Why become a member? ×

Dumping it all for a pod

Guest MoJo

That's right.

However it needn't be expensive. For a long time I used an extra long lead to the headphone output of my vbass, with the vbass DI'd to desk and PA and now sent stereo to my amp. Really nice to have the same sound everywhere. Also, just because you have a pod or similar which is capable of all sorts of sounds, it doesn't mean you have to use them. Nearly all the time I had my clean patch which was a bit of compression and nothing else. If you have a good sounding bass then the Pod will not change that one bit. Fantastic piece of gear IMO and used on far more records than people realise.

Sorry, what I meant to say was that it is cheapo plastic and because not everyone uses them they are obviously rubbish.

ped

[quote name='ARGH' post='467140' date='Apr 20 2009, 12:46 AM']Yes get a head..get a cab.....

Pods..are not the way,if they were,the amp industry would have died..thay are made of plastic,plastic breaks onstage..dont do it.[/quote]
My xt Pro hasn't broken yet and has been sat in a rack as the front end of my sound for 4 or 5 years now. As mentioned in your other thread it runs into the MB combo for stage monitoring as well as the PA for FoH.

Don't do what I did initially, which was just run the BOD to the PA and rely on the PA monitors. It was OK for me but there were mutterings of a lack of presence (ie earth moving bass) on stage that led to my getting the MB combo.

And make sure you check a BOD out with the powered monitor in a gig situation if at all possible because you may find that the monitor does not give you what you want being designed for something other than pure bass.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='467399' date='Apr 20 2009, 12:57 PM']Surely it's a 'horses for courses' situation.
There's nothing wrong with the POD and IEM setup, if there's enough P.A. at your gigs to cope. If not then having a powered monitor or power amp & speaker cab there to cover things would sort it.

Good luck on your quest!

BTW I always loved the idea of a backline and monitor free stage setup, with electronic drums, pods and IEM's instead. I think it was Garbage that toured like that some years ago. It must be wierd taking an earpiece out to hear...nothing![/quote]
This was what I was after, but unless all the band use IEM's you hit a potential snag as above.

And if you are using IEM's you need a good set of earphones - for example Shure E2C's

And finally for a nice gritty rock sound, Ped's SVT Grit patch :)

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='bassman2790' post='467086' date='Apr 19 2009, 11:06 PM']My dilemma is that I don't have any spare cash at the moment. The guitarist in our band has got his sound well and truly sorted. He runs his Gibson Explorer through a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade amp into a matching 4 x 12 H&K cabinet. The sound he gets is incredible.

By comparison, my poor Trace 2x10 combo pales into insignificance. It's not like we're into a volume war as we have known each other for a long time and work well together for the good of the band. I often have to tell him to turn it up :rolleyes: . I just feel that my tone lets the side down a bit at the moment. I've only just got back into work after being made redundant in October. I can't even afford a car and travel everywhere by bus so the chances of me taking home an Ampeg SVT and 8x10 cabinet are zero.

Maybe I should just keep puttin my gig money to one side until I can afford a big valve head and quality cabinet.[/quote]
I run a 15-ish years old Trace 250w head into a 210.. used to carry two but don't seem to need the volume tbh.
Never had a complaint about tone, although did get raised eyebrows when, at a festival, following a Rock Band with an 810 bass cab. Huh.. carry that yourself, thought I! :)
Tone is personal.. between the gear and my own playing, it took me years to get to where I was happy, and after many changes I decided that simple just sounded better for me.

been seen and done and, for me, they just don't do it!!

these digital signal processors/pre-amps can't create the full blown sound of a decent rig even a semi decent rig - simply don't have the presence nor headroom.

