Why become a member? ×

Building a Wal....ish

funkle

42 minutes ago, bornleft said:

In terms of the bridge, what do you plan to use?

A Hipshot ‘A’ bridge in brass. I’m sceptical of the tonal benefits…but they’re nice bridges. 

37 minutes ago, bornleft said:

After listening to the Maruszczyk demo on page 19 again, I do not find that tone to be close at all...

Do you agree?

It’s good tone, but not that close…

• Like 1

On 03/03/2023 at 14:53, NickA said:

All Wal pickups are passive in that voltage come out of them without putting any in.

..gotta say, this Wal obsession is getting a bit crazy.  As a Wal nut, Wal fanboy and owner of two of them I follow it avidly .... But is there a similar thread where people are trying to re engineer an Alembic series 2 or a Smith black Tiger.   And if not, why not?

I know of a few people who have cloned some of the Alembic onboard electronics formats very faithfully, but more so using modern variants of the early Bisonic pickups (Dark Star et al) rather than copying Series basses.

On 04/03/2023 at 09:53, NickA said:

But is there a similar thread where people are trying to re engineer an Alembic series 2

I've done the electronics which is easy enough, and am working on my idea of the Series pickups - there's no desire to clone them, but I'm coming at it from the idea of why Ron did what he did, and working from there and I know there are better ways to approach it now that was done in the late 60s. I have no desire to obsessively clone all of the hardware as I'm not convinced it will make a jot of difference and I have 2 basses that will be used as donor husks, and another couple without room to put all the controls onboard, but run a buffered output for each pickup through a 5 pin and do it in my own outboard rack mounted pre and power supply.

I've owned several Alembics and apart from the electronics, really don't see anything that special about them, and there's a lot I don't like, especially the silly pricing.

Unlike most people today, I have no desire to document all of it as I'm doing it for me, and who knows, I might decide to make some for others later.

This thread is fascinating and I'm enjoying reading it very much, and it's given me a few ideas to pursue down the line.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, crazycloud said:

I've owned several Alembics and apart from the electronics, really don't see anything that special about them, and there's a lot I don't like, especially the silly pricing.

Replace "Alembic" with "Wal" and I'm in a similar position!!    Likes = the sound, the flexibility.  Dislikes = the ergonomics, the price and (in the original ones) slightly dodgy build tolerances (eg is that neck angle what it should be, and why are the strings not evenly spaced?)  I think Pete Stevens was knocking them out quite rapidly in the late 80s / early 90s ....  not that it changes the SOUND, which is what it's all a bout IMO.

Though the workmanship on some of the Alembics is a bit special don't you think?

• Like 1

Is it correct to say that the completed project will use the same p/ups and pre-amp as used in your third sample?

If so, is it fair to say that very minimal if any, changes to the tonality of the final instrument are expected?

Body shape will produce no changes but "perhaps" the mahogany core will do "something"....

This is unlikely to be the final phase of the project....the mahogany body is the next step. It will use the same preamp and pickups as I presently have.

However, there are likely to be further changes after that too. We'll just have to see how each video/stage plays out. 

Well I believe, please correct me if I am in error, that you are done w/ p/up changes and probably pre-amp changes-

More than likely, you would have not commissioned the body otherwise....

That being the case I am not sure what is left for you to alter... and thus

how much closer you can get...

I guess no one stepped up to reverse engineer the pre-amp?

11 minutes ago, bornleft said:

Well I believe, please correct me if I am in error, that you are done w/ p/up changes and probably pre-amp changes-

More than likely, you would have not commissioned the body otherwise....

That being the case I am not sure what is left for you to alter... and thus

how much closer you can get...

I guess no one stepped up to reverse engineer the pre-amp?

No, this is not right.

I commissioned the body with pickup routes that will accommodate future pickup changes, which are at least possible, and from what may happen with the next video, at least moderately probable.  

