Why become a member? ×

Couriers that Insure musical instruments

TheGreek

32 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Read the small print. As monsieur fretmesiter says,  no good

I'm sure that if a sender meets the requirements exactly it will be fine.

But the way the terms are drafted - particularly this bit...

6.2. THE PARCEL INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER:

ITEMS SHIPPED THAT ARE SOLD/PURCHASED ON AN ONLINE MARKETPLACE BY INDIVIDUALS. ONLY OFFICIAL BUSINESSES WILL BE COVERED.

https://www.secursus.com/en-gb/terms-and-conditions/

Basschat classifieds might be an online marketplace = not covered.

Any of us buying and selling as individuals = possibly not covered. - that's most of us banjaxed for a start!

But their header of "Payment is done on a case-by-case basis. Our service doesn’t require prepaid credits, and no need to subscribe or commit to a number of parcels. Therefore, it is open to everyone, whether you are an individual or a registered business."

Makes it even more confusing. So does that mean individuals are ok but not if they are using an Online Marketplace? What is their exact definition of an online marketplace? That doesn't appear in their list of definitions at all.

Ebay will obviously be an online marketplace.

But classifieds... does the fact that Basschat requires a fee to sell make it an "online marketplace" different from somewhere else that doesn't charge a fee?

That really needs clarification before I'd trust them with something expensive.

Edited by fretmeister
  • Like 2

I've sent them an email:

"

Dear Sirs

I was looking at your tems - Art 6.2 in particular.

Can you confirm how you define "online marketplace" please? I understand that services like ebay would be an online marketplace, but there are some guitar forums where private sellers have to pay a small fee or subscription to be able to sell.

It's no different to a fee for putting a private advert in a newspaper. The website owners do not get a cut of the sale proceeds or take any interest in the transaction at all. Would that be considered an online marketplace and thus mean you would decline cover? What about classified adverts where the website does not charge a fee at all? Would that be different?

Perhaps your list of definitions could be updated to clarify that.

Thank you, and kind regards"

I'll post any response I get.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I'm sure that if a sender meets the requirements exactly it will be fine.

But the way the terms are drafted - particularly this bit...

6.2. THE PARCEL INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER:

ITEMS SHIPPED THAT ARE SOLD/PURCHASED ON AN ONLINE MARKETPLACE BY INDIVIDUALS. ONLY OFFICIAL BUSINESSES WILL BE COVERED.

https://www.secursus.com/en-gb/terms-and-conditions/

Basschat classifieds might be an online marketplace = not covered.

Any of us buying and selling as individuals = possibly not covered. - that's most of us banjaxed for a start!

But their header of "Payment is done on a case-by-case basis. Our service doesn’t require prepaid credits, and no need to subscribe or commit to a number of parcels. Therefore, it is open to everyone, whether you are an individual or a registered business."

Makes it even more confusing. So does that mean individuals are ok but not if they are using an Online Marketplace? What is their exact definition of an online marketplace? That doesn't appear in their list of definitions at all.

Ebay will obviously be an online marketplace.

But classifieds... does the fact that Basschat requires a fee to sell make it an "online marketplace" different from somewhere else that doesn't charge a fee?

That really needs clarification before I'd trust them with something expensive.

That is exactly why i dont use them. Unclear and confusing T+T's   is a recipe  for get out clauses, IMO.

Well done for contacting them. They could easily do business here if their terms were much more transparent for us private individuals

• Like 1

Here you go, Overland Express.

https://www.overlandexpress.co.uk/guitar-courier?fbclid=IwAR3fK12yJXVe5pSTJRoCn6PCVLrrwmn_D6OEojzQ-hn3VTwN_IRVMXrmLfg

Used them loads after a recommendation on here and they were really good but I didn`t claim on their insurance. As they are now advertising themselves as a "guitar courier" I would give it a try. The main advantage of them, is you can actually phone up and speak to them.

Shocking I know :D

Just read a bit and it must be in a hard case. But to be honest, I wouldn`t send a bass without one these days. A cheap one from Gear4muscic or a s/hand one would do the job.

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

https://www.overlandexpress.co.uk/guitar-courier?fbclid=IwAR3fK12yJXVe5pSTJRoCn6PCVLrrwmn_D6OEojzQ-hn3VTwN_IRVMXrmLfg

Used them loads after a recommendation on here and they were really good but I didn`t claim on their insurance. As they are now advertising themselves as a "guitar courier" I would give it a try. The main advantage of them, is you can actually phone up and speak to them.

Just read a bit and it must be in a hard case. But to be honest, I wouldn`t send a bass without one these days. A cheap one from Gear4muscic or a s/hand one would do the job.

Actual humans to speak to?

It will never catch on!

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Kevin Dean said:

On 31/08/2022 at 12:53, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

It might be that whatever you are intending to ship @TheGreek  may not be worth considering this, but I’ve been using @walshy’s Man with a Van.

£60 door to door. None of this insuring nonsense to worry about and you won’t need a hard case.

Fully insured door to door service for £60 (UK mainland only). PM me for the number.

On 01/09/2022 at 17:05, fretmeister said:

Actual humans to speak to?

It will never catch on!

On 01/09/2022 at 16:45, jezzaboy said:

they appear to use the same couriers as Parcel2Go. I assume they’ve set up a ‘deal’ for compensation.

Word of warning from experience…..using the online company Parcel2Go that gives quotes for UPS DHL etc presented problems with a loss in transit of my goods. Parcel2Go finally explained after a week that I should be getting in touch directly with the courier I’d chosen and that they had nothing to do with it! I finally found my item stuck in a warehouse just a few miles from its original postal area.

Our student son uses this site to send cases door-to-door between home and Durham at a reasonable price: https://www.sendmybag.com/

They specifically mention guitars, and give a decent description of what you can expect the package to go through.

They have insurance upgrades too: GBP: £125 included. Upgrade options: £250 for £4. £500 for £8. £1,000 for £16. £1,500 for £24.