Why become a member? ×

Any Markbass CMD121P users here?

ossyrocks

Hi chaps,

I looking for a lightweight amp, but powerful enough for jams and small gigs. I've never bought a decent bass amp before, but these have caught my eye.

If anyone here has experience of them in a live setting please chime in.

Cheers,

Rob

I had one, with the matching NY121 cab. The combo on its own was loud enough for live use with my band at the time which consisted of drums, 2 basses, 3 guitars, keyboards and 2 singers, doing punky/indie type music. Adding in the cab really filled the sound out but the combo on its own was easily enough.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I had one, with the matching NY121 cab. The combo on its own was loud enough for live use with my band at the time which consisted of drums, 2 basses, 3 guitars, keyboards and 2 singers, doing punky/indie type music. Adding in the cab really filled the sound out but the combo on its own was easily enough.

+1 can't add anything to that!

• Like 1

The last couple of gigs I did before knocking the whole business on the head was with a CMD121P combo.

I was amazed how well it coped with a full band, no problems at all.

A couple of other people used it so I was able to hear how good it sounded out front too.

Excellent amp.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SuperSeagull said:

Yes. Also have the NY121. Superb set up and the combo easily loud enough on it’s own in most situations I have found myself. I’m in the process of switching to Ashdown in search of something a little warmer sounding. 

Thanks for that. From what I’m reading, the Markbass combo is quite a warm sounding amp. That’s what I’m looking for. In what ways does it not do what you’re looking for?

• Like 1

I had a one as my main gigging amp for ages and it was great. We're not a quiet band in the slightest and I always found it provided the right amount of volume to be good for stage monitoring when the PA is decent and doing all the hard work, and similarly good for going backline-only in a small room that doesn't warrant a massive PA so doesn't have one. Of course it can fall down when you turn up to a room that should have a decent PA but doesn't, though at that point you'll still probably find it goes louder than you expected on its own, and hopefully there's a cab lying around that you can borrow.

I had the NY121 cab as well, though it only went to one gig in the time I had it, and it didn't actually need to; I only took it because it was an out of town venue I'd never been to so didn't know what to expect, but in the event the combo would have done fine on its own. I started travelling even lighter - just taking a Nano 300 head and plugging into house cabs or pre-arranging to borrow a cab from another band - so I sold the combo and cab to free up some room. Ended up missing the combo, though, so I bought a new one with the much nicer leather handle ..and then the world went down the pan so I've not had chance to use it yet!

A pal uses one and I'm always surprised how well it fills the room, even without the extension cab. MB stuff seems to have the ability to project. I saw a band last year and the bass player was using the 2x10 combo, in a loud setting (there were two guitar players with Boogies) in a large pub. The bass had a real punch in the chest quality and it wasn't routed through the PA.

2 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

Thanks for that. From what I’m reading, the Markbass combo is quite a warm sounding amp. That’s what I’m looking for. In what ways does it not do what you’re looking for?

Mine is paired with a Status bass - it's such a subjective thing getting the sound. I've used MB for 13 years - might just be my ears were getting bored. You'll find it a super bit of kit. 

3 hours ago, Ed_S said:

I had a one as my main gigging amp for ages and it was great. We're not a quiet band in the slightest and I always found it provided the right amount of volume to be good for stage monitoring when the PA is decent and doing all the hard work, and similarly good for going backline-only in a small room that doesn't warrant a massive PA so doesn't have one. Of course it can fall down when you turn up to a room that should have a decent PA but doesn't, though at that point you'll still probably find it goes louder than you expected on its own, and hopefully there's a cab lying around that you can borrow.

I had the NY121 cab as well, though it only went to one gig in the time I had it, and it didn't actually need to; I only took it because it was an out of town venue I'd never been to so didn't know what to expect, but in the event the combo would have done fine on its own. I started travelling even lighter - just taking a Nano 300 head and plugging into house cabs or pre-arranging to borrow a cab from another band - so I sold the combo and cab to free up some room. Ended up missing the combo, though, so I bought a new one with the much nicer leather handle ..and then the world went down the pan so I've not had chance to use it yet!

I retro-fitted a leather handle to mine, makes it a much nicer carry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just had one of Mark Bass combo CMD 121P in my studio and made a comparison video with my GK Fusion combo. 
Maybe it will help You decide.  It is not in a live gig but maybe it would be helpful.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Obra said:

I just had one of Mark Bass combo CMD 121P in my studio and made a comparison video with my GK Fusion combo. 
Maybe it will help You decide.  It is not in a live gig but maybe it would be helpful.

The Mark Bass does it for me.

• Like 1