Why become a member? ×

Fretless board

OliverBlackman

Levelling a fretless fingerboard can be tricky without a rig to keep everything stable and correctly aligned. Essential is a sanding board with the correct/matching radius. "Steady as she goes" is the correct approach and perfectly possible for someone who can do DIY, for example.

• Thanks 1

On 19/02/2022 at 14:38, OliverBlackman said:

I don’t like the sound of flats on my fretless jazz so use rounds. Only issue is it’s an uncoated Ebony board and gets the usual string grooves. Are these easy enough to sand down with fine sand paper? Are there any pitfalls to doing this?

Is it actual grooves or just the snail trails that you have on the fingerboard? It normally takes years to wear grooves into fingerboards. It would be interesting to see how bad it is

14 hours ago, Delberthot said:

Is it actual grooves or just the snail trails that you have on the fingerboard? It normally takes years to wear grooves into fingerboards. It would be interesting to see how bad it is

You’re right that it’s more trails than grooves. Not really sure if it has an affect on sound/ tuning. If it’s something best left to professionals I’ll probably keep using it until it’s worse. Might decide to get in coated as well.

6CCD457F-58F1-4540-A53D-5AD668A24205.jpeg

If it's not causing the strings to buzz, just leave it.  A little wear improves the sound of a fretless imo. 

My best fretless did start to buzz (30 years of round wounds) so it went to the original makers for a "shooting"; when it gets that bad it would be hard to fix yourself.  The Ebony is now rather thin but if it lasts another 30 years it will see me out.

• Thanks 1