Why become a member? ×

Neck Shims on old basses

Piers_Williamson

1 hour ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

I wouldn't think much of it, other than that it's probably helpfull to get a low action with correct break angle over the bridge saddles.

Many old Fenders even came with shims from the factory. 

This.
Not an issue. I’d be looking more at how flush the truss screw was. Is it the original screw etc. A shim is just adjustment. As above, shims also came from factory, albeit not the one in the pic, but similar. 

• Like 1

Even Wals are often shimmed.  The only difference is that they are full pocket shims and glued onto the neck so they look like they've been carved from solid.  As said above, the critical thing is getting the correct neck angle and a fraction of a degree can make all the difference. 

That said, it is the principle of shims that I have no issue with - but good contact between the neck and the pocket is critical and so what the shim is made of, the area it covers, the accuracy of the shim angle are things that do matter a lot...and that pic at the top isn't a good shim ;)

• Like 2

I play with a really low action and occasionally I’ve had to add a shim , many say that if it was built properly you wouldn’t have to do it 🙄, but depending on your set up  preference I don’t see anything wrong, stewmac sell them 

0BB529D2-DA80-4744-A2EA-8B263B525CB2.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

That said, it is the principle of shims that I have no issue with - but good contact between the neck and the pocket is critical and so what the shim is made of, the area it covers, the accuracy of the shim angle are things that do matter a lot...and that pic at the top isn't a good shim ;)

It’s probably sounded great for nearly 60 years… Is shim GAS going to be the next basschat craze?

• Haha 1

Nothing wrong with a shim, I too like a low action and have put plenty in but I try and make sure they fit across the pocket and taper toward the open end of the pocket.

I’ve used veneer and card (mulched wood) and some fine emery cloth to achieve this.

There is an argument that shims can expedite a ski jump at the end of the neck but there are also those that argue against if done properly.

All major (and a few minor) manufacturers have used shims from the factory.

I’m not too keen on the shim you have there but I’ve seen it done a lot as a quick fix, I would be replacing it with a decent shim and not worry about it

As for the refret, the neck (and bass?) is 59 years old, if it’s been played and loved since day one it probably needed it. 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I play with a really low action and occasionally I’ve had to add a shim , many say that if it was built properly you wouldn’t have to do it 🙄, but depending on your set up  preference I don’t see anything wrong, stewmac sell them 

0BB529D2-DA80-4744-A2EA-8B263B525CB2.jpeg

This is what i bought for my recent P bass sorting out, excellent shims if a little on the pricey side for what is essentially a wafer of wood 

• Like 1