Why become a member? ×

Rob Allen, Kinal Kompact, Veillette Minotaur, Spector Timbre Junior, etc etc...

andyaber

I already own too much gear that I play too little.  This represents too much money and takes up too much space.

So I've been thinking of easing this situation by buying another bass, possibly for silly money.

I play at home for my own entertainment mostly sat down and unplugged.

I've been thinking of the above acoustic-ish possibly short or medium scale basses to be my go to bass.  I'm also thinking of 5 string with high c or even 6 string models.

The problem is they tend to be very silly money and rare new or used.

A couple of questions.  How much louder than an unplugged electric bass are they?  What sort of tone do they achieve?  

Do any members have experience of these basses or buying one, new or used, from overseas?  Any alternatives?

Thanks for your input guys, Andy.

• Like 1

That's really nice.

I may be looking for something that doesn't exist in that I like the look and quality of Rob Allen or Veillette but wold like a bit more volume.  The Kinal Kompact is very interesting but not sure about unplugged volume or tone, The body is only 21/2" deep.  The Spector Timbre Junior has a bigger, deeper body and is cheaper than the other options but not convinced about quality.

Possibly I need the mongrel child of all the above.

Any luthiers known to members to make one?

Has any member had experience of dealing with Mike Kinal in Canada?

I'm wondering about security of paying with bank order, time scale for making the bass, shipping and insurance and cost, quality of instrument or any issues?

His Kompact bass may be the closest to what I want but still silly money if not right.

Hi,  Thanks for the suggestion guys.  There are many wonderful basses available.

I think I'm looking for something a bit more acoustic but avoiding the problems of many acoustic bass guitars if that makes sense.

Something with a more hollow possibly deeper body and probably 30 or 32 inch scale.  Something that doesn't need plugging in.

Perhaps I'm a bit like a kid in a sweet shop not knowing what he wants.  I've just returned to playing and seeing all those wonderful varieties out there, want them all.

The bass I'm picking up most at the moment is an Alvarez msb1 which is tiny but nice to play.  The scale is too short and the body too small for good tones though.

• 2 months later...

Here's a short-list of key features:  Rosewood body; maple ‘C’-section neck — 41mm (1.6”) at nut, 54mm (2.13”) at 12th fret; sculpted ergonomic recesses for fore-arm and rib-cage;  single active neck pick-up; thru-body stringing; adjustable nut; medium scale length = 31.75"; weight = 3.75kg. The body is 8cm (3.14") deep.

1577019336_Gillett2copy.thumb.jpeg.e7df7d90f4e76c673e1819b55830d8e3.jpeg

• Like 1