Why become a member? ×

Vintage VJ74, any good?

Brian18242

Not played one of these but the Vintage Tony Butler Precision I had was very well put together, played & sounded great. Not a good instrument for the money, just a good instrument full stop. If I weren’t so hooked on US Fenders the common sense approach would be to own/gig Vintage basses.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 2

yep I have 4 Vintage 6 strings. An SG, JD telecaster, 335 a-like and an old Geoff Whitehorn signature. They are all very good instruments, particularly the Jerry Donahue telecaster.

My older brother had a Vintage P bass. It was giggable straight out of the box. Great hardware and pickups too

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had one, years ago.  The Jaco clone they made. Looked ok from a distance but up close it looked real cheap. Body seemed to be made out of balsa wood; absolutely no acoustic tone. Neck/'board was ok. as was amplified tone, but nothing to write home about. Shifted it quickly. Perhaps there have been improvements since then.

Ah, I see the bodies are now alder.

Edited by NikNik

On 29/10/2022 at 17:05, bubinga5 said:

I had one. I totally hated it.  bad fret ends,felt really cheap. And i mean really badly put together  Of course i cant speak for every one but your money would be better spent on a Squire imo. I dont care if it had hipshot hardwear i would still stay away. 

I had a sunburst/maple one from eBay as it went cheap. It felt 'OK' but it did feel a bit heavy, the pickups were also extremely hot, and the top end was too much. Sold it a few weeks later for same price.

Agree on Squier as a better option.

Edited by Machines
  • Like 1