Why become a member? ×

The Pedal GAS Thread

stewblack

I'll kick off with the Zero Point Flanger from Catalinbread.Catalinbread-Zero-Point.jpg.2f4dd19cc4e5575ba9d3e163fa1ebf77.jpg

Loved the blurb on the thinking behind it. Apparently designed to mimic the way a flanged sound was achieved by running the signal through two tape decks and slowing one by pressing on the tape with a finger! 

Controlled by two foot switches, one on/off the other simulating the finger on the tape, it produces an amazing sound.

I particularly like being able to control the 'flange' on the fly.

Can't afford it, don't need it. But boy oh boy I like the look of it.

• Like 4

Wifey just gave me her credit card so I can buy my Christmas present from her 😍

And I ordered one of these from Andertons:

JAM_Lucydreamer_Bass_01.thumb.jpg.7c51c2c0eec08bcecbf7babe1e80a0ec.jpg

No one needs hand painted pedals from Greece, there are cheaper alternatives.  But this is what I'm gassing after and its Christmas so...

• Like 3

1_COMP_FACE_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.c1023bf18703aebe7dd6027b30e0eb46.jpg

Doc Lloyd photon death ray!

Compressor with a side chain eq based on the human hearing.... so were assuming logarithmic (side chain is for triggering comp not eq'ing signal).

Sucker for pedals which take a different approach. Has good reviews and apparently good for bass, has a slower attack than the Diamond comp so let's initial transients through. And great artwork!

Can't find one for sale though.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, stewblack said:

I'll kick off with the Zero Point Flanger from Catalinbread.Catalinbread-Zero-Point.jpg.2f4dd19cc4e5575ba9d3e163fa1ebf77.jpg

Loved the blurb on the thinking behind it. Apparently designed to mimic the way a flanged sound was achieved by running the signal through two tape decks and slowing one by pressing on the tape with a finger! 

Controlled by two foot switches, one on/off the other simulating the finger on the tape, it produces an amazing sound.

A very interesting take on a flanger... I'm interested in this... more gas, aaahhh!!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, BillyBass said:

Wifey just gave me her credit card so I can buy my Christmas present from her 😍

And I ordered one of these from Andertons:

JAM_Lucydreamer_Bass_01.thumb.jpg.7c51c2c0eec08bcecbf7babe1e80a0ec.jpg

No one needs hand painted pedals from Greece, there are cheaper alternatives.  But this is what I'm gassing after and its Christmas so...

Jam pedals are great... looking at this for those 'Jaco' moments...

jam-pedals-ripply-fall-bass.thumb.jpg.438cfc39d75b02a59a80aff76dbe5cbc.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, stewblack said:

Everyone needs handpainted pedals from Greece.

Tell us about it @BillyBass

Its arriving tomorrow but I'll just plug it in and see if it works and then its back in its box until Christmas morning.  I'll post a mini review after Christmas.

11 hours ago, Boodang said:

Jam pedals are great... looking at this for those 'Jaco' moments...

jam-pedals-ripply-fall-bass.thumb.jpg.438cfc39d75b02a59a80aff76dbe5cbc.jpg

I have one of those.  I bought it during the first lockdown.

I reckon a whole board of mini (1590A) pedals would be cool. Something like this:

1. Tuner: Korg Pitchblack mini
  2. Octaver: Cog T-16
  3. Envelope Filter: There don't seem to be many good ones in mini size but Malleko, Mooer, and Joyo do them. (any recommendations?)
  4. Synth: Bananana Matryoshka (perhaps this would also covers octaver and filter stuff) 
  5. EQ: Sasouri 7 band or EWS BMC, or Sine Effect micro Para
  6. Overdrive: Cog Mini 66, or Mooer and Joyo pedals
  7. Fuzz: Plenty to choose from
  8. Phaser: MXR Phase 95
  9. Chorus: The usual suspects of Mooer and Joyo, but also Ibanez, TC Electronic and plenty of others.
  10. Preamp: One Control - Crimson Red, Blue 360, Silver Peg
  11. Compressor: Spectracomp or Becos mini, Wampler Ego, Pigtronix
  12. DI: Xvive, Mooer, Radial

