Why become a member? ×

Xotic XJ1T Repair - Strip to fix - Wax 'au natural' or re-paint?

carlsim

13 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Absolutely superb result! Like it a lot.

I would send the pix to the contact you made at Xotic, thanking them for their help and that this bass had nice wood under the finish.

I would also create a Word document of all the steps you did (pretty much this thread!), print it out, and keep it with the bass. Then when you sell it on there is a) provenance that it really is a refinished Xotic and not a neck on a random body and b) a neat record for the next owner.

Good point - will get on that!

• Like 1

On 07/10/2022 at 14:34, MrSpace said:

I love it! The bare wood looks gorgeous. The wooden pickup covers are a nice touch. 

Thank you - I will say the pick up covers are the stock Xotic ones - one of the reasons a like the bass! 

I am now rethinking the back control cover to match the pup covers, will be a better contrast and look cooler I think!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

ABDBE09B-20CC-4FB2-BCAF-E3587B3EC94F.thumb.jpeg.5525061fdb69d0c7f485ddd4b0b7f7b2.jpeg

One last update, after much deliberation I remade the control cavity cover in American Black walnut which matches the pick up covers. Luckily i found some at the correct thickness so have recut a new one and I must admit, it looks much better. To me the ash one was trying too hard to look the same and yet, looked too different. A contrast looks much better! It's oiled but not to bring out a sheen so again, will match the pup covers.

Anyway, first outing with the revamped Xotic tonight - looking forward to it!

Edited by carlsim
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, SumOne said:

Inspiring stuff! I had my eye on that bass when it was at Bass Direct and was wondering how I'd go about repairing it - it looks great the way you have done it. 

Thanks. I was a bit miffed with BD when I bought it as they assured me it was just paint damage but it went a lot further than that and minor cracks had to be stabilised but all in all, a successful and I am well chuffed with the end result.

• Like 2