Why become a member? ×

100W Stoneham valve amp - small footprint, lighter weight

Merton

Would you be interested in a small-run, small footprint 100W valve amp from Stoneham?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a small-run, small footprint 100W valve amp from Stoneham?

• Yes
    • No

Funnily enough, I was in comms with Martin on this very topic earlier this week as I am interested in purchasing one of these and also local to Martin (he’s done quite a few repairs for me over the years, and I was an early tester of YI200). He tells me that “I’ve got the design sorted just working on production of the chassis. Had a breakthrough this month and will be able to progress with several new projects now. Will give you a shout asap”. So it sounds like things are moving forward.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Curious to hear how this sounds @ped. Hopefully a full review.

Dave

I plan on giving it a proper go on Monday at the studio. I have my Blackstar U500/250ACT (2x10 and 1x15) and an Ampeg PF50T with 2x10 to compare it with. That and fond memories of tube amps I’ve had in the past (Trace V4, SVT, Mesa 400+)

I was really happy with the Blackstar at our last rehearsal so John very kindly let me borrow this for a comparison as maybe I’ve forgotten what it’s like having those tube watts. It sounded massive when I gave it a quick whirl at his house and it’s so portable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ped said:

I plan on giving it a proper go on Monday at the studio. I have my Blackstar U500/250ACT (2x10 and 1x15) and an Ampeg PF50T with 2x10 to compare it with. That and fond memories of tube amps I’ve had in the past (Trace V4, SVT, Mesa 400+)

I was really happy with the Blackstar at our last rehearsal so John very kindly let me borrow this for a comparison as maybe I’ve forgotten what it’s like having those tube watts. It sounded massive when I gave it a quick whirl at his house and it’s so portable. 

I recently went back to my Handbox WB100 from the SVT7 and loved it with my Godin PJ. 

Finally getting my Mesa TT800 i'm still working on it to see how it fairs against an all valve WB100.

Dave

• Like 2

On 13/08/2024 at 21:28, ped said:

I’ve just caught up with the thread because I’m borrowing @johnbiffa’s YI200 (with matching neo 4x10). Good to see you on here @Stoneham  I’m looking forward to testing the amp.

Cool that it fits under my desk, too!

IMG_9512.jpeg

Great looking rig @ped!

Can't believe you have a Lovetone Meatball pedal in your set up - I had one of those back in the 90s when they first came out.. Absolutely brilliant bits of kit.... 

On 19/08/2024 at 16:50, silverfoxnik said:

Great looking rig @ped!

Can't believe you have a Lovetone Meatball pedal in your set up - I had one of those back in the 90s when they first came out.. Absolutely brilliant bits of kit.... 

Hi mate, yes indeed, I'm about 30 years behind the curve as usual!! What did you replace it with?

19 hours ago, ped said:

Hi mate, yes indeed, I'm about 30 years behind the curve as usual!! What did you replace it with?

Me too! 😁

Mine was stolen unfortunately, and it was during a time when I'd stopped playing for about 10 years, so I never got around to replacing it. 

I still remember it as being an absolutely brilliant pedal though. 

Edited by silverfoxnik

14 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

Me too! 😁

Mine was stolen unfortunately, and it was during a time when I'd stopped playing for about 10 years, so I never got around to replacing it. 

I still remember it as being an absolutely brilliant pedal though. 

Ah bugger, you didn't happen to write down the serial number? Maybe we can track it down!

4 minutes ago, ped said:

Ah bugger, you didn't happen to write down the serial number? Maybe we can track it down!

No, I didn't sadly.. 

It was in 1997, so a long time ago. 

Stolen from me, would you believe, by a bass player in a then, reasonably well known UK indie band! 

I also clocked the Meatball. I bought one when they first came out. Once, and only once, I twiddled the knobs to such a position where it added "something" behind my main note. Some sort of filter event. It was just a fabulous sound. I knew I could get the same sound again because I was clearly a boss with programming. Yeah. I never found it again. I got so fed up that I flogged it on ebay but they had stopped making them by then. Some guy from the US paid me 3 times more than the new price. I wish I could recreate it. 

10 hours ago, Owen said:

I also clocked the Meatball. I bought one when they first came out. Once, and only once, I twiddled the knobs to such a position where it added "something" behind my main note. Some sort of filter event. It was just a fabulous sound. I knew I could get the same sound again because I was clearly a boss with programming. Yeah. I never found it again. I got so fed up that I flogged it on ebay but they had stopped making them by then. Some guy from the US paid me 3 times more than the new price. I wish I could recreate it. 

We’re way off topic here but it has been rumoured that ThorpyFX, in collaboration with Dan Coggins, are looking to do this. They have already brought out the fantastic Pulse Doppler phaser based on the Lovetone Doppelgänger.