Why become a member? ×

Reamping for guitar

Owen

My band used it in 2013 when we recorded an album. We recorded the guitars through a buffered splitter, with one channel straight into Cubase and one channel going through an AxeFX to have the feel of the amplified tone while recording. The guitars were then reamped through a Radial X-amp reamp DI (to solve any impedance issues when going from a line signal back to an instrument input) into an ENGL Powerball with a mic'ed ENGL 412 and a Mesa Mk IV with a dual-mic'ed Mesa Road King 412 cab (dual mics because one half of the cab is closed-back with V30's and one half is half-open back with Celestion Custom 90 and sounds very different). Worked a treat! We have the luxury of our own rehearsal space in a former cable factory, which we share with our sound engineer, who has built a brilliant studio in the same space with a well-insulated control room, and we did the re-amping at night when the building is empty so we didn't bother anyone with the volume.

On the few occasions that I have tried re-amping it never offered me anything tonally over what I could already get out of the plug-ins I was using.

IMO the most important thing (especially with overdriven guitar sounds) is to record the parts while playing through an amp (but not recording the amp sound) so that you get the interaction between the guitar and amp/speaker. No amount of emulation or re-amping can simulate this. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Owen said:

Is anyone, and if so what are you using? I can cobble together a guitar part in logic but it would be nice to give it an amp sheen.

TIA

I use plug-ins too. My current favourites for the majority of my sounds are both from Neural DSP. The "Nolly" and "Cory Wong" plug-ins offer a wide range of tones from glassy cleans, strat bite, crunch and metal tones.

For me the trick is to emulate the sound of a room / micing up situation to make the plug-in sound more realistic - as I'd been stuck with plug-ins that weren't;t so good in the past.

Good plugins are lush. But I do not have them. I suppose I could spend the money on plugins instead of a Re-amp box. However, I just fancy trying it.

The Radial stuff look fine and dandy.

I can see the playing through an amp to get that interaction while recording thing as well. However, I am a bodging guitarist at best and have to glue together so many takes to get a passable sounding track that making my wife listen to 3 hours of loud amp would go down like a bucket of cold sick.

Edited by Owen

37 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Just running a passive DI box backwards (balanced out of your DAW into the XLR socket, unbalanced out to your amp using guitar lead) will do it.

This.

You may need to make up a special XLR lead if your audio interface has XLR outs as you are essentially joining two "outputs" to each other, but otherwise it works fine. This is the method I have used on those occasions when I have tried re-amping.

Yep I am running Logic and I have a couple of Waves plug ins. I just fancied putting stuff I had recorded through an amp to try and get a more holistic sound, so that the nuances (but not deliberate) in my playing would be normalised.

• 3 weeks later...