Why become a member? ×

NBD. Ok, so what do I do now!

Woodinblack

So I have joined the group with my new NS Wav5. Been playing it tonight, and enjoying it (apart from I can't do too much as I sliced my finger open yesterday).

So what are good starting learning resources? Videos etc? Great things to learn etc?

Mostly playing with the fingers but I willl try the bow stuff. i have a bow, it came with a chinese violin that cost about £20 10 years ago, so not great, but until I know what i need, it will do!

IMG_4162.jpeg

• Like 3

Congratulations!

There's loads of stuff on Youtube. Discover Double Bass is good for LH/RH Technique, and there's a lot of quality stuff around walking bass on that channel too. I like PD Bass too, and there are a few really good videos from Cole Davis. He has a method of using open strings as jumping points in scales and arpeggios to spread the shape across the neck (as BG shapes don't work so well any more). I found them really useful. John Clayton has some cool stuff covering the basics, just filmed on his phone by the looks, but the content is quality, and I like Yuri Goloubev's shorts too. Mr Sunnybass does great playthroughs, and his lessons look really good... except they're in Italian, so I don't really know. I've been using Ireal pro for play along tracks and chord charts.

I was always pretty happy with the standards strings, to the extent that they're still on there, but I bought a Ninomute, which adds thump and kills that fretless style 'mwah' in the middle of the neck. At 50 quid they're a bit of a fosters-take for what they are, but it does work well. I'd fashioned mutes myself before I got it using various things, but this does do the trick. Recording direct into the interface (in the Hi Z input) with the tone full off and the ninomute on, I get a sound that's close enough for me.

*Edit* - I also found that when playing, the dots on the board weren't useful in the lower positions, It messed up my body position to crane round and look at them. I got a hole punch and some sticky backed, fluorescent, sign makers vinyl and put dots on the edge.

Happy adventures!

Edited by NickD
  • Like 3

Congrats, albeit tempered with large swathes of envy. I see you went for a fiver. I definitely want an upright and preferably a full on DB, but it’s very slim pickings in my neck of the woods. I’ve looked at affordable EUBs but I’m wary of them sounding more like a fretless bass than a DB.

If you want to try arco, a violin bow isn't going to cut it - violin resin and the physical properties of a violin bow are scaled to the physics of violin strings which are pretty thin and low mass.

If you compare cello bows with DB bows side by side, the physical differences are still quite pronounced - arco on DB is challenging and rewarding in equal measure, better bring the right tools for the job if you want to give it a proper go and give yourself the chance of getting decent results.

A big mirror is really helpful for feedback on what your bow is doing relative to the strings.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SubsonicSimpleton said:

If you want to try arco, a violin bow isn't going to cut it - violin resin and the physical properties of a violin bow are scaled to the physics of violin strings which are pretty thin and low mass.

Ok, so I look, I get the 'choice' of french or german and the sizes are listed as 1/4 1/2 3/4 etc - is that really a size? I am guessing not 1/4 of the length!

And I guess you have no way of working out what you need until you have spent money on something you dont

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

I’ve looked at affordable EUBs but I’m wary of them sounding more like a fretless bass than a DB.

Sounds sort of ok to me, and close enough. However, I don't have the option, I physically do not have the space for a double bass, so even if I wanted one I couldn't have one, so this will be as close as it gets!

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Ok, so I look, I get the 'choice' of french or german and the sizes are listed as 1/4 1/2 3/4 etc - is that really a size? I am guessing not 1/4 of the length!

And I guess you have no way of working out what you need until you have spent money on something you dont

3/4 is the 'normal' size - 'most' DBs are 3/4 and the bow is supposedly proportioned to it. 

I'm a relative beginner to DB and ended up with a Hidersine bow from Bass Bags after discussing with them over the phone. My DB-playing friend said it was fine for what I paid, and seems to do the job. 

If you didn't want to stump up you're welcome to come and give it a try before you go off and buy one. 

Checking my french bows (which are all different lengths) the hair ribbons are 59cm, 58.5cm and 55.5cm - my personal favourite in terms of balance and handling comfort is the shortest of the three(which a 3/4 I believe), but I like the sound of the middle one better.

Bows are a very Goldilocks proposition, what works best for you is going to be determined by your physiology, your ambition and the type of repetoire you favour - to start out, the most important thing is that the bow has good quality hair on it(some budget bows use artifical hair which sucks), and you have fresh rosin(Nymans is my go to).

Normal practice is to start out using the same grip as your teacher - it is possible to change at a later date (two of my local fellow DBers have switched from french to german grip after decades of playing and found that this alleviated age related shoulder pain issues)

Do get a teacher if at all possible - the input on what you are doing right/wrong in the beginning will save you a lot of time in the long run.