I have an svt 810 and trace elliot v4 valve head and...would never consider dumping for a pod!

my gig rig is an ampeg svt 3pro and an ampeg b410,. both very portable and extremely versatile for what I need when circuit gigging.

it's difficult at anytime for a bass to cut through a valve head and 412 cab the frequencies are different for guitarists - they just cut!! :) the hk head your man uses is supposed to be killer and massively loud for its rating.

andy

[quote name='andy67' post='468655' date='Apr 21 2009, 03:35 PM']been seen and done and, for me, they just don't do it!!

these digital signal processors/pre-amps can't create the full blown sound of a decent rig even a semi decent rig - simply don't have the presence nor headroom.

andy[/quote]

My POD does not have the presence or headroom to compete with a semi-decent rig? Would you kindly elucidate? I need to know if I have wasted 350 notes.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='468682' date='Apr 21 2009, 03:59 PM']My POD does not have the presence or headroom to compete with a semi-decent rig? Would you kindly elucidate? I need to know if I have wasted 350 notes.[/quote]

question back at you - how could it possibly??

andy

[quote name='andy67' post='468655' date='Apr 21 2009, 03:35 PM']I have an svt 810 and trace elliot v4 valve head and...would never consider dumping for a pod!

my gig rig is an ampeg svt 3pro and an ampeg b410,. both very portable and extremely versatile for what I need when circuit gigging.
andy[/quote]

I think if I had that lot to play with, this post wouldn't exist

[quote name='andy67' post='468655' date='Apr 21 2009, 03:35 PM']the hk head your man uses is supposed to be killer and massively loud for its rating.[/quote]

Believe me IT IS :)

[quote name='andy67' post='468878' date='Apr 21 2009, 06:13 PM']question back at you - how could it possibly??

andy[/quote]

I really don't know what you mean by competing in terms of "headroom and presence", would you explain please?

OK, the performances and recording I've done with my POD X3 LIVE, I went direct into the desk. The same as I have done with my active preamp/DI boxes (a Sansamp and Hartke VXL). There is little difference in the three I think you'll agree. Now, your SVT 8x10 and your Trace valve head is on stage instead of my POD. You take a DI from your head, or mic the cab, and go into the desk. The resultant signal in both set ups comes out of a 3kw PA with subs.

Are you going to tell me my POD can't compete with your rig through the 3kw PA with subs? Because I will beg to differ. In fact, I could probably empty our bowels with my POD through a 3k PA with subs.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='468934' date='Apr 21 2009, 07:07 PM']I really don't know what you mean by competing in terms of "headroom and presence", would you explain please?

OK, the performances and recording I've done with my POD X3 LIVE, I went direct into the desk. The same as I have done with my active preamp/DI boxes (a Sansamp and Hartke VXL). There is little difference in the three I think you'll agree. Now, your SVT 8x10 and your Trace valve head is on stage instead of my POD. You take a DI from your head, or mic the cab, and go into the desk. The resultant signal in both set ups comes out of a 3kw PA with subs.

Are you going to tell me my POD can't compete with your rig through the 3kw PA with subs? Because I will beg to differ. In fact, I could probably empty our bowels with my POD through a 3k PA with subs.[/quote]

OK!

Taking it from my valve head, 4 kt88's and five 12ax7 powered by two brick in size transformers, all wired to give optimum performance and output. now, my amp is rated at 220w it is peaking at near 400w - why? is a question for [b][u]Alex Claber[/u][/b] who is a genius with these things! - the sheer volume and in your face bass that come out of this and the svt cab will knock you off your feet and set your trousers flapping at 100 paces. I have the master volume set full open and can only get the gain to 4, it gets stupid after that!!

When I owned a Pod Pro, in comparison, I found it to be thin and noisy and even worse at volume. It wasn't broken but it may have been a bad example.

I would like to hear both connected either di or other to a 3k rig but as above cant see the amplification of the pod getting close to my V4. remember it is a pre-amp with emulation software controlling.

As for recording, yes I can see the benefit in this however again, for me, I prefer the bass direct into the desk.

andy

[quote name='andy67' post='468977' date='Apr 21 2009, 08:08 PM']OK!

Taking it from my valve head, 4 kt88's and five 12ax7 powered by two brick in size transformers, all wired to give optimum performance and output. now, my amp is rated at 220w it is peaking at near 400w - why? is a question for [b][u]Alex Claber[/u][/b] who is a genius with these things! - the sheer volume and in your face bass that come out of this and the svt cab will knock you off your feet and set your trousers flapping at 100 paces. I have the master volume set full open and can only get the gain to 4, it gets stupid after that!!

