Why become a member? ×

Mid song catastrophe!

thisisswanbon

So I suffered my first ever real amp issue mid gig tonight...

Playing a cracking wedding, right in the middle of "Omen" by The Prodigy, there's suddenly no bass! I don't use FOH support as my amp set up has always more than coped, so there was suddenly NOTHING... 

My set up is a GK 1001RBII into a barefaced big twin II. I turn around and the blue light is shining away nicely. I do the obvious thing, I make sure my tuner hadn't turned itself on, then I make sure the cable hasn't been kicked out, then I make sure the output cable to my amp hasn't been kicked out. Still nothing. I check my cable at the amp, still nothing. I figure it must be my bass so at this point I'm panicking, so I mine the rest of thep tune. Song finishes and I rush to change bass, but still nothing! Then while I'm franticly scratching my head, our keys player starts the next song. Another song of mining and I'm no further forward. I shout to the singer to stall while I try a fresh cable, direct from bass to amp and it's still dead.

Next up it's straight to FOH, so I run over with my cable and plug in. The signal is too weak! If only I hadn't sold my two notes le bass a few weeks ago 🤦‍♂️. In the end, I crank my ampeg opto comp, and crank my hot tubes side of the hot wax while turning the drive down for what can only be discribed as the most flabby yet farty and downright offensive bass tone I've ever heard.

no idea what's gone on with the GK; but at 18 years old I think it's served me well.

Now do I look at a new amp, or sell my cab and give the modelling stuff another go 🤔

Re new amp or go for the modelling stuff, well if you can guarantee you’ll always be going through the PA from now on then it might be worth a try. 

That said you’ve got that great BF cab, so in your position I’d sort either a new amp or get that one fixed, then have a preamp/DI pedal in the chain connected to FOH at all gigs. Pedal doesn’t need to be switched on unless needed, so a Behringer BDI21 would be ideal, cheap, sound great. 

Bad luck, it is horrible when that happens.

Before you rush off and start spending it is worth spending an hour or two checking what actually went wrong. It could be something simple you'll spot if you work through logically and without all the pressure. I don't think you checked your speaker lead for example and I'm not clear if you tried just going straight from bass to amp. Speakons often have screw terminals that work loose over time so there are a lot of very simple things it could be. If it is indeed the amp then it could be repairable.

I can't say I stay rational and organised in these situations even though I know a cool head can fix most things :) 

You'll want to take a backup at least until you are confident about your amp. I have a Warwick Gnome which sits in my bass case and I also carry a DI box to gigs. Sansamp, Zoom B1four, there are loads of options.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

no idea what's gone on with the GK; but at 18 years old I think it's served me well.

Now do I look at a new amp, or sell my cab and give the modelling stuff another go 🤔

First find out which bit failed. Until you know that you shouldn't plan on buying anything.

Next replace or repair what failed. Also buy a backup amp.

• Like 2

Two important points I think here. 

Firstly, if you'd line to borrow a hx stomp and try modelling for a gig or two you're welcome to, as you know I'm only down the road. I know you said it hadn't worked for you in the past but it's always there. 

Secondly, if you do decide to sell that cab then hit me up. 😁

I have my GK Legend sitting on top of my ABM600 head ready to swop over if any issues. 

The GK is light so it sits on a rubber mat on the ABM600 so it doesn’t move. 

Feel so much happier having backup 

I use wireless but always put a guitar lead by my rig just in case 

Thanks for all of the info!  I've tried the speakon, and FX loop fix but alas it made no difference... I've had it repaired a couple of times in the past for dry joints and scratchy pots, so I've decided it's time to upgrade and have a Mark Bass Little Mark vintage 1000 coming.  I've tried to warm the GK up for years, so seems a good time to change tack.

16 hours ago, Jack said:

Two important points I think here. 

Firstly, if you'd line to borrow a hx stomp and try modelling for a gig or two you're welcome to, as you know I'm only down the road. I know you said it hadn't worked for you in the past but it's always there. 

Secondly, if you do decide to sell that cab then hit me up. 😁

Much appreciated Jack, thanks for the offer... I've decided to stick with my analogue set up and amp for the now.  I'll drop you a message about your stomp though!

I'd love to sell you my cab mate, unfortunately I haven't got the money for the dream cab to replace it 😆

13 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

Thanks for all of the info!  I've tried the speakon, and FX loop fix but alas it made no difference... I've had it repaired a couple of times in the past for dry joints and scratchy pots, so I've decided it's time to upgrade and have a Mark Bass Little Mark vintage 1000 coming.  I've tried to warm the GK up for years, so seems a good time to change tack.

I’m going to suggest that maybe it was never repaired correctly the first time… in general these are pretty reliable amps until under-qualified techs start struggling with them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, agedhorse said:

I’m going to suggest that maybe it was never repaired correctly the first time… in general these are pretty reliable amps until under-qualified techs start struggling with them. 

Good advice, it may also be something trivial like a broken wire or an internal connector come loose.  A bit like replacing a car because the fuel line is blocked. Find out what is wrong first, then decide.

• Like 3