• Like 3

1. Get a teacher (if only for basic posture and technique) 

2. Get a bass bow (you teacher will advise you on one) and remember that plucking a bass is limiting yourself to only 10% of what a bass can do - arco is where its at! 

3. Buy bass specific rosin (Nymans, Pops, Carlsonn, Leatherwood etc etc) and learn how to apply it properly. NEVER USE HARD POWDERY VIOLIN/CELLO ROSIN 

4. Stick proper double bass strings on it (Pirastro Evahs, Thomastic Belcantos, Spyros etc etc your teacher can advise) 

5. Practice little and often at first. 

6. DO NOT THINK THAT IT'S LIKE A BASS GUITAR every note comes from your biggest muscles. 

7. Do not pluck with your finger tips like a bass guitar, they're too weak, pizz with the side of your whole fingers where the muscle mass is. A 41.5" string length is a lot of string to move! 

8. Enjoy it and have patience. (and get a teacher!) 😜 

• Like 1

1. Get a teacher (if only for basic posture and technique) 

2. Get a bass bow (you teacher will advise you on one) and remember that plucking a bass is limiting yourself to only 10% of what a bass can do - arco is where its at! 

3. Buy bass specific rosin (Nymans, Pops, Carlsonn, Leatherwood etc etc) and learn how to apply it properly. NEVER USE HARD POWDERY VIOLIN/CELLO ROSIN 

4. Stick proper double bass strings on it (Pirastro Evahs, Thomastic Belcantos, Spyros etc etc your teacher can advise) 

5. Practice little and often at first. 

6. DO NOT THINK THAT IT'S LIKE A BASS GUITAR every note comes from your biggest muscles. 

7. Do not pluck with your finger tips like a bass guitar, they're too weak, pizz with the side of your whole fingers where the muscle mass is. A 41.5" string length is a lot of string to move! 

8. Enjoy it and have patience. (and get a teacher!) 😜 

Oh, forgot to say, bow lengths doesn't really matter. It's all about the ribbon width, balance, "bow spring", how it feels, how it grabs the string and how the frog feels in your hand. 

The bow draws out the tone of the bass. A different bow will make the same bass sound completely different. 

Most importantly it's about the weight. 128g is too light for me, some section players trialed super heavy bows at around 170g about 15yrs ago. The "norm" is around 140g for a decent bow (I prefer slightly heavier - my main bow is 148g) but it's completely subjective....

And everything I've said relates to a French style bow, German patterns are completely different and a whole different conversation! 

But remember, the bass is a bass, the bow is the amplifier and what provides expression! 

(you can't make a note considerably louder once you've plucked it! With a bow, you can - and SO much more). 

9 minutes ago, Bloopdad1 said:

Oh, forgot to say, bow lengths doesn't really matter. It's all about the ribbon width, balance, "bow spring", how it feels, how it grabs the string and how the frog feels in your hand. 

Yes, so it is sort of like you have had to have somethinng to know what it is you don't like!

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, so it is sort of like you have had to have somethinng to know what it is you don't like!

When you buy a bow (or a double bass) you usually arrange to have it for a few weeks trial to see if you like it. 

(Alternatively an archetier - bow maker, will make you a bow and if you can't get on with it won't charge you for it).

2 hours ago, Bloopdad1 said:

When you buy a bow (or a double bass) you usually arrange to have it for a few weeks trial to see if you like it. 

(Alternatively an archetier - bow maker, will make you a bow and if you can't get on with it won't charge you for it).

Where on earth do you do that? The only places I know of are online, and they certainly don't do that. I don't believe there are any shops within quite a way of here that will do it.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Where on earth do you do that? The only places I know of are online, and they certainly don't do that. I don't believe there are any shops within quite a way of here that will do it.

Almost every Luthier and Archetier will let you have a trial. That's kinda how it's done. 

Off the top of my head Bow speed, Tim Richards, Turners, Martins, Adrian McGill, Bristol Violins, Ealing Strings, Gallery Strings, A Reis, Ken Knussen, Ed Gaunt, Brian Tunnicliffe - [retired but probably the best archetier in the UK] plus many more I'm sure, all offer to mail out a selection of bows to try. 

The archetiers mentioned above (Tim, Brian, A Reis, Ed and Andrew plus many many more) all offer to make exactly what you want for whatever budget you have with the reassurance that you're not committed to buy it if it's not right. 

But beware, bows go from £100 to £80,000 for a gorgeous Satory french job! 

1 hour ago, Bassfingers said:

Bass Bags  let you try up to three bows for up to 5 days at home .... 

https://www.bassbags.co.uk/

i had one of their bows in my cart, but now I look it is only available on bows over £150 which seems reasonable but I am nowhere near the £150 bow level yet, so I guess I will have to get something cheap to find out if it is something I want to do, and then if it is I can get something better