Why become a member? ×

Burns 6 string oddity

Shaggy

I’d initially assumed this was a guitar incorrectly described as a bass, but does indeed have “bass” on the headstock logo:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155124714942?hash=item241e274dbe:g:AYgAAOSwwMdi~nJZ&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoE0wXRpaVNr%2FdcSLonp5t5rj9IcrQuduvhB9lUBMUGCQGkEvogWsTAsaz2FlUd%2BEzGlTNQ2dPHuAMQWY1ozv2RCtP4s0Z%2F3KtHhUqraAgKci%2F8dBUX16iKPpoxqhT28xjSiWmi%2FWuu95v3EZvNUQRg9K8djtgyVweDfDnAVuFU7XlVTbyLB5AdfX05Dsc3DuIkq74cWxf8X6BGjsfrbarDE%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR-TExJXaYA

Anyone know anything about these?

I've a couple of ‘60’s Fenton Weil pickups that would drop into this - I I had 3 I’d be quite tempted by it as a project......🤔

• Like 1

On 26/08/2022 at 21:11, Maude said:

I love the selector switch titles. 

Split Sound 

Jazz

Treble 

Wild Dog 

Oh yeah! 

I had another Burns bass, a short-scale 4-string, that had the Wild Dog switch setting. It had a scroll headstock though. <googles> Ah, mine was a Baldwin: https://andrewnelson.com/?p=138 which includes an explanation of "Wild Dog".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, prowla said:

I didn’t; though my hobby is collecting projects, I just plain have too many. 

I'm the same. 

When I first saw it I thought, ooh a nice little project. But a combination of you expressing an interest, my having too many unfinished projects, and that I've just bought a bass vi meant I saw sense. 

It would be cool though once done. 

3 hours ago, Maude said:

I'm the same. 

When I first saw it I thought, ooh a nice little project. But a combination of you expressing an interest, my having too many unfinished projects, and that I've just bought a bass vi meant I saw sense. 

It would be cool though once done. 

Haha - Just my thinking!

i bought a nice guitar a week ago, so I’m having to be “sensible”.

I’ve also forced myself to pass on a couple of bucket-list basses in the past couple of weeks. 
Despite that I did make an offer on a bass body this week, but there may be a mismatch between the seller’s perception of value and mine. 

Edited by prowla

Couldn't find any info regarding the scale length other than the Vintage & Rare website which states that the overall length is 102cm, which makes it shorter than my Eastwood Hooky Bass and given that the headstock on the Burns is 6 in line, suggests a scale length of under 30". It certainly looks that way.

Does anyone have any more definite info?