Someone did step up (multiple someones) to reverse engineer the preamp, and I hope to receive an actual prototype Wal preamp clone in the near future (tweaked to allow for a more modern build and different IC etc, as the old one is unobtainium).

This took a lot of work behind the scenes, not least of which was me taking the preamp out and checking some connections/parts values for the latest person to put their mind to this. 

I will attach an update schematic here once it is emailed to me. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bornleft said:

Well that is reason enough to celebrate...

When do you expect the new pre-amp?

I don’t know. The designer is managing a flood in their area right now, so it seems indelicate to pressure them…

On 12/03/2023 at 02:15, NickA said:

Though the workmanship on some of the Alembics is a bit special don't you think?

Agreed, Alembics can be gorgeous, but I've seen just as good for a lot less money, and in terms of FnF, my Ibanez BTB is beautifully made and I wouldn't pay even 2x as much for Alembic grade finish, let alone much more than that for a Series, which is all I'd buy again. Similarly, I'm not the least bit interested in a Wal myself. I'll stop here and just enjoy one of the most interesting threads I've read in ages. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I also have in my hot little hands another full Wal preamp schematic from another source, that may be of interest. Will try to upload it today. 

The person who made this second schematic has also made their own Wal preamp clone, and I have this as well. 

CF55EAB3-318E-4D16-B05F-510A22D158A3.thumb.jpeg.6ddd25e2ae34dc246ae6bb15d9940783.jpeg

That is going to be the next few videos sorted…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, funkle said:

I also have in my hot little hands another full Wal preamp schematic from another source, that may be of interest. Will try to upload it today. 

The person who made this second schematic has also made their own Wal preamp clone, and I have this as well. 

CF55EAB3-318E-4D16-B05F-510A22D158A3.thumb.jpeg.6ddd25e2ae34dc246ae6bb15d9940783.jpeg

That is going to be the next few videos sorted…

Using a printed circuit board?  Hobbyists don't do that.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

I got some circuit boards made up and posted to me from China for less than the price of some etchant… so for one off things it can be doable.

Using the surface mounted parts however suggest more involved production! 

7 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I got some circuit boards made up and posted to me from China for less than the price of some etchant… so for one off things it can be doable.

Using the surface mounted parts however suggest more involved production! 

Maybe, maybe not.  I know of a service that will place surface mounted parts for you, as well as make your PCB boards, for a pretty darn reasonable price.

21 hours ago, slowburnaz said:

Maybe, maybe not.  I know of a service that will place surface mounted parts for you, as well as make your PCB boards, for a pretty darn reasonable price.

Yep, pick and place machines for SMT parts at vendors like JLCPCB have made that a quick, easy, and often very cheap alternative by now.

On 02/04/2023 at 06:22, Kiwi said:

Au contraire, I do it all the time and have been for over a decade. There's excellent free circuit design and PCB layout software available these days and I can start a design from scratch today and have a finished build by the end of next week very economically, no problem.

Edited by Passinwind
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, NickA said:

Oo, a compact surface mount Wal tronics clone.  That would be good to have.  Bit unfair on Electric Wood...but I guess they've had many years to reap the profits of the design work.

Everything electronic eventually gets cloned…especially if there’s no patent…I’m amazed someone in China hasn’t already done this.

But the point of this build is that visually I’m going nowhere near the look, which true Wal-nuts would fetishise…I just want the sound. And therefore Electric Wood will remain secure in their future…even when I get the sound right, no true Wal fan would want it…it lacks the cachet and rarity value of the real deal. I don’t think prices of Wals will suddenly fall. However I think people who could not afford one will have a go a building their own. So a different market segment will be interested. 

My own build will have no significant resale value, if I was foolish enough to ever sell it. However it will be perfect for me, once we’ve worked the kinks all out. 

Side note, I heard some sound clips of the Underhill filter preamp today and it sounded great. It also had a gritty quality to the sound, which I did not expect. It may be another strong contender. However I don’t know if I can face another preamp test with the present one already waiting in the wings. 

• Like 5