Why become a member? ×

Time to review Basschat on sale

J66Bass

Maybe I've misunderstood but I'm struggling to see a problem here. 

Has a seller listed a bass on Basschat for sale and got it for sale through a shop? 

If so then there will likely be two different prices to reflect the prices incurred in either transaction. 

I've currently got some things for sale on the both Facebook marketplace and eBay. The price on eBay is higher to reflect the cost and time involved in packing and posting the item and ebays fees, against someone from Facebook just turning up, paying and taking the item. 

The only other two scenarios I can see in the OP is that either the shop is lifting the sale post from here and re-advertising in their shop, hoping to buy the bass from here if they get a sale in their shop. Pretty risky and probably unlikely. 

Or they've bought a bass from here and are selling it through their shop at an increased price. That's just how a shop works. 

It's the sellers choice to sell to who ever they want for any price they choose. If they are happy to sell something for £500, 99% don't care if a private individual pays £500 or if a shop pays £500. The seller can't be expected to refuse to sell to someone if they need/want the money.

I understand your point of view, but if you want to buy something, and it's for sale at a good price, you've got to be quick off the mark! I've missed many a bass that I'd have wanted to buy because I saw the ad a bit late. 

At the end of the day, the seller can choose who to sell to and what price they sell at. We can't govern that.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

It's the sellers choice to sell to who ever they want for any price they choose. If they are happy to sell something for £500, 99% don't care if a private individual pays £500 or if a shop pays £500. The seller can't be expected to refuse to sell to someone if they need/want the money.

I understand your point of view, but if you want to buy something, and it's for sale at a good price, you've got to be quick off the mark! I've missed many a bass that I'd have wanted to buy because I saw the ad a bit late. 

At the end of the day, the seller can choose who to sell to and what price they sell at. We can't govern that.

The same can be said for car dealers. I’ve been looking recently and a local Honda guy pips me to the sale every time and sells the vehicle on at a price increase. Irritating but they aren’t doing anything wrong, just making a living. If this site was called HondaChat he would definitely be a member and scouring the for sale section.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

I think everyone knows the advantages, and sometimes disadvantages, of buying and selling on here, rather than from a shop.  I'm glad you enjoy it, but unfortunately the marketplace is open to all  and you've got to be quick off the mark to get what you want.  If a shop does buy a bass and sell it for more elsewhere, there's not a lot we can do! Just don't hesitate next time :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1