It's not a sensible or rational choice as even if I could get them for an average of £50 each that's about £600 which is a couple of hundred more than I'd sell my Helix Stomp XL for - and it'd probably be less functional/convenient and take up more space once considering things like power supply.......still though, I'm quite keen. After all, making music and mucking about twith effects on Bass isn't exactly the most rational and sensible thing to spend time and money doing! 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SumOne said:

I reckon a whole board of mini (1590A) pedals would be cool. Something like this:

1. Tuner: Korg Pitchblack mini
  2. Octaver: Cog T-16
  3. Envelope Filter: There don't seem to be many good ones in mini size but Malleko, Mooer, and Joyo do them. (any recommendations?)
  4. Synth: Bananana Matryoshka (perhaps this would also covers octaver and filter stuff) 
  5. EQ: Sasouri 7 band or EWS BMC, or Sine Effect micro Para
  6. Overdrive: Cog Mini 66, or Mooer and Joyo pedals
  7. Fuzz: Plenty to choose from
  8. Phaser: MXR Phase 95
  9. Chorus: The usual suspects of Mooer and Joyo, but also Ibanez, TC Electronic and plenty of others.
  10. Preamp: One Control - Crimson Red, Blue 360, Silver Peg
  11. Compressor: Spectracomp or Becos mini, Wampler Ego, Pigtronix
  12. DI: Xvive, Mooer, Radial

It's not a sensible or rational choice as even if I could get them for an average of £50 each that's about £600 which is a couple of hundred more than I'd sell my Helix Stomp XL for - and it'd probably be less functional/convenient and take up more space once considering things like power supply.......still though, I'm quite keen. After all, making music and mucking about twith effects on Bass isn't exactly the most rational and sensible thing to spend time and money doing! 

Funnily enough, one of my projects has been a mini pedal board. Or at least a pedal board of mini pedals.

I've done it piecemeal over time, looking for bargains, and the envelope filter has been the sticking point. At present the slot is filled by the Mooer bass sweeper, but while a fine pedal, it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

However I hadn't even factored in the synth pedal so now I have to start gassing for that!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Funnily enough, one of my projects has been a mini pedal board. Or at least a pedal board of mini pedals.

I've done it piecemeal over time, looking for bargains, and the envelope filter has been the sticking point. At present the slot is filled by the Mooer bass sweeper, but while a fine pedal, it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

However I hadn't even factored in the synth pedal so now I have to start gassing for that!

I think the mini synth pedal choices are limited to the Bananana Matryoshka or the Mooer E7 and they seem fairly different: From the demos I've heard the Mooer seems better suited to ambient pad type and arpeggiated stuff and has 7x slots to store presets, the Matryoshka has no presets and costs double but seems better for solid synth Bass and bit-crushed kind of sounds. 

15 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I think the mini synth pedal choices are limited to the Bananana Matryoshka or the Mooer E7 and they seem fairly different: From the demos I've heard the Mooer seems better suited to ambient pad type and arpeggiated stuff and has 7x slots to store presets, the Matryoshka has no presets and costs double but seems better for solid synth Bass and bit-crushed kind of sounds. 

I have had a little look around and there's a few possibilities. The two you mention and Pigtronix Space Rip look interesting.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 15:38, stewblack said:

I love the sound of flangers, but...I would have no idea how they would be used in a song.  What songs would you use it for?

On 13/12/2021 at 00:47, Boodang said:

So, @BillyBass, with the Jam Ripple Fall bass pedal.... how are you liking it? And do you want to sell it?!

I have occasional use of the chorus effect, or had, until our guitarist pointed out that the chorus effect on 'Come as you are' was on the guitar, not the bass.  Bloody spoilsport😒

I'm experimenting a bit with it re thickening up my sound when the guitarist solos, so, no.  I won't be selling it.

The only thing I don't like about it is the shape.  Having a taller and narrower pedal, particularly with top mounted jacks would use less real estate.

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

I love the sound of flangers, but...I would have no idea how they would be used in a song.  What songs would you use it for?

We do a crazy psychedelic version of Born To Be Wild as an encore, I reckon a bit of swirly flange would fit that nicely.

• Like 3