Why become a member? ×

MIDI Pedal for Starting/Pausing Logic

BigRedX

I was hoping to do this with my Line6 Helix, but so far no method has been suggested that doesn't also interfere with my normal use of this device, so I need to look elsewhere for this functionality.

Both of the bands I play in use a MacBook Pro running Logic Pro X to provide audio backing (mainly drums) and MIDI control of various on-stage devices. At the moment I control this from the keyboard of the MacBook. I would like to be able to start and pause Logic playback using a footswitch. I don't need a massive/comprehensive multi-function device, just something that does these two things (on Logic they are both activated by pressing the space bar, once to start, again to pause and again to restart from the paused position). Ideally a single footswitch and even better if it had an LED to show it is running. Connection to the Mac can either be via USB or MIDI DIN cable (MIDI DIN preferred). 

Anything like this available? The simpler the better.

3 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

This can be done wirelessly with the iRig Blueboard. I had one for a while, intending to use it with software loopers on my iPad. It worked perfectly with that.

Thanks!

Interesting, but includes several things I don't like for gigging use - wireless (and Bluetooth wireless at that) and battery powered. There doesn't even appear to be an option to power it from a standard USB mains adaptor. 

And too large and expensive considering I'll probably only be using one of the switches on it. However I'll bear it in mind as a last resort of nothing more suitable gets suggested.

40 minutes ago, Velarian said:

Ah, damn. The description suggested it might be Mac compatible. 

It is Mac compatible for operation. It just requires a Windows machine to program it. I'd have though for something as simple as that they'd be able to write the programming app as a web page.

• Like 2

Homebrew it. Found you some example code.

https://docs.arduino.cc/tutorials/micro/keyboard-press

easy enough to add a resistor and led to another pin

put it all in a Hammond box. Neutrik d chassis socket for usb. Put in jack socket. That all lives by computer (and powered over usb)

use remote unlatched switch to plug into jack socket. This lives on stage. (I personally use a stagg piano pedal type)

39 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I can't think of a simple device as I use a 12 step (although I am sure I saw a footpedal midi switch), and I wasn't part of the conversation on the line6, but is the problem you just lack a spare footswitch on the helix?

There is a spare footswitch on my Helix - the one labelled "Preset/Stomp" which I never use. However it is "hard-wired" to this function (bizarre for a device that is essentially a computer), so even though I can overlay my stop/pause function on it, it still acts as the Preset/Stomp switch so when I activate the sequencer it also changes the functions of all the other foot switches on the Helix which is not what I want as I loose access to my snapshot switches. I had been investigating the possibility of using one of the external EXP sockets, but I have just had an email from Line6 saying this isn't possible. Still until it is possible to completely customise the function of each individual switch on the Helix, I will need to use a separate footswitch for my sequencer functions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MichaelDean said:

Anotehr option is the Hotone Ampero Control footswitch. It can be wireless, or you can plug it in via USB or MIDI.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/footswitches/hotone-ampero-control-bluetooth-midi-controller-footswitch

Thanks. I'm looking at the full spec on the Hotone web site now. I'm not keen on the programming interface being mobile device only, especially since it will spend all of it's life plugged into a real computer, but apart from that (and the none locking PSU socket) it looks like a possibility.

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Homebrew it. Found you some example code.

https://docs.arduino.cc/tutorials/micro/keyboard-press

easy enough to add a resistor and led to another pin

put it all in a Hammond box. Neutrik d chassis socket for usb. Put in jack socket. That all lives by computer (and powered over usb)

use remote unlatched switch to plug into jack socket. This lives on stage. (I personally use a stagg piano pedal type)

Thanks. This might be my fall-back position if I can't find something that does exactly what I want out of the box.

Since I posted my original question I have been doing further exploration and if I'm going to have an additional footswitch unit on stage I might as well be able to control all the main sequencer functions that I use live from it, so I'm looking for something that can activate three separate functions. How easy will it be to modify this device to accept three footswitch commands and output three different keypresses (or key combinations) one for each switch? Please bear in mind that I am marginally dyslexic and coding can be somewhat problematic because of this, so I would probably need everything spelled out for me.

Edited by BigRedX

9 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Thanks. This might be my fall-back position if I can't find something that does exactly what I want out of the box.

Since I posted my original question I have been doing further exploration and if I'm going to have an additional footswitch unit on stage I might as well be able to control all the main sequencer functions that I use live from it, so I'm looking for something that can activate three separate functions. How easy will it be to modify this device to accept three footswitch commands and output three different keypresses (or key combinations) one for each switch? Please bear in mind that I am marginally dyslexic and coding can be somewhat problematic because of this, so I would probably need everything spelled out for me.

