Why become a member? ×

Sci-fi Pedal Appreciation

admiralchew

I know from some very enjoyable conversations here on BassChat that some of you (not naming any names) are big Star Wars fans, and I am too.

I’ve been feverishly trying to build a collection of Star Wars pedals to make a Star Wars/sci-fi pedal board (a very big thanks to everyone that has helped!). I thought it would be fun to start a thread to showcase sci-fi pedals for those as obsessed as me.

I’ve put a picture of my most Star Wars-y pedals below but would be keen to see your sci-fi pedals too! I definitely didn’t start this thread because I want to torture myself by knowing what else is out there, no siree… (I suspect my regular wanted ad for a T-70 and R-1 may be expanded as a result of this).

96D0E77C-F685-40AB-8699-1587A295A816.thumb.jpeg.6078b254a8bc781d618b4d3c1ba8ae5e.jpeg

Apologies to anyone else who may have done this before. I’m not trying to usurp your thread; I’m just rubbish at using the BassChat search function. I know this thread won’t be to everyone’s taste, but to those into sci-fi, please enjoy and please contribute.

Bonus picture of a Dune themed pedal to get things rolling.

F724B6DC-5F77-4209-A5CB-91D4A2C4F2AB.thumb.jpeg.d24abf7b3faa4c59ef7fa3f42763e452.jpeg

• Like 6

I wouldn't say I'm obsessed 😉 ... but I really do like sci-fi and sometimes put something along those lines on my pedal builds.

Ghost in the Shell

grafik.png.f270c371b1bf6c54a7545995e227acc2.png

Akira

grafik.png.0b3f75fdff7f0e5c62acb4ae0aafb8b2.png

grafik.png.e740adf9a59728105c07d9ef538d8cf7.png

grafik.png.5595355187d9d88144c1d0d17c8d29f3.png

Dune

grafik.png.c007b8d8d60e58b08b0b64c9634b2134.png

Moebius

grafik.png.d01bb20ad2e5ef9e7b435965738b241d.png

grafik.png.7a532ed8dc34f59a2e1e0ffb42bb4a53.png

grafik.png.1d5ffd868cf6926959a019ad6c36ee90.png

B movie type sci-fi stuff

grafik.png.7c0b86ca70b419b2f60e0cea16ee83d5.png

grafik.png.91773fea8e69ae4c91fe7a89fead5591.png

grafik.png.86b93613ac1b5399b631199d0c830b6d.png

grafik.png.c3bc013517476b35fd5f3ac3e4111473.png

grafik.png.73d65ffc06db98c5f4defe4b052a0e62.png

grafik.png

Edited by fuzzonaut
  • Like 7

I have no specific sci-if pedal projects, but I do plan on building a pedalboard that I want to look like a section of floor grating from the Nostromo, in which I will find a place for a Wayland-Yutani logo.

I do have some pedals that I have made myself that are so far unpainted. They tend to have pretentious names, such as: “The Scent Of Red Ruin Borne Upon A Mourning Breeze” (a Body Rot II. Mostly) and “Dank And Fetid Earth Beneath A Doom Coloured Sun” (this has two Big Muffs in it, a Musket and a ‘73 Ram’s Head. Both modified). The latter of which I intend to use a photo on that I took looking out to sea from a Welsh beach. I have inverted the colours and it really does look like an alien landscape. I think some of the other pedals have potential for a splash of sci-if influence. If I do go down that route, they’d almost definitely be Xenomorph based, with maybe a smattering of Predator.

• Like 2

Wow! For some reason I wasn’t expecting self-made pedals. They are excellent! I really need to up my game and get building.

@fuzzonaut the designs on your pedals are fantastic, particularly the Fuzz Boxx. How did you apply them? I’m happy to go along pretending you’re not obsessed for now but you are making it difficult.

@bobbass4k that is a spectacular board! Is that Laika towards the bottom left? Do your pedals do similar things or do they run the gamut?

@KingBollock please post a picture if you do make A Doom Coloured Sun with an inverted Welsh beach. It may not be sci-fi exactly but it does sound interesting.

• Like 1

Thanks @admiralchew and @3below for the kind words.