When I owned a Pod Pro, in comparison, I found it to be thin and noisy and even worse at volume. It wasn't broken but it may have been a bad example.

I would like to hear both connected either di or other to a 3k rig but as above cant see the amplification of the pod getting close to my V4. remember it is a pre-amp with emulation software controlling.

As for recording, yes I can see the benefit in this however again, for me, I prefer the bass direct into the desk.

andy[/quote]

Sorry mate, I simply can not agree with your thinking.

I'm sure if you play a correctly set-up POD through something like this:

[url="http://www.meyersound.com/products/concertseries/mts-4a/"]http://www.meyersound.com/products/concertseries/mts-4a/[/url]

it'll sound almost indistinguishable from what it's modelling. However I don't think it'll FEEL the same to the player - the way it responds will not be the same. But to amplify a POD to high SPL generally requires a much more expensive rig than one which provides its own colouration. If you always have a great PA and great monitors I can certainly see the appeal!

Alex

[quote name='silddx' post='469193' date='Apr 22 2009, 12:08 AM']Sorry mate, I simply can not agree with your thinking.[/quote]
+1 - Agree with Silddx here. I have an XT Pro Live and to be honest tone off it is bonkers and that's through a set of Senheisser cans, I dread to think what would happen if I put it through a proper PA.
I'm getting the best tones I've ever had through it.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='469246' date='Apr 22 2009, 07:43 AM']I'm sure if you play a correctly set-up POD through something like this:

[url="http://www.meyersound.com/products/concertseries/mts-4a/"]http://www.meyersound.com/products/concertseries/mts-4a/[/url]

it'll sound almost indistinguishable from what it's modelling. However I don't think it'll FEEL the same to the player - the way it responds will not be the same. But to amplify a POD to high SPL generally requires a much more expensive rig than one which provides its own colouration. If you always have a great PA and great monitors I can certainly see the appeal!

Alex[/quote]

[quote]Meyer Sound's patented MTS-4A is a self-powered, four-way loudspeaker system uniquely capable of producing very high sound levels across the full audio range, including lower fundamentals and sub-harmonics. Powerful, yet relatively compact at 17 cubic ft., the MTS-4A offers an integrated solution for many applications — often eliminating the need for subwoofers and associated electronics.[/quote]

nurse!!!! ....nuuuuuuuurse!!!! I need changing!! - That is ...well!! a dream come true I think! - I'm hoping that Forge's active cabinet stands up to what they suggest it can do. I know that I will be using IEMs eventually and therefore the POD is perfect.. but should I need monitoring support, I would defintely look to use something like this instead of a head / cab combination.

[url="http://forgebass.com/products.html"]http://forgebass.com/products.html[/url]

AX2105

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='469630' date='Apr 22 2009, 02:35 PM']+1 - Agree with Silddx here. I have an XT Pro Live and to be honest tone off it is bonkers and that's through a set of Senheisser cans, I dread to think what would happen if I put it through a proper PA.
I'm getting the best tones I've ever had through it.[/quote]

I don't think he can have set up his patches properly, or the output parameters, or the master/patch volume levels.

You certainly have to be a certain type of player to embrace things like the pod. It does take a lot of tweaking and mucking about to get what you want, but some people love that (like me). If you know how to get it, you can get anything you want from the pod. Aside from the whole digital/analogue argument (I can't tell the difference) then there is really no reason to say that it is an inferior piece of equipment to any other solution. To say that 'if it was any good how come everyone doesn't use them' is plainly ridiculous.

Some players like simplicity and that is fair enough, but there are amazing options out there for those who like to tweak and fiddle. In all honesty once you have your patches set up and tried them in various settings, it becomes the most simple piece of plug 'n' play equipment out there because one box does it all!

Cheers
ped

I think you're exactly right ped! Like hardly anyone bought the V-bass because it is just too complicated but those who embraced its potential love it. I'm a complete neanderthal when it comes to using my gear - I love just having a volume knob on my power amp and that's it (bar the few passive controls on my bass). But if you're willing to tune it in and have monitoring that can do it justice I think there's a lot to be said for the better modelling gear.