Easy. I've built a foot controller for a teleprompt that does space, up arrow, down arrow....

The only thing that may be an issue for you is if you want LEDs (you can get around it but there's more code involved and ideally youll need to power over the cable so you haven't got any other PSUs on stage with you. All doable though.

27 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

#include "Keyboard.h"

//declaring button pins (this is where you solder your momentary switches to - other side of switch goes to ground)
const int buttonPinA = 2;          
const int buttonPinA = 3;          
const int buttonPinA = 4;          

int previousButtonStateA = HIGH; 
int previousButtonStateB = HIGH; 
int previousButtonStateC = HIGH; 

void setup() {
  //declare the buttons as input_pullup
  pinMode(buttonPinA, INPUT_PULLUP);  
  pinMode(buttonPinB, INPUT_PULLUP);  
  pinMode(buttonPinC, INPUT_PULLUP);  

Keyboard.begin();
}

void loop() {
  //checking the state of the button
  int buttonStateA = digitalRead(buttonPinA);
  int buttonStateB = digitalRead(buttonPinB);
  int buttonStateC = digitalRead(buttonPinC);

////////// button A

if (buttonStateA == LOW && previousButtonStateA == HIGH) {
      // and it's currently pressed:
    Keyboard.press(32); // ASCII character for space
    delay(50);
  }

if (buttonStateA == HIGH && previousButtonStateA == LOW) {
      // and it's currently released:
    Keyboard.release(32); // ASCII character for space
    delay(50);
  }

////////// button B

if (buttonStateB == LOW && previousButtonStateB == HIGH) {
    Keyboard.press(97); // ASCII character for a
    delay(50);
  }

if (buttonStateB == HIGH && previousButtonStateB == LOW) {
    Keyboard.release(97); // ASCII character for a
    delay(50);
  }

////////// button C

if (buttonStateC == LOW && previousButtonStateC == HIGH) {
    Keyboard.press(98); // ASCII character for b
    delay(50);
  }

if (buttonStateC == HIGH && previousButtonStateC == LOW) {
    Keyboard.release(98); // ASCII character for b
    delay(50);
  }

///////////////

previousButtonStateA = buttonStateA;
  previousButtonStateB = buttonStateB;
  previousButtonStateC = buttonStateC;

}

This should be the easiest for you to read. This will give you three buttons.

When you plug the arduino on over USB, it will identify as a keyboard. Then the three buttons you click are just like pressing a key on a standard keyboard- output being through that USB connection. I'd probably use something like an ethernet cable with ethercons on the end to connect the unlatched switch box to the box housing the arduino.

If you can solder, you can do this.

They are usually a solder point... typically D2, D3, D4... GND is the ground. So it will be (in the case of pin2 ) a cable soldered to  D2 on the board -> the other end of that cable soldered to one side of the unlatched switch . Then... another cable soldered to the other side of the switch -> and then the other side of that cable soldered to GND)

(there will be three switched soldered to GND in the end.

ABX00027_04.back_9494be5a-b092-441e-a549

Edited by EBS_freak

Just check you buy a board that is compatible (e.g. of being a USB keyboard). I haven't checked that board above (it may not - EDIT - it is). That's literally just to show you the pin outs.

Off the top of my head, I think it's Leonardo arduinos (and knock offs) - a compatible board is probably named in that initial link

Edited by EBS_freak

The more I think about this the better it sounds. 

Since I'll be using 3 foot switches I'll probably be best off putting the Arduino in the same box as them and then just running a single USB cable back to the Mac. It should also be easier for my LED status light - only the play/pause switch needs an indicator as the other two are going to be macro triggers. Will there be any power issues with using a long USB cable, or would I be better using a separate USB power adapter? There's always plenty of sockets stage front when we play.

There’s a length restriction on USB. Think the spec says it’s only about 2 metres. You can power a board independent of USB (usually from a 3.3 or 5v supply) however, you will still need that long data run to your computer… which will knacker your design.

Edited by EBS_freak

Just remembered that somewhere I have a USB booster system that allowed me to run USB1 over a 15m cat5 ethernet cable. Just need to fit ethercon connectors to the pedal housing and the patch panel on the rack that holds the Mac.

Now all I have to do is price up all the components and see how it stacks up against one of the ready-made systems that have been recommended.