Why become a member? ×

'The Bassist Is Revolting!'

Ok, slight dilemma:

I'm in a fairly competent rock covers outfit, with 4 gents who're highly successful in their jobs, and only have the band as a hobby and nothing more. They don't mind playing the same spit&sawdust venues for a pittance week in&week out, will not entertain the idea of upping our game and trying to get even a few (3-4 per annum) decent wedding/bday/bah mitzvahs/etc and only like to play guitar-w4nk1n rock...and frankly I'm getting kinda bored.

Therefore I wanna start my own band, doing more Stevie W, Motown, Stax, Funk, a higher class of rock, and a higher grade of venue. I've got a few guys in mind to fill the vacancies, but I would like to steal two of the guys from the band.

Has anyone else had this sorta mutiny in mind before? whats the best way to go about it, or should I just find some other guys?

Edited by phil_the_bassist

I've done something similar in the past when trying to get out of a pretty boring band to form a soul / funk outfit.

All I did was to let a couple of the band know that I fancied putting a 2nd band together to play different material with a view to the odd gig outside of the main band.

The singer & drummer were both really up for it & suggested we go for a beer to discuss. We agreed what we fancied doing, recruited a guitarist, had a single rehearsal & the three of us resigned from the other band leaving the irritating guitarist & his crap friend keyboard player to stew in the own 'middle of the road' juices :)

[quote name='molan' post='466216' date='Apr 18 2009, 04:16 PM']I've done something similar in the past when trying to get out of a pretty boring band to form a soul / funk outfit.

All I did was to let a couple of the band know that I fancied putting a 2nd band together to play different material with a view to the odd gig outside of the main band.

The singer & drummer were both really up for it & suggested we go for a beer to discuss. We agreed what we fancied doing, recruited a guitarist, had a single rehearsal & the three of us resigned from the other band leaving the irritating guitarist & his crap friend keyboard player to stew in the own 'middle of the road' juices :)[/quote]

Sounds about right! There's definately no contracts, nothing that says we can't have a second band...sounds like a few lads with be gettin a word in their shell-like tonight apres gig :rolleyes:

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='466215' date='Apr 18 2009, 04:14 PM']There's no rule that says people can only be in one band. If you think they might be interested, ask them.[/quote]

+1
just do both bands ..

Some people really don't want he hassle and aggravation that is the function band mallarchy and just want to play for fun in a pub. that's not wrong, it just seems be different to what you want.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='molan' post='466216' date='Apr 18 2009, 04:16 PM']All I did was to let a couple of the band know that I fancied putting a 2nd band together to play different material with a view to the odd gig outside of the main band.[/quote]

The only problem here is that if you invite band members 2 and 3 to join, and they decline, and then band members 4 and 5 find out about it, they'll wonder why you didn't invite them. Might create tensions within the existing band.

S.P.

I've just got to the same point - I've left one outfit with £6k of work in the book & left my long time rock trio because I really want to do something different & more musically challenging...

Obviously I have my jazz work, shows & classical playing/conducting, but I really want to push the boundaries a little. A little Flecktones, anyone?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='466320' date='Apr 18 2009, 07:09 PM']"Therefore I wanna start my own band, doing more Stevie W, Motown, Stax, Funk, a higher class of rock, and a higher grade of venue."

I wonder how many bassists on here are thinking, I'd like to do exactly that too? I would![/quote]
I sat and watched Standing In The Shadows Of Motown with our drummer a month or so ago, and we immediately both thought of putting a band together just to do that.

I'd absolutely love it.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='466324' date='Apr 18 2009, 07:14 PM']I sat and watched Standing In The Shadows Of Motown with our drummer a month or so ago, and we immediately both thought of putting a band together just to do that.

I'd absolutely love it.[/quote]

Hi Pete

Our singer is going by the summer and we have an Aretha soundalike lined up, so watch this space.....!

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='466229' date='Apr 18 2009, 04:44 PM']The only problem here is that if you invite band members 2 and 3 to join, and they decline, and then band members 4 and 5 find out about it, they'll wonder why you didn't invite them. Might create tensions within the existing band.

S.P.[/quote]

I didn't invite anyone - just mentioned I was going to do something else & they invited themselves, lol.

Mind you, the other members wouldn't have touched a funk band with a barge pole so I was on reasonably solid ground.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='466230' date='Apr 18 2009, 04:46 PM']I've just got to the same point - I've left one outfit with £6k of work in the book & left my long time rock trio because I really want to do something different & more musically challenging...

Obviously I have my jazz work, shows & classical playing/conducting, but I really want to push the boundaries a little. A little Flecktones, anyone?[/quote]

No problem, I'll start building a guitar shaped electronic drum kit. Both gigs I went to I spent more time watching Futureman than big Vic.