Why become a member? ×

Band camp , SoundCloud advice wanted

Dom in Dorset

Bandcamp is great.

Really easy to set up a page, they take a reasonable cut (and have extended the lockdown 'Bandcamp Friday' thing, where they don't take anything, really handy if you promote it well). You can have pretty much anything on there, including bio/lyrics if you're so inclined, and it's a nice little community IMO. There's a handy player that you can embed elsewhere too.

Given how you can make it look, I've often questioned the wisdom of us paying for a website, that looks pretty similar and does less for us.

• Like 2

Have used Bandcamp for about 18 months and can definitely recommend it if you’re selling music or merch. It’s easy to add Bandcamp links to websites or YouTube videos or social media posts etc.

I don’t earn tons of money from it but every release I’ve put on there has covered, say, my medical insurance for the year, or car insurance, or paid for new musical gear etc. 

Defo worth a look 👍

I’ve thought about having a website but Bandcamp does everything I’d need anyway so I’ve just stayed with that. YMMV and all that, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice tunes, and I like the comic spiel too!

It does look a bit plain to me, and if that was your intention, crack on and ignore me.

But is that how you'd want your website to look? You could go a bit further IMO. Nothing crazy, but a header with your name on it, and some kind of background image would perk it up a bit, even changing the background from white would help I think. Obviously it's all down to what you want, but the facility is there, and it's free to experiment. If it was me, I'd be having a couple of Bourbons tonight (the beverage, not the biscuits), sticking some tunes on, and going full on comedy/country on it's donkey! 😎

Ours could do with a refresh, as it's definitely not perfect, but (hopefully) it does reflect the band a little more.

https://isleofeverything.bandcamp.com/album/ocho

The problem with Bandcamp as I see it is two-fold:

1. You are confined by the Bandcamp template and TBH no matter how much you tart it up with colours and header images it will still look like a typical Bandcamp page, that says more about Bandcamp then it does about your band.

2. Unfortunately Bandcamp is just an indie ghetto. Yes, as an independent artist (one not signed to a major label) you need to be on Bandcamp, but if you want to reach your maximum potential audience you need to be everywhere else too - Facebook, Instagram, TikTok as well as all the mainstream streaming and download sites. All the bands that I have been part of that have an on-line presence are on Bandcamp, but they all sell more downloads through iTMS and Amazon then they do from Bandcamp, and at least one of them makes more from Spotify streaming then it does from Bandcamp downloads (and consequently has a far bigger Spotify audience than the Bandcamp one). To me that says it all.