loading in we got heckled by a group of metal-boys nursing pints of lager but the level of heckling reduced with the more gear we bought in.  Reckon we played about an hour and aside from a gig I did in Milan, I'd say it was one of the best gigs I've ever played.  The bar staff said we were the loudest band they'd ever had in there.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/10/2022 at 16:07, lownote said:

Diss at the very centre of East Anglia has a jazz club.  Quite popular I hear. The only downside is it involves listening to CDs.  Like a book club. Any thought of actually playing an instrument is a no-no.  The nearest centres of livacious music are Bury St Edmund, Ipswich or Norwich. Which means I am at the centre of 2000 square miles of quiet. That's not to say there are no venues or musos to supply them - for example, pre-covid the Burston Crown had a remarkable array of very high London quality acts - but the OP asked for thriving scenes.

Living nearby to @lownote I too find our local Suffolk / Norfolk music scene  some what limited !!

We have a few decent pubs booking bands in the villages but times are tough and they seem to be cutting back. 
A point I notice alot is that the venues are rubbish at promoting live music so it’s a challenge making sure you post on social media about your next gig.

We play at a local brewery and they have a great FB page but they don’t promote the live music they have booked and they ask why attendance is poor !! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BassAdder60 said:

Living nearby to @lownote I too find our local Suffolk / Norfolk music scene  some what limited !!

We have a few decent pubs booking bands in the villages but times are tough and they seem to be cutting back. 
A point I notice alot is that the venues are rubbish at promoting live music so it’s a challenge making sure you post on social media about your next gig.

We play at a local brewery and they have a great FB page but they don’t promote the live music they have booked and they ask why attendance is poor !! 

This is extremely frustrating isn't it! You can of course promote as much as possible through SM and get people to come along to the gig. But the venues have a better reach for their patrons, these people who follow them on social media have been to the place in the past or visit regularly so it would be massively helpful if they would help promote as well! It is mutually beneficial at the end of the day!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Having up to date and attractive social media and maybe a website is vital. Have several quality video clips and stills available and easy to find for venues and punters. Make the venues' job easier by supplying them with posters or at least good publicity shots.  My last band had a geriatric in charge of publicity and venues often had to scour our archive for out of date pix of the band.

• Like 2

I live in a smallish town, Ilkeston. It's in-between Nottigham and Derby and therefore most tastes are catered for. Ilkeston Itself has rediscovered the joy of bands playing on Sunday afternoon/ evenings.some weeks as many as five pubs offer up bands or duos. One has the solo singer with backing tracks but the rest are all live. It's not too bad at all.😁

• Thanks 1

On 04/11/2022 at 13:19, Raymondo said:

I live in a smallish town, Ilkeston. It's in-between Nottigham and Derby and therefore most tastes are catered for. Ilkeston Itself has rediscovered the joy of bands playing on Sunday afternoon/ evenings.some weeks as many as five pubs offer up bands or duos. One has the solo singer with backing tracks but the rest are all live. It's not too bad at all.😁

Thought I'd responded to this but my phone says otherwise! 

I live towards the South of Derbyshire and the Derby/Burton scene is pretty awesome really. A few great bands and tributes playing out of here.

Also... my band is playing the Latch Lifter next Saturday (19th). Always a good crowd there. 👌 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, AScheck9 said:

Thought I'd responded to this but my phone says otherwise! 

I live towards the South of Derbyshire and the Derby/Burton scene is pretty awesome really. A few great bands and tributes playing out of here.

Also... my band is playing the Latch Lifter next Saturday (19th). Always a good crowd there. 👌 

I would have come along to the Latch Lifter  but I will be in Leeds for the Saw Doctors gig.

Let me know if you gig there again and I'll try to come say hello.

• Like 1