Why become a member? ×

NBD - Squire Classic Vibe 60’s Pbass

Guest BassAdder27

So my backup bass ( 2nd attempt ) arrived today 

Squire Classic Vibe 60’s PBass and it’s a pretty decent instrument.

Ok the quality isn’t quite my Player Series but it’s pretty dam close.

Plugged in it sounds decent but I need to swop the stock strings and put some 7150ml on it ( my preferred set )

Its about half the cost of a Player Series but it’s really quite decent and opens up scope for upgrades in the future.

This is a better backup bass and use around the house bass and I’m now happier with my choice 

Pictures to follow but for now a stock image is below ABB185AE-6CC6-40D7-B8AB-78C04A72AF61.jpeg.d3677d8f275a9acbbda55c4cb68a3b06.jpeg

Update .. it appears my new bass has an issue with the pickup. If you move it ( push against the foam )it cuts out.

Started noticing it when I plugged it in and had nothing until I moved pickup slightly.

All credit to Andertons as they are sending a replacement and picking it up Monday. 

3 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

Update .. it appears my new bass has an issue with the pickup. If you move it ( push against the foam )it cuts out.

Started noticing it when I plugged it in and had nothing until I moved pickup slightly.

All credit to Andertons as they are sending a replacement and picking it up Monday. 

Oh man that sucks, sorry to hear that, Anderson's customer service is really good they will take care of you, I found Squiers are a bit hit and miss in terms of quality control so make sure when you get the replacement that you check everything thoroughly

D367FC33-B4D0-442C-A686-47432A25F8FC.thumb.png.d7f142c7d19e8167de5c006dcbf61dc5.pngSo my replacement arrived from Andertons and it was unpacked and inspected 

I found a dink in the headstock, a scratch on the back and scuff marks on the main body edge.

Called Andertons and asked them to replace it but this time I’m going for the Classic Vibe 70’s PBass in black as shown in this image 

Third time lucky hopefully but I’m not having great luck at getting a bass delivered new that isn’t damaged !

Edited by BassAdder27

2 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

D367FC33-B4D0-442C-A686-47432A25F8FC.thumb.png.d7f142c7d19e8167de5c006dcbf61dc5.pngSo my replacement arrived from Andertons and it was unpacked and inspected 

I found a dink in the headstock, a scratch on the back and scuff marks on the main body edge.

Called Andertons and asked them to replace it but this time I’m going for the Classic Vibe 70’s PBass in black as shown in this image 

Third time lucky hopefully but I’m not having great luck at getting a bass delivered new that isn’t damaged !

That sucks, I had a similar experience with ordering a Squier CV bass, had 2 both with issues, I could have had a 2nd replacement but I decided not too but from what I have seen when you get a good one they are usually really good

On 05/02/2022 at 15:31, BassAdder27 said:

With that nice maple neck, you might want to go with GHS or D'Addario black tapewounds.

th.jpeg-413.jpg

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

I what way does the "quality" lag behind the player series?  The player series always seemed a bit average to me for precision of build and finish.

I would agree that the player series is pretty average, if I was buying a p bass and had the £500-600 to spend I would probably look at buying used but some people really like the player series

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

I what way does the "quality" lag behind the player series?  The player series always seemed a bit average to me for precision of build and finish.

You're right, in no way do they lag behind the Player Series basses.

I've tried a few dozen Player basses and not one moved me enough to reach into my pocket and pull out my wallet...I wouldn't even buy a new one if they were $500.

Both my Squiers put them to shame as do most of the 40th Anniversary Squier basses...easily 5 or 6 I could see myself playing, both the passive and active ones. 

The truth is, the Player basses are unexciting, the very definition of meh.

PhotoCollage_1643261940350.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk

On 05/02/2022 at 20:31, BassAdder27 said:

On Friday I ordered a Bass VI from Andertons and when I placed the order, I phoned them and asked if it was possible for them to send the one with the darkest fretboard as laurel can look quite insipid and pale. The person I spoke to said that they could maybe open up a couple and have a look but they couldn't open them all up because customers wouldn't want them to have been resealed (?). I take that to mean that they don't normally check their instruments before they send them out. I've no idea if the one I got was actually the one with the darkest fretboard or not, but it looked OK out of the box and with bit of lemon oil on it, it looks great. 

28 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

I guess there is a large % of returns and the quality so far has been poor.

My Player series was perfect and as of yet in a different quality league !

I assume both have good and bad quality issues but I’m sure my third bass with be ok 

The Bass VI was the first of the Indonesian Classic Vibes I've had and I was surprised at how well made it is. I've had lots of the Chinese Classic Vibes in the past and they were all excellent but I always felt that the Indonesian Vintage Modifieds I tried felt quite cheap in comparison and a couple were unplayable, so was unsure about how the new Classic Vibes would be. Aside from the usual gripes about the stock strings and bridge on the Bass VI not being fit for purpose, the only flaw I've found is a miniscule imperfection in the finish by the nut, but other than that it's perfect. 

Ok folks better news ..

The replacement arrived and it’s very nice, in fact nicer than the 60’s vibe

Plays very well out of the box and needs very little adjustment. 
Thing to note ..

This came boxed with so much more protection ( the Squire box ) so I think that’s why the 60’s vibe were turning up marked etc.

Further reports later but some images below for now C7ECE236-CE81-4366-BFF5-9F8910D1A4A3.thumb.jpeg.2868bdc53ef853a4f3b00b58aa38d89e.jpegFF68184D-9D88-4FE2-BE2F-93EB1615A5EC.thumb.jpeg.e122446af4257f25e755235c7f8fe1b3.jpeg8F63B7B2-5FAA-4FD5-B43F-2B6071DAAE60.thumb.jpeg.d60e4eddc2934ab056f14f466d8dc130.jpeg

Edited by BassAdder27