Alex

sorry don't see it nor hear it!

siddx, my rig shifts enough air to knock you over without going through a 3k rig - can the same be said for the pod? and herein now lies the issue: portability yep great as long as you have a roadie with a van capable of carrying a huge rig! sorry contradiction there is immense!

anytime you want to put your pod up against my rig great! as I said been, seen, done, read the book and wore the t-shirt, the pod just did not do it for me! but hey different strokes for different folks! the pod has no headroom nor presence just a set of emulation patches amplified and given I repeat given potential headroom and presence by either a. a pa system or b. a power amp and speaker cab which again contradicts portability!

I'm not having a go nor belittling the pod just giving my opinion and experience with them.

andy

Edited by andy67

[quote name='andy67' post='469796' date='Apr 22 2009, 05:56 PM']sorry don't see it nor hear it!

siddx, my rig shifts enough air to knock you over without going through a 3k rig - can the same be said for the pod? and herein now lies the issue: portability yep great as long as you have a roadie with a van capable of carrying a huge rig! sorry contradiction there is immense!

anytime you want to put your pod up against my rig great! as I said been, seen, done, read the book and wore the t-shirt, the pod just did not do it for me! but hey different strokes for different folks! the pod has no headroom nor presence just a set of emulation patches amplified and given I repeat given potential headroom and presence by either a. a pa system or b. a power amp and speaker cab which again contradicts portability!

I'm not having a go nor belittling the pod just giving my opinion and experience with them.

andy[/quote]

Hi Andy,

Not sure what you mean - of course the pod doesn't shift any air, it has no speaker. I used it as a pre into my V4 for a touch of reverb, as a pre direct to desk, as a AISO driver and audio interface for recording... all sorts. You cannot compare a pod to a bass rig as it is a different thing. I think I know what you are getting at but the advantage of the pod is not only a monitoring solution (where the venue has decent PA) but as a whole host of other things too.

Match a pod to a power amp (I have my Vbas into a 1u 800w poweramp) and you essentially have an amp head which is capable of powering any speaker and shifting just as much air as you mention...

Like I mentioned, I used mine in all kinds of ways alongside some of the 'best' valve amplifiers in the business and the pod stood up to them in every way weather used live with a poweramp or as one of the many other things it can do which a straight valve head cannot. The Vbass is even better!

ped

hi ped,

stupid bit of argumentation there by me! I know the pod doesn't shift air.

however, I have never heard a pod stand up to valve amp ever. I mean, you know, you just simply cant redefine the laws of physics. A DSP, at this very point in time, unless someone finds the solution to infinitive sampling, will never faithfully nor truly recreate an analogue signal but it gives it a bloody good try!

Again, not everywhere has a decent pa so the portability issue raises it's head again. I do think though if these things were that good everybody would use one - it is not a futile argument it is just plain fact - if the pod could recreate my rig then does anyone really think I wouldn't walk that route? I'm 42 overweight and unfit!!

And yes analogue is far better than digital, just to flame the argument, suggesting other wise is just plain silly! I'm glad you guys all love it so much but it just did not do it for me and I really don't see it as a real solution for bass players! my opinion of course.

andy

Edited by andy67

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='467199' date='Apr 20 2009, 08:50 AM']Dare I say it, have you actually even picked up a POD? The case is metal, the recessed button array is plastic, the knobs/controls are just like the knobs on a regular amp. They are very robust bits of kit.
P[/quote]
Spill beer,have a fat lad leap on it....water,sweat..spit....Plastic arrays...sorry,mea culpa.I thought they were plastic.....I still dont see digital technology being able to cope on a metal gig,Ive had too many Line6 Amp/Cab bands die on a gig...and They dont sound as good...I dont think they can take a pounding like a traditional amp set up...

I like the visual element...Yes I dont play 'Nice' music....Yes I know they are lightweight..and yeah,I use a sansamp if Im travelling far..But I still dont see the real thing as being eclipsed or replaced by a little box that pretends.*

*Jaded by the fact Ive been connected up to one on a demo,and it sounded sh*te....Great for a studio in a bedroom,but not live...saying that whats the difference between Geddy Lee using a Rackmount Sansamp and in the ear system and Pods...nowt really...