Why become a member? ×

Connecting 2 cabs to 1 speakon output

alexa3020

11 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Friends don't let friends use cheap knockoff speakons. The real ones aren't expensive and positively cheaper than buggering up your amp. 

Couldn't find a Neutrik version and wasn't sure how confident the OP was in wiring one up using the real McCoy. 

On the market you can find small boxes with three or four SpeakOn sockets to allow chaining of your cabinets. For someone who is handy with tools these are easy to make yourself.

Make certain sure when you chain speaker cabinets that you ensure that the final impedance of the load thus produced is within the abilities of your amplifier.

Edit: Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/271617232407?epid=2255992147&hash=item3f3da60e17:g:sXQAAOSwT5tWMNK5

One final point is that when and if you build something using SpeaskOns always use the NL4 connectors. These are pretty much the standard on both amplifiers and speaker cabinets. 

Edited by BassmanPaul

21 hours ago, alexa3020 said:

Hi guys, 

quick question, I have a head with one speakon output on it. If I want to connect 2 cabs to it I assume I’ll need a speakon y splitter cable. Is that correct?

N.B I have no link options on the cabs

cheers,

Alex

I can knock you up one using Neutrik SpeaKons if you want. I will DM you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paul_5 said:

Dumb question - I just use one cab in my rig, so not sure about this - on a 4 pole Neutrik socket/jack could you not use +1 and -1 for one cab and +2 and -2 for the other?

Dunno what that would do if your amp has a bridged output.

In most cases there wouldn't be anything on the 2 set on the amp end. Your only utility would be using less sockets and plugs for a custom breakout box and lead  that was fed from a mono speakon.

2 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Dumb question - I just use one cab in my rig, so not sure about this - on a 4 pole Neutrik socket/jack could you not use +1 and -1 for one cab and +2 and -2 for the other?

This is SOMETIMES done on pro audio amps specifically for bi-amp applications, it's important to recognize when this is done (it's always specified on the back panel legend around the jack)

It's not a good idea for general bass guitar applications, a few manufacturers do stupid (non-conforming) things with pin 2+/-, and there are also (just) a couple of manufacturers that use NL2 jacks which will not accept an NL4 plug.

The NL2 or NL4 splitter cable is the best solution for this with no downside (other than if you forget your cable)

• Like 1