Why become a member? ×

MIDI Pedal for Starting/Pausing Logic

BigRedX

On 28/09/2022 at 12:55, EBS_freak said:

Just check you buy a board that is compatible (e.g. of being a USB keyboard). I haven't checked that board above (it may not). That's literally just to show you the pin outs.

Off the top of my head, I think it's Leonardo arduinos (and knock offs) - a compatible board is probably named in that initial link

The Pro Micro can also be used - I've got one set up as a mouse jiggler. 

Well, having priced-up the parts and accounted for the hassle of having the build something myself, I have bought on the recommendation of someone on the SOS forums an Elgato Stream Deck Pedal. This has three foot switches and connects via a supplied decent quality 2.5mm USB cable. Together with the Keyboard Maestro utility, this has allowed me to set up two different pedal configuration for the slightly different requirements of the two bands I will be using this with.

The first has Start/Pause (space bar) on the centre pedal and a trigger for a macro I have created which closes the currently open Logic project, selects the next song in the list and opens it on the right pedal.

The other has Start/Pause on the centre and then using markers in Logic for each song, the left and right pedals move backwards and forwards to the beginning of the next marker in the time line, allowing me to move to the start point of each song.

The pedals themselves are slightly different from the typical musical device footswitch in that they are hinged at the front (rather than the back) so you have to push down the whole pedal to get the action to register. This shows the pedal's intended design for working out of sight with streaming software as you can rest your feet on the front of the pedals without triggering anything. Other than that the unit appears to be sufficiently robust (USB connections not withstanding) for gig use.

I've tested it out on my desktop Mac and everything appears to be working fine, and all I have to watch is that I have the correct Finder Window selected before I start, otherwise my Macro will open something other than the next song. This won't be a problem on the Laptop I use for gigs as I only ever have one Finder Window open at any one time. The big test will come at the next band rehearsal in 2 weeks time.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Reviving this topic with some observations after using this system for the last 6 months. 

Firstly while the reverse hinging of the pedals takes a bit of getting used to, it has now saved me on a couple of occasions when I have inadvertently hit the front of one of the pedals during a gig. Because you have to press down on the back of the pedal to trigger an action I got away without inadvertently turning off the backing or loading the next song while we were in the middle of playing the current one!

I was a bit worried about the durability/reliability of the extra-long USB lead I got to allow me to have the computer located away from the playing area. However so far it has stood up well to the rehearsing a gigging rigours and I make sure that I always carry a spare which I haven't yet needed.

And the thing which in part prompted this new post: For all the recommendations here and on SOS I downloaded the manuals whre possible, and when it wasn't sent tech support emails to the companies in question detailing my specific requirements. Elgato in particular were very good about replying promptly and giving me all the information that I needed. Today completely out of the blue I finally received a reply to my request for more information about the iRig pedal, that was basically non-committal about whether it would do what I wanted. I couldn't resist letting them know that they were 6 months too late to influence my purchase, and had gone with an alternative product whose technical support department answered my requests promptly and gave me all the information I need to make an informed decision. I don't suppose they care, but for me I've had two encounters with IK Multimedia technical support and both have left me underwhelm and reluctant to consider any of their products in the future.

Also, which I forgot to mention in my previous post, since I am now controlling most of my Helix patch, snapshot, synchronisation and parameter changes via MIDI from the backing it has the added advantage that the red flashing LED on the Helix tap tempo switch turns blue when MIDI clock is being received, which means that that it acts as an indicator that the backing is running.