What I do to dress up my builds is:

- prepare the graphics with Photoshop (drill template integrated)

- print them on good quality, self-adhesive, transparent foil

- apply a varnish that's used for oil paintings

- put it on the enclosure

- drill

12 hours ago, 3below said:

@fuzzonaut  Any thoughts of full size artworks?

I'm not sure what you mean ...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 3below said:

Full size artworks -  I was thinking larger area works,  A4, A3, poster size, whatever size.  I would happily have them hanging on my walls :)  I am also a lifelong keen Sci-Fi reader.

Ah, I see .... but nope, no plans to do more than my pedals.

And I'll add projects in the works. For a while now, I wanted to do something with Barbarella, so finally here she is on an upcoming build.

Mini-1-print-j.thumb.jpg.1be017cc8e0f8b66da5698e5bb6273b8.jpg

Also upcoming, a Tonebender with blackjack and ...

923381134_RangeBender-w.thumb.png.e0bbbf1a04cf0a57d0942d2d3aff6f0b.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, admiralchew said:

Wow! For some reason I wasn’t expecting self-made pedals. They are excellent! I really need to up my game and get building.

@fuzzonaut the designs on your pedals are fantastic, particularly the Fuzz Boxx. How did you apply them? I’m happy to go along pretending you’re not obsessed for now but you are making it difficult.

@bobbass4k that is a spectacular board! Is that Laika towards the bottom left? Do your pedals do similar things or do they run the gamut?

@KingBollock please post a picture if you do make A Doom Coloured Sun with an inverted Welsh beach. It may not be sci-fi exactly but it does sound interesting.

Close, it's Cosmo the space dog from the guardians of the galaxy comics - a Russian space dog who got sucked through a wormhole (I think?) and got superintelligence and psychic powers.

My designs are usually related to the pedal or its name, even if it only makes sense to me. So that ones because it's a clone of the Spaceman redstone, and it uses a Russian ge transistor. The one next to is a heavily modified centaur clone, the guy on it as a centauri from Babylon 5... Etc.

There's a lot of drive pedals but I build a range, the top row is mostly modulation, the star wars rebels in the bottom right is an EQD organiser clone. I'm probably due a PYPB post actually, I'll do one with a full walkthrough.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, admiralchew said:

That’s fantastic!

It turns out my avatar name is a character in Fururama, although my use of it predates the show’s use of it.

I’m a big fan:

A5481537-2B58-48DE-937F-D4E2E80D370C.thumb.jpeg.30ab9e4dd1db6d17364e5e5f812a7d80.jpeg

Those are cool! What's the pedal all the way to the right? Knob labelling is  🤣

3 hours ago, fuzzonaut said:

Those are cool! What's the pedal all the way to the right? Knob labelling is  🤣

The pedal on the right is a Gojira Ants in my Eyes Johnson (from Rick & Morty). It’s based on the mammoth fuzz. The control labelling does make it a little more of a challenge to use.

@bobbass4kmy partner and I have been diving into Guardians so I should have known about Cosmo. I convinced her to watch all of Rebels too so I was pleased you pointed out your pedal!

On 05/10/2022 at 19:44, admiralchew said:

This was the original version I came up with, but it was a while ago now and I have plans to further modify the pedal before finishing it.

354273140_DankFetid8.thumb.jpg.6b743a6a04251d19156caedf6dbb1548.jpg

If I remember correctly, the photo I took was at the same beach where Dobby (the House Elf) was buried.

• Like 2

On 07/10/2022 at 17:23, KingBollock said:

This was the original version I came up with, but it was a while ago now and I have plans to further modify the pedal before finishing it.

354273140_DankFetid8.thumb.jpg.6b743a6a04251d19156caedf6dbb1548.jpg

If I remember correctly, the photo I took was at the same beach where Dobby (the House Elf) was buried.

That’s fantastic! It reminds me of the Strymon NightSky. Extra points for the Dobby reference too!

1 hour ago, bartelby said:

This is a design I drew up, a few years back, for a Zen Drive based pedal. My aim for this winter is to actually build it.

Zen-drive-Enclosure.jpg.86e7335c5bec7d2c63621f7ba0004936.jpg

Very cool design! I like the LED placement.

That also reminds me that I've used HR Giger stuff on some of my builds. 

• Like 2