Why become a member? ×

The Pedal GAS Thread

stewblack

1 hour ago, admiralchew said:

I picked up the FTelettronica PLL and  Envelope Follower a couple of weeks ago and have been impressed by both. I was fiddling around with the Envelope Follower yesterday evening and it’s very flexible and very wet (as opposed to croaky) sounding. I’ve not played a Meatball though so can’t say how close they are.

I’m planning to spend more time on it over the next couple of days and maybe try it with a different bass; I tried it with a passive bass and had to keep sensitivity at max and dig in to get it to trigger as much as I wanted but when it was dialled in it sounded great.

FTelettronica were great to order through and the pedal arrived in less than a week.

Is that the big blue one or the smaller black and red one?

13 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

Is that the big blue one or the smaller black and red one?

The big blue one. I’ve been considering a few other of their pedals too.  I’m interested in the Subversive Propaganda and a couple of their drive pedals.

Both units are well made and sound great. They take up a lot of real estate and have side jacks but I mainly use them on a desk too so cramming them into a pedal board matters less to me.

1E7A0A88-3812-461F-B27B-3FB4A57286FF.thumb.jpeg.4e621ef5967f3adc20ba74aa62ca6296.jpeg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, admiralchew said:

The big blue one. I’ve been considering a few other of their pedals too.  I’m interested in the Subversive Propaganda and a couple of their drive pedals.

Both units are well made and sound great. They take up a lot of real estate and have side jacks but I mainly use them on a desk too so cramming them into a pedal board matters less to me.

1E7A0A88-3812-461F-B27B-3FB4A57286FF.thumb.jpeg.4e621ef5967f3adc20ba74aa62ca6296.jpeg

This is just making it worse 😅 odd it has control outs for Decay and Intensity but not the filter cutoff.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, stewblack said:

Having watched Bass The World's short clips using the JHS Pulp n Peel, I must confess to experiencing serious GAS.

It's a ton of cash for a single pedal, but it seems to alter the bass sound significantly, and for the better.

There’s one in the classifieds now!

Well. I’m back to pedals after denying them once again. 

I’ve recently changed all my rig to put some money in the bank but buying 2nd hand I have found very, very good classics (Fenders American Original precision, jazz… ABM 600 and a BF 610). 

Now that I love my tone even more than before (conflicting since my previous rig was pricier 😅) I’m back to studying what pedals do I want rather than an overwhelming (to me) HX effects. 

My first instinct was to get a Darkglass since I know them well. The Alpha Omega is pretty cool but maybe overkill for a punk rock trio… and I find Darkglass nails the treble but eats a lot of body/bass to my liking. 

so I bought a Pedaltrain nano and I’ve been checking and buying some bits… my chain will be Tuner / Compressor/ distortion/ fuzz. 

So far, my finding has been the collaboration devices compressor. Simple and clean without enhancing tone much but doing its job. And with a gain stage that is quite tasty! That’ll do for overdrive. 

Also on the way and to finish off the board I’ve a Fuzzrocious Lil Fella for distortion. The gate switch seemed very cool especially since a Woolly Mammoth fuzz will be here too, to put in front of!

WHAT A JOURNEY!!! This has been all in my biggest gear revolution…

As you can see, I’ve gone from ‘ah I don’t like pedals’ to a rather boutique mini board… and since I’ve not used pedals in like 2 years, I have to start from scratch from the board itself to the psu and patch cables - wish me luck!

Ander. 

Edited by Ander87
  • Like 2

I’ve spent the last few weeks comparing the Mutron III with the EHX Qtron. I’ve also just bought a Maxon AF9 which has the same controls (and importantly the ‘high range’ setting which I really like) to compare also. I think the MXR M87 is perfectly good enough for a pedal to take out of the house as each of the others are either massive or require a certain power supply or quite valuable. Maybe the Maxon will be the best mix of everything, guess I’ll find out!

I've been looking at delays (yes, I know, blasphemy on bass). I have a TC Flashback but I want one that can do momentary feedback, and also has a HPF. Lo and behold, SolidGoldFX make the EM-iii multi-head echo, which does both, plus other stuff. But xmas is coming up and I'm saving for a new house... 😔

• Like 1

Well, we're nearly there... Only the board and patch cables and PSU missing :D 

image.thumb.png.d6b14cae95a67d8651dfca018c47c3dc.png

I'm very likely replacing the Alpha Omega for the Lil Fella that's on it's way... having the woolly mammoth I've all the fuzz I could want so the lil fella will be my standard 'traditional' distortion...

And 'just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in' - I'm currently gassing over the PC-2A compressor from Effectrode... a valve inside!? what kind of witchcraft is this!

https://www.effectrode.com/products/effects-pedals/pc-2a-tube-compressor/

• Like 1

Oh this thing rips! Better bottom management than the Alpha Omega and a crunchier type of distortion (more alpha than omega lol)

0678EB94-7436-4C22-B133-FBA4908B1D75.thumb.jpeg.e5ad48bceeb0f5c819d21dd05bda2edc.jpeg

since I’m waiting for power supply board and cables I can only try it at 9v but bear with me, 18v should be here soon!

• Like 2

My Maxon Af9 is here. Only had a quick ply this eve but a quick A/B with the Qtron and Mutron reveals that I was right - it fits right in between and seems like a great combination of both. Had to import one from Italy in the end as couldn’t find the two knob (as opposed to slider) version anywhere close! 

I’m really tempted by a Source Audio Aftershock. They look like a lot of fun. I really don’t need another drive pedal tbh, I’ve got a Lomenzo hyperdrive, a EBS Sheehan sig, and a Darkglass X Ultra, but no harm in trying something else is there! 😀

• 1 month later...
On 27/03/2022 at 00:03, admiralchew said:

Has anyone had any experience with the Crazy Tube Circuits Locomotive overdrive? Like JAM, CTC is Greek, as is my partner so I’m considering picking one up when I’m next in Athens. It’s got a 12AY7 tube in a fetching hot pink housing depicting a train. What more could a person want.

Looking back through the thread - JAM, Cog, Doom 2 - you guys have got great GAS taste!

Well, it took me nine months but I’ve tracked down a Crazy Tube Circuits Locomotive! It seems they were discontinued as soon as I expressed an interest in getting one so getting hold of a reasonably priced one was tricky. I ended up picking a new one up from a shop in Athens.

I’ve not used it much yet as I’m moving house and almost everything is in a box but it’s got a good amount of drive in it and I like how it thickens up my sound.

E4231351-17E5-4BAB-BD05-10E945B25FE2.thumb.jpeg.35eec054aae1f02a6853d2d8421f1897.jpeg

I’m still on the hunt for a Cog T-70 and R-1 though! 2023 is meant to be a year for saving so I’ll watch this thread with caution!