Why become a member? ×

Replacement for my mesa boogie diesel 1x18 and 2x10? Ampeg??

Phil C

Hi guys.  I have a mesa stack with bass 400+ head, and the band hates it, especially on tour!  When the 400+ was in it's diesel ply box, the weight was ridiculous (over 42kg).  Anyway, that is now sorted with an ABS 4 unit rack case - but I could really do with a couple of cabs that are lighter (I think the mesa cabs are 43kg for the 18 and 55kg for the 2x10.  I also think the 2x10 is 300w, and the 1x18 400w.).

Anyway - I have been looking at Ampeg, as the price range seems reasonable, and I have used Ampeg before when overseas (as hire gear) and have been pleased with the sound.

So, I was looking at the Pro-Neo gear - which is lightweight but rather expensive. I have nabbed a 2x10 pro neo off ebay, and could put that with either a 4x10 Pro Neo or 1x15.  There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in the spec.  OR I could sell the 2x10, and get a Portaflex set up i.e a 1x15 and 4x10.  They are a little heavier and half the price! 

Can anyone give me a steer as to the differences in sound - and which would be a good match for the Mesa 400+?  Just to add, I have a mark bass 800w amp and 800w 2x12 speaker that I use for function gigs.  I don't like the sound. Much too "hi-fi".

The band is pretty loud on stage - check out some of the live videos on deeperpurple.band

Cheers

If anyone was selling a Bergantino NV4x12 then I would consider that. I have wanted one for ages to pair with my Trace Eliiot V6 but I always have no cash to hand when one becomes available 

If you have cash to burn then a Mesa Subway 4x10 would a great match.

Or keep the pro neo 2x10 and buy another one.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thodrik said:

If anyone was selling a Bergantino NV4x12 then I would consider that. I have wanted one for ages to pair with my Trace Eliiot V6 but I always have no cash to hand when one becomes available 

If you have cash to burn then a Mesa Subway 4x10 would a great match.

Or keep the pro neo 2x10 and buy another one.

Mesa Subways are super expensive, and hardly anyone seems to have anything in stock. I found a mesa subway 2x15 in Germany for sale, but with VAT it ended up at around £1500.  I did look at the NV4x12 - pretty sure there is one for sale on here in Norfolk for a good price - however it is 49kg, so not really worth the change for me.  Cheers

Here is the link by the way - 

Edited by Phil C
update
  • Like 1

As the 400+ does 2ohms have you considered the Ampeg SVT212? At 4ohms and 30kg a pair of those would sound amazing, apparently they’re the nearest other Ampeg cab in sound to the famed fridge.

You then have the flexibility of using just one if the situation warrants it, without having to re-eq.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

Just now, Lozz196 said:

As the 400+ does 2ohms have you considered the Ampeg SVT212? At 4ohms and 30kg a pair of those would sound amazing, apparently they’re the nearest other Ampeg cab in sound to the famed fridge.

Good call!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

You then have the flexibility of using just one if the situation warrants it, without having to re-eq.

Oh Ok - there is an option I hadn't considered before.  Thanks for that - will take a look!

11 hours ago, thodrik said:

The Ashdown RM gear is also pretty cheap and lightweight and supposedly pretty damn good. 

11 hours ago, Phil C said:

Will have a look at that too - many thanks.

11 hours ago, Phil C said:

Blimey - they are cheap!! 4x10 for under £500.  I'll have a hunt around for some reviews.  Cheers

I had one of these, the 4ohm version. Was a nice cab, my only criticism would be that for touring I thought as it had a cloth front rather than metal grill that might get damaged easily. It was also not as deep as the ABM cabs so I`d be dubious about stacking two together, but as a standalone cab it was good.

• Thanks 1

I had a 400+ and Mesa 115EV and 210EV cabs. That rig sounded great but caused all my back problems!

I had heat dissipation issues with my 4u rack. I had to drill holes in the handle plate to stop the amp overheating.  

I'd start with replacing both cabs with a Barefaced 610 or a BT3. Think about the amp later.

Edited by chris_b
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

Ampeg Svt212av sorted 

Amazing cab and even one cab works very well ( they are 4ohms ) 

Ive had the PF115LF series and they are not a patch on the SVT212AV 

Highly recommended and not too heavy to move around 

Your experience with the PF15LF is worth knowing - many thanks!

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I had heat dissipation issues with my 4u rack. I had to drill holes in the handle plate to stop the amp overheating.  

I did notice the rack getting a bit warm, and put the fan on high.  I used it for four hours with no issues so hopefully all is well.  Thanks for your input!

18 hours ago, Phil C said:

Mesa Subways are super expensive, and hardly anyone seems to have anything in stock. I found a mesa subway 2x15 in Germany for sale, but with VAT it ended up at around £1500.  I did look at the NV4x12 - pretty sure there is one for sale on here in Norfolk for a good price - however it is 49kg, so not really worth the change for me.  Cheers

Here is the link by the way - 

Unfortunately (for gear collecting purposes) baby number two is incoming shortly so I don't have the spare funds. Proof again that they only become available when I don't have the funds. That is a steal at that price.

Edited by thodrik

2 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Unfortunately baby number is incoming shortly so I don't have the spare funds. Proof again that they only become available when I don't have the funds. That is a steal at that price.

Congratulations!!

• 1 month later...

Update! - After tonnes of thought, and thank you everyone for their input, I stuck with Mesa Boogie, which was expensive - but I am very happy.  The diesel cabs were 2nd hand when I bought them 35 years ago, so it's about time I spent some money!!  A subway 4x10 (25kg) and powerhouse 1x15 (32kg).  Much lighter than my old rig, but sounds as powerful and punchy - and the quality of the cabs is amazing!! 

303166267_20220411_115051(2).thumb.jpg.2c63e61e3d3e6bdc465ff743a7ad2950.jpg

• Like 2

Excellent choice. I went from Diesel cabs to Subway and am enjoying the same sound without the weight (a Road Ready 2x18 is 107kg).

When things open up again fully, I strongly recommend looking at a TT-800. I went from Bass 400 to 400+, then M-Pulse to TT-800 with the same sound and a fraction of the weight. The TT-800 rack ears weight more than the amp!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Excellent choice. I went from Diesel cabs to Subway and am enjoying the same sound without the weight (a Road Ready 2x18 is 107kg).

When things open up again fully, I strongly recommend looking at a TT-800. I went from Bass 400 to 400+, then M-Pulse to TT-800 with the same sound and a fraction of the weight. The TT-800 rack ears weight more than the amp!

Hey Steve.  I've looked at the Subway amps, and I don't need the two separate channels of the TT-800.  Do you reckon the simpler D800 will be as good - or is there something particularly special about the TT-800?  Any feedback appreciated.  Cheers

2 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Not sure where you are but you're welcome to try the amp if it's do'able. 

That's very kind Steve - I'm in Essex, near the M11 but no rush.  Start a UK tour next week with Deeper Purple - all over the place, so will take the 400+, plus I have a little Mark Bass head that will tuck somewhere as a back up - I'm not keen on it, but it will do for emergencies!  The one time in the past I had to use it, I hid it and still had the Bass 400 on top..... Glad to hear what you say about the TT800, so will wait until I see one on offer or until 2023 or whenever they become available again.  There is a D800 available in Germany (same shop I got the speakers from) but I'd rather wait and get the best!!  Thanks for the info.  Cheers

• Like 1