Why become a member? ×

Building a Wal....ish

funkle

Hello everyone, very interesting construction of the Wal..ish also a pleasure to read and learn more about the low Wal. 

Sorry for my english, I'm using an internet translator.

The first time I heard the sound of a Wal bass was on Rush's Power Windows album, especially on Territories, this was in 1985 or 86...I'm a Rush fan.

A few years ago in a store I had one in my hands and everything surprised me, especially the sound.

Then, at home I started to draw a model in autocad with the little information I found on the internet and photos and this was the result.

IMAGEN 1.jpg

IMAGEN 2.jpg

IMAGEN 5.jpg

IMAGEN 6.jpg

IMAGEN 9.jpg

• Like 4

A long time has passed since this, about 15 years or more and thanks to this thread I found the files on an old hard disk... I thought I had lost it.

Today I would like to share it with all of you and also be able to count on your knowledge to make the necessary adjustments so that this model is closer to the original.

Once these adjustments are finished I will share the cad files with all of you.

The following images show the data that I would like to verify.

2D-WAL-Frente.jpg

2D-WAL-Trasera.jpg

2D-WAL-Mastil y Seccion.jpg

2D-WAL-Puente.jpg

3D-PICKUP WAL-PARA EL FORO-1.jpg

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, PLB said:

A long time has passed since this, about 15 years or more and thanks to this thread I found the files on an old hard disk... I thought I had lost it.

Today I would like to share it with all of you and also be able to count on your knowledge to make the necessary adjustments so that this model is closer to the original.

2D-WAL-Frente.jpg

2D-WAL-Trasera.jpg

2D-WAL-Puente.jpg

I believe that the string-to-string spacing at the bridge is 18mm, rather than the 19mm you have listed here.

10 hours ago, PLB said:

2D-WAL-Frente.jpg

2D-WAL-Trasera.jpg

2D-WAL-Puente.jpg

Great drawings! I posted earlier in the thread at various points about the pickup distances, and their variability between models and even between different basses of the same model. Could I suggest you read back earlier in the thread for this info? I have listed it quite painstakingly. 

I also measured the width of the mahogany neck strips - again you will need to search for the information earlier in the thread. 

I measured Wal Mark 1 body thickness as being 40.5 mm at maximum thickness, so you could add that to the drawing. 

Bridge spacing is 18mm, not 19mm. Nut width is indeed 42 mm. 

Neck depth is I think quite variable between models. The V shape to the neck is common, and depth can be as much as 24mm at the first fret. 

I have developed the model by proportions and it would be interesting if someone could tell me what is the next measure to draw the bridge again.

Also, if someone can tell me the measurements in the drawing of the pickup.

Thank you so much

2D-WAL-Puente 1.jpg

I upload the schematic of the Wal Pro E preamp. I took them from a forum a few years ago and also drew them in CAD, but there are some spots that are circled in green that I don't understand what it says (if anyone knows please tell me). My knowledge of electronics is limited.

Also ask if someone can send me the schematic of the circuit board on which the pickup coils are mounted.

Thank you so much

Wal Pro E Schematic -preamp - Original.jpg

Wal Pro E Schematic -preamp- copia CAD.jpg

01-Pro E 1-preamp 1ª generation 1 pickup.jpg

02-Pro E 1-preamp 1ª generation 1 pickup.jpg

03-Pro E 2-preamp 1ª generation 2 pickups.jpg

04-Pro E 2-preamp 1ª generation 2 pickups.jpg

05-Pro E 2-Front view 2 pickups.jpg

This is the pickguard for a Wal Pro II with two passive pickups, series/parallel switching.

My intention is to build passive pickups for my bass in the future. Can someone explain to me what are the differences between passive and active Wal "pickups", I'm not talking about the preamp, I'm referring directly to the pickups.

Thank you so much

IMAGEN 1 (A).jpg

IMAGEN 2 (B).jpg

IMAGEN 2 (C).jpg

IMAGEN 2 (D).jpg

IMAGEN 2 (E).jpg

IMAGEN 2 (F).jpg

IMAGEN 2(A).jpg

IMAGEN 2.jpg

IMAGEN 3.JPG

4 hours ago, PLB said:

Hello I remembered that I had seen it in some threads. The spacing of the strings and the bridge is 19 mm on the Wal 4-string bass and 18 mm on the Wal 5-string bass

Especificaciones mastil y puente.jpg

Wal nec specs.doc 25 kB · 0 downloads Wal nec specs.doc 25 kB · 1 download

That’s not right. I have a 4 string Wal Mark 1 right next to me and it’s 18mm string spacing. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, funkle said:

@PLBre: pickups - I explain this at the beginning of the thread. You’re going to need to go back to the start of the thread and read from there…

👍

11 hours ago, funkle said:

That’s not right. I have a 4 string Wal Mark 1 right next to me and it’s 18mm string spacing. 

Thank you so much Funkle, I have already corrected it 👍

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, slowburnaz said:

That is insane.

Insane!

4 hours ago, Owen said:

Tone is tone.

And two thousand quid for fifty quids of material and labour is two thousand quid for fifty quids worth of materials and labour.

It's the law of shameless opportunism vs cash rich pensioners. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eude said:
2 hours ago, slowburnaz said:

Eso es una locura.

¡Loco!

🙈🔫

All Wal pickups are passive in that voltage come out of them without putting any in.

..gotta say, this Wal obsession is getting a bit crazy.  As a Wal nut, Wal fanboy and owner of two of them I follow it avidly .... But is there a similar thread where people are trying to re engineer an Alembic series 2 or a Smith black Tiger.   And if not, why not?