Why become a member? ×

Jack White - Fear of the Dawn

adamg67

A few of my long standing favourite artists have put out albums that I really like in the last few years (The Black Keys "Let it Rock" is one I remember), but Jack White has released probably my fave Album from any of his bands this year with "Fear of the Dawn". I love it in the same way I did Icky Thump, it's sort of got all these hard edges but on really groovy songs. I know, but it makes sense to me. I've been looking around for new things and then someone I've been into for years has come up with what I think is a great album - love it. It's not often that happens, where someone's 10th or more (must be more, 12th ish studio album?) is among the best.

I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea, and obviously if you don't like it that's fine you're crazy, it's amazing! 😜

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Jack White is at least in the zone of my cup of tea. Got all the White Stripes stuff but not followed him closely since, just what I hear on 6 music.

The stuff posted here is pretty good IMO.

He's been pretty busy since the White Stripes, and a lot of it's been good.

The Dead Weather are worth a listen, that's Jack White on drums and some vocals, Alison Mosshart from The Kills and Dean Fertita from QOTSA on guitar, plus Jack Lawrence from The Raconteurs on bass. I think because he's on drums it's the one that has the most unique not-obviously-jack-white sound. There are three really good albums to go at, for a quick idea what they're about maybe try Die by the DropMile Markers or Cuts Like a Buffalo (one off each album).

The Raconteurs are maybe not as edgy as some of his other stuff but are still really good, and they do definitely have a Jack White feel. Standout tracks for me would be things like Salute Your Solution and Steady, As She Goes and then there's the rockier last album with things like Bored and Razed. There's a decent mix of stuff in there, I really like Carolina Drama for the storytelling lyrics.

And then there's Jack White, the solo stuff, which has some really good stuff in there like Sixteen Salteens and That Black Bat Licorice, and then the new album, and another on the way soon (July I think).

I've got tickets to see him at the end of June, I saw him in Leeds a few years ago and it was an amazing gig.

Edited by adamg67
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Thanks for posting. Hadn’t heard these. Really like the first track.

It reminds me of this… (which is a good thing!)

Tropical Hotdog Night is an absolute classic.

I was thinking Beefheart during  that Jack White song too, but not any specific song.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Tropical Hotdog Night is an absolute classic.

I was thinking Beefheart during  that Jack White song too, but not any specific song.

Great track, isn’t it!? I’ve become a bit of a fan in recent years - other than his vocal on Willie the Pimp I’d not really had much exposure to him previously. 

23 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Thanks for posting. Hadn’t heard these. Really like the first track.

It reminds me of this… (which is a good thing!)

I know what you mean, some of the other tracks on the album have the same thing going as well, probably more so.