Why become a member? ×

Active / Pasive & batteies

Dave_1

Hi all. 
I have a Sire Marcus miller V9. Whilst practicing last night. I flicked the switch between passive and active. On passive all ok. On active. No sound. But a faint crackle. I thought it was a lead issue. Changed that. Still the same. 

ive bought some new batteries. And will change them over tonight Although the ones in it are only a month or so old. 
if it’s not the batteries. What else could it be ? 
thanks in advance 

Dave 

It's the jack plug that activates the switch to turn on the power to the pre-amp inside. This avoids the requirement of an on-off switch, but is often  forgotten about, and that's why the battery gets used up too quickly. Just unplug when not in use, that's all. It's the same for battery-powered floor pedals; they, too, have a short battery life if left plugged in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve just discovered that my Sire M7 works in passive mode with the batteries removed.

I’m assuming that if Active is switched off, batteries are completely disconnected. 
(It would be handy to know this for definite, but it doesn’t seem to be included in any specs).

38 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m pretty sure the preamp drains the battery when the bass is plugged in, even if it’s switched to passive , doesn’t the lead complete the circuit 

If the battery connection is disconnected when the A/P switch is activated it won't drain the battery.

8 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

If the battery connection is disconnected when the A/P switch is activated it won't drain the battery.

That would take a fancier switch than what is needed for just A/P?

If your multimeter reads mA you could put it between one terminal and the battery and see if it jogs on and off with the switch.

I got a response by email from Wendell at Sire:

Batteries will drain as long as the bass is plugged in, however, it doesn't drain fast enough in passive mode compared to active mode.

(not sure quite what to make of “fast enough”)