Why become a member? ×

1983 Wal fretless SOLD

Beedster

Kind of a feeler at present but, despite the fact it's a thing of rare beauty and tone, I'm not using the Wal anything like as much as my fretless Precision or fretless Jazz and I'm kinda interested in trying out something in the precision style, perhaps a trip to non-Fenderland like a Celinder or even a Lakland. I;d also be interested in a Fender Custom Shop Precision. Paid £1800 a few months back so a trade/PX in that range would suit. Feel a bit daft really as I've wanted a Wal since 1980 and this year was the first time I realised I had enough cash to get one! However, not sure it's really my sound.

Can't guarantee I won't change my mind but if you have the right precision I probbaly won't :)

[attachment=23533:Wal1.jpg][attachment=23534:Wal2.jpg][attachment=23535:Wal3.jpg]

Not exactly sure on woods etc but I'm sure you guys will help me out!

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='458614' date='Apr 9 2009, 05:40 PM']I've wanted a Wal since 1980 and this year was the first time I realised I had enough cash to get one! However, not sure it's really my sound.[/quote]

Exactly how I was with my Gretsch, stunning, just not me.

Sumptuous Wal mate, wish I could take it off your hands, good luck.

Beautiful instrument but I understand your feeling. I own a couple of Wal basses and not everyone likes them. There are the prominent midtones which aren't to everyone's likings. Plenty of bassplayers try them out but realise that it's not their cup of tea. I like them a lot but I can't use them for every concert I play. There's this "honk" in the sound which you can't get rid off (even while changing the frequencies). Luckily I like that sound but Fender-players are often a bit sceptic about the Wal-feel and sound since it's a bit further away from the traditional things they are used to.
Good luck with sale or trade !

[quote name='Rayman' post='458623' date='Apr 9 2009, 05:46 PM']Exactly how I was with my Gretsch, stunning, just not me.

Sumptuous Wal mate, wish I could take it off your hands, good luck.[/quote]

Cheers Rayman, life eh!

[quote name='wombatboter' post='458630' date='Apr 9 2009, 05:53 PM']Beautiful instrument but I understand your feeling. I own a couple of Wal basses and not everyone likes them. There are the prominent midtones which aren't to everyone's likings. Plenty of bassplayers try them out but realise that it's not their cup of tea. I like them a lot but I can't use them for every concert I play. There's this "honk" in the sound which you can't get rid off (even while changing the frequencies). Luckily I like that sound but Fender-players are often a bit sceptic about the Wal-feel and sound since it's a bit further away from the traditional things they are used to.
Good luck with sale or trade ![/quote]

Cheers wombatboter (hell of a name BTW), if my Fenders were made half as well and played half as well, I'd be twice as happy with them. I think it's the mid prominence that get's me to be honest, I guess there isn't enough bottom end thump for me and the music I play. I don't solo or ponce about, I play simple traditional (fretted) lines on a fretless, I just prefer the challenge and tone that way. Problem is, I keep going back to my Precision, which I guess, as an instrument, I just understand a bit better.

[quote]Don't do it!!! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Only time will tell :)

[quote name='carlbass' post='458871' date='Apr 9 2009, 10:10 PM']Hi , does it have a wal case :)[/quote]
Yes, original Wal case included
V. drunk after night watching various BCers bands. I'll reply to all PMs in the morning.
Thanks
Chris

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='459160' date='Apr 10 2009, 11:34 AM']That's a very good price for a Wal, even in this climate! Good luck with it Chris :)[/quote]

Cheers Nik, feel a bit disloyal to the Wal fraternity by moving this on so quick I have to say, but I guess I tried and it didn't work out. I always come back to one of Leo's basses in the end! Steve sold it to me for a great price so that's what I expecting trade wise. They seem to be selling on ebay for a lot more :rolleyes:

[quote name='Rayman' post='459423' date='Apr 10 2009, 04:51 PM']Feeling hungry yet?[/quote]

LOL, several offers at £2000 but I'm really looking to trade for something sexy as opposed to a sale

Edited by Beedster

Thanks for PMs folks. To clarify, I need something with 4 strings, a PPUP (happy with a PJ but not a JJ), ideally a rosewood neck (maple at a push), and high build quality. I'm looking to retain a high end bass through this trade so I'm not really looking for - for example - an American Series Fender P with cash, but something special of a similar value to the Wal.

I'd guess in order of preference I'm thinking:

Vintage (really vintage) Fender
Fender Custom Shop (Pino or Jamerson model would be nice. Not the 40th Anni)
Celinder
Sadowsky
Lakland DD

or anything similar. I'm not looking for Musicman, Status etc.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

Anyone? Several interesting trade offers but as yet no high end Precisions :)
Think I'm going to take a cash offer but would be keen to hear from anyone who's got one of the first three basses listed above before I do so....
Chris

Hi Chris,
just wanted to tell you that you've got some very nice stained English olive faces on that WAL. It's almost like the wood on my MK II 5 which I had had refinished in crimson red.
These Wals really have addictive potential - I can tell :)
Best of luck with the sale!
Cheers
Oliver

[quote name='spiritchaser' post='460450' date='Apr 12 2009, 11:19 AM']Hi Chris,
just wanted to tell you that you've got some very nice stained English olive faces on that WAL. It's almost like the wood on my MK II 5 which I had had refinished in crimson red.
These Wals really have addictive potential - I can tell :rolleyes:
Best of luck with the sale!
Cheers
Oliver[/quote]

Thanks Oliver, see what you mean about addictive :)