Why become a member? ×

Chorus & Octaver

JPJ

Whats the consensus these days for the best chorus and octave pedals? Are the Boss CEB & OC still the market leaders or has something else usurped them? Also any good options in the small form factor? 

The pedal I use & I've had plenty of people ask.... "Just what make of chorus pedal are you using to get that sound..????" 

The answer is 

T. C. Electronic John Pettrucci Dreamscape.... It has 2 types of Chorus' Vibrato' & Flanging plus the Tone print Feature... it also can emulate a Phaser very well indeed... Its an extremely versatile' subtle' pedal.... the more I've worked with it the more I appreciate its adaptability' better than Pedals three times the price. 

As for an Octaver... I had for twenty odd years the first generation & much coverted..Bronze' OC2 I enjoyed it'  with all its warbleness & glitches... But I sold it & now I use a First Generation COG T16... which to my ears sounds just like the old OC2 but with extra functionality smaller footprint & brilliant tracking... the Boss OC 5...is definitely worth checking out.... Happy hunting.. Kev. 😉

Edited by paulo m

I'm a fan of analogue octave pedals, my fav at the moment is the Aguilar Octamizer. Octave filter control (smooth to edgy), clean and octave mix, plus a tilt eq. Everything you need in a octaver, does subtle to full on but with a very organic sound.

MXR's vintage bass octave is based on an original Boss OC2 pedal from Janek Gwizdala's collection which he lent them. He does a comparison between the two in one of his YouTube pedal episodes. The MXR comes out quite well and a cheaper and easier option than trying to track down an original. 

Do you want to borrow my Boss units and see if they suit?  My old brown chorus died and I got the new (blue) chorus but the Octave is original.  I may even have the chorus back up and running soon as I established it is the switch which is an easy replaceable part.