Why become a member? ×

Fender AV II 54 & 60 Precision plus AV II 66 Jazz.

MungoBass

55 minutes ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

There were some unlined fretless Fenders from the Japanese line in the '80s/'90s; at least the jazz bass special and the jazz bass standard.

An unlined fretless precision with maple fretboard as a reissue would be cool, but maybe more relevant in the Mexican or japanese range. As the originals are not that expensive usually, and probably cheaper than the reissues.

I do remember those Fender Jazz Bass Specials, they were gorgeous basses. Fender originally released the first fretless bass as a Precision with a maple or rosewood board in the 70's but I'd be happy with a Mexican or Japanese re-issue now. I actually have the Mexican Fender 70's FSR Precision which on its own is amazing but I got Shuker to make me a maple fretless neck for it and it is a thing of beauty :)

image0.jpeg.b6c6ea48164b455a8895ee0471a644da.thumb.jpeg.4eacdc27677cdb6ff4f165e562e11ee8.jpeg

• Like 6

18 hours ago, asingardenof said:

While I'm sure they're great basses I can't help but wonder how often Fender can keep harking back to the past to dictate their product lines. How many variations on these particular themes can there before they admit they've effectively run out of ideas?

It's not like this is all they do though.

Over the past few years or so they've also released the Meteora - a new offset bodyshape with active electronics and dual humbuckers, and the American Ultra and Player Plus ranges with noiseless pups and active electronics, and the Aerodynes with 12" fretboard radiuses and babicz bridges.

Not exactly innovative by say Ibanez standards, but its also not like they just put out these type of traditional jobs with Nitro finishes and period correct specs.

If Fender released a headless bass with fanned frets, roasted necks, fishman fluence pups and stuff, I suspect nobody would buy them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vin Venal said:

Over the past few years or so they've also released the Meteora - a new offset bodyshape with active electronics and dual humbuckers, and the American Ultra and Player Plus ranges with noiseless pups and active electronics, and the Aerodynes with 12" fretboard radiuses and babicz bridges.

Not exactly innovative by say Ibanez standards, but its also not like they just put out these type of traditional jobs with Nitro finishes and period correct specs.

If Fender released a headless bass with fanned frets, roasted necks, fishman fluence pups and stuff, I suspect nobody would buy them.

Also the Mustang bass is a great bass and played by so many.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vin Venal said:

Which is a fair point, but will they be bringing out vintage basses from the 90s onwards at any point (if it's over 25 years it's vintage, and all that) or do we think the "vintage" era as far as Fender is concerned stopped in 1979.

13 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Which is a fair point, but will they be bringing out vintage basses from the 90s onwards at any point (if it's over 25 years it's vintage, and all that) or do we think the "vintage" era as far as Fender is concerned stopped in 1979.

I guess it's possible that Fenders window of vintage nostalgia might move forward in time, once all the money stops being concentrated in the hands of people old enough to remember it, but for the time being, boomers are the target demographic for anyone selling "luxury" items for obvious reasons.

On the other hand, I see no shortage of sentimentality regarding the music of the 60s and 70s from gen Z. In fact, prog/psychedelic rock is currently having a big comeback. Long hair and listening to Zep is in, and probably will be again in our lifetime.

24 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Also a fair point!  I sense they seem to (and probably quite rightly) work on what tend to be iconic basses of their time. So Pre-CBS is a great target, especially as basses of this era are out of most of our financial reaches. I think the ‘newest’ vintage reissue has been a 1975 Jazz but my memory could well have got that wrong!

Edited by MungoBass

23 hours ago, asingardenof said:

While I'm sure they're great basses I can't help but wonder how often Fender can keep harking back to the past to dictate their product lines. How many variations on these particular themes can there before they admit they've effectively run out of ideas?

The Fender guitar brand will always be focused on the 'classics'.

Fender own other guitar companies which they use to target other parts of the market. They have Charvel in direct competion with Ibanez more 'modern' guitars and basses, Jackson for unashamedly metal guitars and Gretsch covering the semi acoustic and retro solid bodies.

