Why become a member? ×

Saying goodbye to compressor

Guest BassAdder27

I’m seriously thinking if I really need to use an outboard compressor pedal and my Boss TU3 

I am liking the fact it keeps my signal in check on my ABM600 but perhaps if I turn down the input slightly I can ignore the use of a compressor ( acting more as a limiter ) and as I tune up typically twice per session with the band ditch the tuner and use a clip on when not playing ( start of set ) 

I would still use my Line 6 G30 wireless which I really.

Just a thought do I really need the compressor at all ?

I never slap and play finger style for mostly rock 

Edited by BassAdder27

I go through this very same cycle.
At present with my gigging band it’s Precision - Sansamp - whatever amp I’m using, with a clip on tuner, ease of use/set up/break down etc.

For my classic rock band, as the studio has 810s I’ve put a compressor back in the line to tame the sound a tad, plus as the music is much more difficult a compressor helps me to be a bit more spot on. I also put a pedal tuner in as well. 
I should add that there’s barely any compression going on, and hardly noticeable, it just tightens the sound up a touch.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

A TC Electronic Spectracomp is great if you're undecided as it's a cheap but powerful 3 band unit with loads of toneprints and you can use the tone editor if you want to go deeper. That way you can experiment with all types of settings to see if any compression types float your boat. 

Between the toneprints and the tone editor, if you can't find a setting you like then comp is not for you, but I'll bet you'll find something in there you'll want to keep even if it's to use as an effect rather than always on.

I'm currently running two, one set up for bass guitar and another for EUB.

Edited by Boodang

Bypassed the compressor at my last gig. The venue has a lot of electrical noise and the comp just boosted it when I wasn't playing.

Did have to fiddle with levels a bit as first set was a jazz with rich but gentle '63 alnico pups, second was Epiphone Embassy with wall-shaking humbuckers.

Really enjoyed being able to change my sound much more by digging in.

My compressor does have the feel of being a 'better knob' but on the other hand that increased palette of sounds from playing without one...

• Like 1

On 14/02/2022 at 12:06, BassAdder27 said:

I’m seriously thinking if I really need to use an outboard compressor pedal and my Boss TU3 

I am liking the fact it keeps my signal in check on my ABM600 but perhaps if I turn down the input slightly I can ignore the use of a compressor ( acting more as a limiter ) and as I tune up typically twice per session with the band ditch the tuner and use a clip on when not playing ( start of set ) 

I would still use my Line 6 G30 wireless which I really.

Just a thought do I really need the compressor at all ?

I never slap and play finger style for mostly rock 

Anything else in the signal path ?

out of interest, what amp/rig are you running... I used to be all about "bass - lead - amp - cab" then I got older and could no longer lug the mighty 76 Orange superbass head and a 4x12 about and went all small tranny.. at which point the pedals started to accumulate.. is there a correlation?

22 hours ago, p4ul said:

out of interest, what amp/rig are you running... I used to be all about "bass - lead - amp - cab" then I got older and could no longer lug the mighty 76 Orange superbass head and a 4x12 about and went all small tranny.. at which point the pedals started to accumulate.. is there a correlation?

I’m using an Ashdown ABM600 and Ampeg SVT212AV cab 

I'm sure there are lots of sutuations where a compressor pedal isn't needed.

Not using a compressor pedal isn't the same as not using any compression though:

• I don't play with a plectrum but I remember a video with Nolly Getgood saying using a soft plectrucm is basically his compression pedal (in the way that it makes the attack/volume more consistent)
  • Amps like the ABM 600 have a compression dial
  • Driving a tube amp adds compression
  • Any form of drive pedal (e.g. overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals) adds compression
  • FOH will often add compression to the PA signal 
  • And if you're recording then the engineer adds compression, and mastering adds compression.

I find a compressor pedal useful as: I don't play with a plectrum, my amp doesn't have compression dial and is a transparent class D type, I often don't use drive pedals, and ideally I'd like to fine-tune my compression (attack/release/ratio/side-chain EQ) rather than having others do too much.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SumOne said:
  • I don't play with a plectrum but I remember a video with Nolly Getgood saying using a soft plectrum is basically his compression pedal (in the way that it makes the attack/volume more consistent)

Ah that makes good sense. I only took up using a plectrum a few years back and it did take a little while getting used to it vs playing with fingers. Was kinda surprised to hear that none of the more experienced bass players in other bands that my bandmates play with, were using picks.

I love the crispness of the attack a pic provides and it also combines really well with palm muting. Certainly wouldn't want it on every track though, but it's definitely nice to be able to include it in the mix.

• Like 2