Why become a member? ×

Korean P or Aria 5?

Rayman

I'm looking at a modest purchase.... can't decide on wether to go old school with an early 90s Korean Squier P bass or a 90s Aria IGB 5.... 

I had a MIK Squier Strat years ago that was really nice.... I'm guessing that the quality would be decent... with flats on it.... nice old school P on a budget?

However I'd like a decent 5er... and the Aria looks well put together....

Any opinions  on either?

Yeah, I know they're poles apart.... I DO want a Precision with flats, but my Yamaha is already doing a decent impersonation for now.... 

I could really do with a 5er though... 

200 quid for the Aria, and it's  described as "unmarked".... 1990 something... looks like a decent purchase, I just don't know a lot about them

Couple of threads on here about inexpensive flats... Adagio or Olympia... i think they are the same strings in different boxes are great for the price.

Got Adagio's on an electric and an acoustic bass... and just got some Olympia flats for Christmas for a 6 String Guitar, My P Bitsa and My J Bitsa...

The nut is a little low on the J bitsa, and buzzes a little on the A and D with regular 45-100 Rounds, The slightly higher tension of the 45-100 Flats look to of cured the issue.

Some of the solid finish MIK Squiers have plywood bodies, had a red Strat like that years ago. If it's an E serial it'll be a Young Chang (subsequently busted for selling the same guitars under their own Fenix brand) and these are generally regarded as very good. And probably not ply.

That said, 90s Arias are excellent quality & VFM, I've always fancied an IGB. So I've no idea which you should go for!

8 hours ago, Rayman said:

Yeah, I know they're poles apart.... I DO want a Precision with flats, but my Yamaha is already doing a decent impersonation for now.... 

I could really do with a 5er though... 

200 quid for the Aria, and it's  described as "unmarked".... 1990 something... looks like a decent purchase, I just don't know a lot about them

You might be able to get the Aria down a bit. As per my previous post, great basses, but awful resale value. 

• Like 1

Yeah, unfortunately he wasn't open to offers, but I bought it anyway. My days of buying and selling on, I HOPE, are over (unless it REALLY isn't for me), so I'm hoping that they're all keepers. ... but we always say that don't we. 

If it it isn't right soundwise, I can bang in a Nordstrand.... I'm confident that it'll be a nice player.

My last two purchases, we're both with a view to upgrading pups, but I got lucky with both, they're great stock. Maybe I'll get lucky with this one too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Is it the IGB 68/5 that was on eBay? I was casually watching that, had been relisted a few times so was hoping the seller would drop the price!  They're decent basses, my local music shop had one in back in the day for around £450 and I had the passive 4 string version (IGB 55) a few years ago.

Aye, that's the one.... I watched it for a few weeks on the bay.... unwatched, watched again....... I kept going back to it, so I went for it.

• Like 1