Why become a member? ×

Made a new account because I forgot my old one :)

Hemibass

Hi

I used to use this forum for all my bass purchases and always found it to be a great place to find gear. Thought I would make a new account (can't remember my old details) so I could continue hunting for more stuff to add to my setup.

I'm basically just a massive Rush nerd who wants to play bass like Geddy Lee and spend most of my time playing his basslines :)

I have a Youtube channel where I do Rush bass covers so anyone interested can check it out (Hemibass)

I bought my Ric and my Steinberger from members of this forum (about a decade ago), so if you guys are still around I can assure you your old basses have been well loved since selling them to me!

I needed to do an introduction post in order to post on the marketplace, so now that this is done, time to go throw some money away :D

Nice to meet you all

Hemi

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Hemibass said:

I needed to do an introduction post in order to post on the marketplace, so now that this is done, time to go throw some money away :D

Possibly the most honest introduction ever!

You don't by chance want to buy a 2006 Jaguar X150 that has developed a habit of overheating in traffic?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll have a look and see if I can find any old posts! This was probably 6+ years ago that I last logged in so don't remember much about it. I bought lots of things on here though so will go and have a look to see if I can find any of the old threads I messaged on. Thanks for the help all

And yeah, I might have a slight GAS problem xD But I wouldn't change it even if I could!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Richard R said:

Possibly the most honest introduction ever!

You don't by chance want to buy a 2006 Jaguar X150 that has developed a habit of overheating in traffic?

Haha I tend to deal in the 'less than £1k bracket' for gear, so maybe if you want to sell me your Jaguar for a couple of hundred quid we could talk business :)

• 10 months later...
15 hours ago, Hemibass said:

Oh man. That is amazing!!!! I am so jealous right now. How was the gig?

One of my 'top priority time machine destinations' for sure

I was 16 years old and had just started listening to Rush based on a mate's recommendation. I enjoyed all the earlier albums but didn't have massive expectations for the gig. Went with a group of friends and were in the circle about mid stage. It was the first time I'd seen such amazing lighting effects (maybe lasers?) and was totally knocked backwards by the musicianship of NP, AL and Geddy. G was using his black Rick and Moog Taurus pedals which also impressed me a lot. Hemispheres is still my favourite album due to the way it transports me back to that night, plus I still noodle Trees now and again. The support was another Canadian band called Max Webster who were pretty good too - bought their 12" single Paradise Skies later that week. I saw a few classic bands back when teenagers could afford to attend gigs and bands made money from record sales not extortionate ticket prices. (Ticket on the far right was The Scorpions just after MS had joined UFO).

20230305_114658.thumb.jpg.2e75b6512ff1801d2c5727548eff6008.jpg

20230306_134804.thumb.jpg.f4d2a3fe8193829a2e8282f5dce79824.jpg

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 2

That's an incredible thing to have been able to see. You are very lucky to have those memories :)

Hemispheres is a top tier Rush album for me too. One of the very best albums of prog Rock from the 70s. I even have the album cover tattooed on my back :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hemibass said:

That's an incredible thing to have been able to see. You are very lucky to have those memories :)

Hemispheres is a top tier Rush album for me too. One of the very best albums of prog Rock from the 70s. I even have the album cover tattooed on my back :D

When I look back at those tickets I now realise how lucky I was and how much I was inspired by Geddy, Phil Lynott, Michael Anthony, Jimmy Bain, Steve Harris, John McCoy and Neil Murray to persevere with the most enduring passion of my life.

I've never been inclined to have tattoos, but if I ever did, something paying testament to those formative experiences would be top of the list and none better than Rush' Hemispheres. Awsome.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

When I look back at those tickets I now realise how lucky I was and how much I was inspired by Geddy, Phil Lynott, Michael Anthony, Jimmy Bain, Steve Harris, John McCoy and Neil Murray to persevere with the most enduring passion of my life.

I've never been inclined to have tattoos, but if I ever did, something paying testament to those formative experiences would be top of the list and none better than Rush' Hemispheres. Awsome.

That is a bloody good lineup of bass players haha.

I was lucky enough to see Geddy multiple times, Les Claypool and Mark King three or four times each and saw Chris Squire play once. Those are the guys I have been most inspired by over the years. There really is nothing like being in the same room as them watching them do their thing. Masters at work. I just hope I get to see Geddy play live again at some point!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hemibass said:

That is a bloody good lineup of bass players haha.

I was lucky enough to see Geddy multiple times, Les Claypool and Mark King three or four times each and saw Chris Squire play once. Those are the guys I have been most inspired by over the years. There really is nothing like being in the same room as them watching them do their thing. Masters at work. I just hope I get to see Geddy play live again at some point!

Once Level 42 and Brit Funk came along a whole new side to bass playing opened up to me. Mark King was a huge influence and I saw L42 a couple of times in the early 80s and a couple of times more recently. First time being at the Ace in 83 which was brilliant; Jaydee and Trace Elliot was a perfect match. I've got a Jaydee on order right now to scratch that itch from my early fandom.

Although I was a fan of Yes I never saw them in their heyday but managed to catch Chris a year or so before he passed; he was still amazing.

20230608_155118.thumb.jpg.6bbccd571635248bf7e0f8722581ea83.jpg

Edited by Sparky Mark

Tickets £2.50!

I've just paid £98 to see Clapton from the cheap seats at Resorts World. Last time I saw him was nearly 40 years ago, when the venue was called the NEC Arena and I think the tickets were about £15. He blew the roof off then, but I'm expecting a more sedate gig this time.

• Like 1