Why become a member? ×

Electric guitar through a bass halfstack?

fekalizatorius

Hey guys,
I've been thinking a lot about starting to play an electric guitar recently - really hard to write melodic death metal when you only have a bass in your hand. I recently came about an intresting offer -> [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_fv430bk.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_fv430bk.htm[/url] . Price is good enough for me (When I'll have cash, I'll get EMG 81+85's in there), have enough cash now, and know where to get a good priced second hand pedal. But here comes the tricky part - no $$ for an amp. I really love the Peavy VYPYR 75watt and Line6 Spider III 75 watt combos w/ 1x12, but since I'm saving up for a car, I can only buy myself a guitar, or indulge in a bass upgrading orgy (Respray, EMG's). I have a Ashdown MAG300 + 4x10" that's been serving me well for months and I'm thinking of using it for the guitar (With the drive pedal in the FX loop). My question is not about tone or something, but if I won't drasticly affect the amp in a bad way. I thought of using it, because I like to play a lot of stuff with drive effects and it sounds REALLY good doing it.
So guys, please help me make up my mind :)
Cheers,
Fek.

[quote name='fekalizatorius' post='463350' date='Apr 15 2009, 08:04 PM']Hey guys,
I've been thinking a lot about starting to play an electric guitar recently - really hard to write melodic death metal when you only have a bass in your hand. I recently came about an intresting offer -> [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_fv430bk.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_fv430bk.htm[/url] . Price is good enough for me (When I'll have cash, I'll get EMG 81+85's in there), have enough cash now, and know where to get a good priced second hand pedal. But here comes the tricky part - no $$ for an amp. I really love the Peavy VYPYR 75watt and Line6 Spider III 75 watt combos w/ 1x12, but since I'm saving up for a car, I can only buy myself a guitar, or indulge in a bass upgrading orgy (Respray, EMG's). I have a Ashdown MAG300 + 4x10" that's been serving me well for months and I'm thinking of using it for the guitar (With the drive pedal in the FX loop). My question is not about tone or something, but if I won't drasticly affect the amp in a bad way. I thought of using it, because I like to play a lot of stuff with drive effects and it sounds REALLY good doing it.
So guys, please help me make up my mind :)
Cheers,
Fek.[/quote]
stay away from line 6 spider amps they are the bane of all sound guys ever ;<

Many moons ago, my (then) guitarist mate plugged his pointy Jackson into my Trace (AH300SMX+2103H+1048H) and played some hefty drop-tuned palm-muted power chords.
All the other guitarists came into the rehearsal room to see what was delivering such high SPLs and such a wicked tone.
That was with the EQ flat, and even with the bass oriented pre-amp/cab voicing to contend with!

Edit - On the subject of voicing, a "bass" drive pedal might not suit a guitar that well (EQ set points might not be that appropriate). Plus, you might want to try the pedal "in front" of the amp's input rather than through the FX loop. It might sound different/better.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

It's fine, bass amps can totally handle anything a guitar can throw at them. Not amazing sound but it'll do if you get a distortion pedal. The HB guitars are pretty good too. One word of advice though, don't bother with a line 6 as they're really not very good. It would also defeat the point of EMG pickups.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,
I tried doing the guitar thru the MAG amp yesterday. I used my buddies MAG 2x10" Combo (Eq flat, compresor at 9 o'clock, sub-harmonics at half way), Guyatone MM-X METAL MONSTER tube drive and a Jackson Performer series V (Old one, ~10 years old, also has Seymour Duncan pickups) tuned to A-E-A-D-F#-B and B-E-A-D-F#-B. The tone was WICKED. Better than any solid-state combo I've ever heard. The tone has so much low end and crunch. Just love it. I played some Nile(Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten, Black Seeds Of Vengeance to be percise) and got a real good tone. I'm definetley going to use my MAG for that :)
Cheers,
Fek.