• Like 2

These are only "kind-of" vintage reissues. For all they go on about period-accuracy, it looks like they have neglected certain details. Where are the  metal pickup covers, for a start? 

Still look like nice basses, nevertheless. It's just a shame that the pound is so weak against the dollar. I'm surprised they are priced under two grand, the way things are going. What we need is a Cost of Living payment from the government to make up for the increase in the price of basses since they wrecked the economy. It's the least they could do, given the circumstances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

These are only "kind-of" vintage reissues. For all they go on about period-accuracy, it looks like they have neglected certain details. Where are the  metal pickup covers, for a start? 

Still look like nice basses, nevertheless. It's just a shame that the pound is so weak against the dollar. I'm surprised they are priced under two grand, the way

things are going. What we need is a Cost of Living payment from the government to make up for the increase in the price of basses since they wrecked the economy. It's the least they could do, given the circumstances.

Yup - I thought the same. Fully expected them to be hovering up near 2.5K. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Misdee said:

Still look like nice basses, nevertheless. It's just a shame that the pound is so weak against the dollar. I'm surprised they are priced under two grand, the way things are going. What we need is a Cost of Living payment from the government to make up for the increase in the price of basses since they wrecked the economy. It's the least they could do, given the circumstances.

What else do you think they've missed? The Tuners are PC, as is the F-plate and hootenanny button. The covers will probably comes with the outfit.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NikNik said:

What else do you think they've missed? The Tuners are PC, as is the F-plate and hootenanny button. The covers will probably comes with the outfit.

I agree and would expect the covers to be included. Certainly that was the case with my 2021 Jazz. Not that I have fitted them anyway!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MungoBass said:

I agree and would expect the covers to be included. Certainly that was the case with my 2021 Jazz. Not that I have fitted them anyway!

Yes, they came with my American FSR Daphne Blue Jazz, along with mutes, strap and a signal cable. Talkbass posts confirm covers included.

• Like 1

Okay, I stand corrected. It's just that on the video there are no screw holes on the demo bass, or any mention of the metalwork in question.

I've got a 74 AVRI Jazz and it came with the full kit and caboodle. Overall it's a lovely package. Not that I can  enjoy playing a Fender bass with the covers on but it's nice to look at.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Overall it's a lovely package. Not that I can  enjoy playing a Fender bass with the covers on but it's nice to look at.

Agree on both points!

I have four Fender Basses and there are eight covers sitting in four cases!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cairobill said:

Yup - I thought the same. Fully expected them to be hovering up near 2.5K. 

It's just enough money that it's not out of the question.  If you consider that it's three grand for a Stingray nowadays, it's not that bad. Three and a half to five grand for a Custom Shop bass is more than I am prepared to pay for any Fender bass, and a good example of one of these basses would be a very acceptable substitute.

The challenge now is (as ever) finding a light one that Fender have put together correctly.

Edited by Misdee

2 minutes ago, Misdee said:

I also need to invent a credible narrative about why I need another Jazz Bass.

I'm a sucker for a Jazz Bass. I was thinking about a Thumb I've seen but a '66 Jazz with Lollipops and a dot n bound neck looks like its gonna be  the winner.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Misdee said:

I also need to invent a credible narrative about why I need another Jazz Bass.

Because it will sound different.......on account of the new strings you will have to buy.....to make it sound different!!! 😁

16 minutes ago, Misdee said:

It's just enough money that it's not out of the question.  If you consider that it's three grand for a Stingray nowadays, it's not that bad. Three and a half to five grand for a Custom Shop bass is more than I am prepared to pay for any Fender bass, and a good example of one of these basses would be a very acceptable substitute.

The challenge now is (as ever) finding a light one that Fender have put together correctly.

Exactly - weight is a key question. For e.g. I'm also quite interested in the 50s tele reissues. My brother has a beautiful AVRI blackguard that weighs in at 6.5lbs. I've already seen a comparison video where the comparable AVII is much heavier.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NikNik said:

I'm a sucker for a Jazz Bass. I was thinking about a Thumb I've seen but a '66 Jazz with Lollipops and a dot n bound neck looks like its gonna be  the winner.

Yep.....but which colour.....

I like the look of the 54 P as well....