Why become a member? ×

A Word of Warning

Adee

I bought a Guild B-301 off Basschat about three months ago and it needed a re-fret.
So I looked up my local guitar repair people, I had a couple to choose from.
Being on a tight budget, I went with the cheaper quote and dropped the bass off
and gave him the instructions . . . . that was 10 weeks ago.

He said it would take about 2 weeks max, unfortunately during the first 1 week
he broke his arm !. He'd started the job so I decided to leave it with him but give
him 6 or 7 weeks before I rang him again.

After an agonising 7 weeks I gave him a call and he said he was ready to start work again.
and it would be ready by the end of the week, It wasnt and he went on holiday for a week
with out even telling me !.

Once he got back he said I've only got 2 frets to do and the set up, so I gave him another
week and went to collect it on Sunday.

I was faced with a complete pile of rubbish, the workmanship was crap at best
the last two frets looked like they had been put in by a 2 year old, none of the frets
had ben levelled and you could drive a bus under the strings !

When I pointed this all out to him, he was surprised and shocked ! He tried to set it up
but because the frets were so badly done there was no chance at all to get a bass that
was playable let alone a pleasure to play.

He decided to let me have the bas back and take no payment, which was fair enough
but now I have taken the bass to another local chap (Paul at Arrowhead)
YES I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE GONE WITH PAUL TO START WITH , I'M STUPID, VERY STUPID

If any one wants to know who the other guy is so they can avoid him, then drop me a PM.

So dont go by websites or what someone tells you they can do. Look at their work and
speak to their customes before you leave your prize guitar with a BUTCHER !

I have just had my prized Ibanez Musician Bass re-fretted and I got an amazing job, fabulous workmanship, even the nut was remade to the original spec with a brass liner.

I had this work done by: The Guitar Shop in Worcester, owned and run by Stuart Field, I cannot recommend highly enough.

Cheers

Unfortunately, this seems to be a story I've heard over and over in relation to guitar repairs. It seems bassists in particular are susceptible to rubbish service, as a lot of repairman are OK with handling a guitar, but haven't got the first idea how to set up a bass. I think what you've said near the end is correct, it's important to see the work the guy has done recently to get some idea of what his skills are like.

Martin at Sei basses charged me £130 to fret a fretless bass, that included a perfect setup. It took him two days to cut the fret slots by hand, the neck was bound and he didn't want to damage the binding. He did a fantastic job.

My advice is this....if you can't afford to have it done by a professional like Martin, then wait a few weeks until you can. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='456396' date='Apr 7 2009, 01:52 PM']Martin at Sei basses charged me £130 to fret a fretless bass, that included a perfect setup. It took him two days to cut the fret slots by hand, the neck was bound and he didn't want to damage the binding. He did a fantastic job.

My advice is this....if you can't afford to have it done by a professional like Martin, then wait a few weeks until you can. It'll be cheaper in the long run.[/quote]

Not just tat, those chaps at The Gallery do a basic set-up at a very competitive rate and with a quick turn-around time. If it's as cheap, quicker and better, why go anywhere else?

Cheers Guys

The Bass is now with Arrowhead, I know Paul will do what is required to make the bass
as good as possible.

Can't wait to get it back !
I've waited 10 week so whats another 2 !

Ade

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='456396' date='Apr 7 2009, 01:52 PM']Martin at Sei basses charged me £130 to fret a fretless bass, that included a perfect setup. It took him two days to cut the fret slots by hand, the neck was bound and he didn't want to damage the binding. He did a fantastic job.

My advice is this....if you can't afford to have it done by a professional like Martin, then wait a few weeks until you can. It'll be cheaper in the long run.[/quote]
Martin at the gallery (sei bass) is the only guy i would trust, i've even had him replace two fingerboards for me, one on my wal & another on my warwick thumb nt6, both were fretted originaly & now they're both plain ebony fretless basses, his work is 2nd to none :)

[quote name='Adee' post='457732' date='Apr 8 2009, 07:20 PM']Cheers Guys

The Bass is now with Arrowhead, I know Paul will do what is required to make the bass
as good as possible.

Can't wait to get it back !
I've waited 10 week so whats another 2 !

Ade[/quote]

you only have to wait one week - it's done :)

P.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='457977' date='Apr 8 2009, 11:47 PM']you only have to wait one week - it's done :rolleyes:

P.[/quote]

Wey Hey ! :D

But I'm away until Monday visiting my Moe-and-Law :)

Can't wait too pick it up !