Why become a member? ×

Hmmm, Bass Gallery might court controversy here

Clarky

1 hour ago, dclaassen said:

I guess I am more concerned with ideas than symbols. Doc Martens used to be skinhead wear…I’m not offended by a pair of shoes, but will happily work to combat ignorance and blind hate. The fact that you are reacting to something you know almost nothing about concerns me as well. 

well - go on then, please do explain to us (that know almost nothing about it ) why we shouldn’t find the battle flag of the confederacy offensive.

(and I guess Ild wonder why you care if we find it offensive?)

Afterwards I’ll explain the basics of semiology which will hopefully help you understand if not agree with most views in this thread, and also why ideas and symbols can’t really be separated 

• Like 1

Okay, this is going to be difficult. I am, by and large, a Classicist. Your response suggests to me that you embrace postmodernism. So, we are already seeing different truths. However, the general assumption I have seen expressed here is that anyone who is not offended (not ever sure what that term even means to you) and who does not blindly label anyone associated with a symbol, flag, statue, a subhuman hate-monger is just too stupid, backward, and detestable to be in the presence of all this moral superiority.

Here’s an idea…if you don’t like the guitar, don’t buy it. 

I support your right to think and believe however you wish….right along with everyone else.

As a bonus, you might want to read up on all the fine Englishmen who supported the confederacy. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Kev locked this topic