Why become a member? ×

Practice App recommendations?

SICbass

Hi All,

I have an Apogee Jam which I sometimes use for practice. I can jam along with stuff using Garageband on my iphone, but I find it a bit messy. Can the BC hive brain recommend any other particular apps (the simpler the better), I just want to be able to play along with songs which I have saved in Apple Music on my iPhone.

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a crackin' piece of kit, but my main criteria is size. I love the fact that the apogee fits in my pocket. When I'm off on holiday with the kids, keeping my own kit to an absolute minimum is my main concern. I have enough of their stuff to carry 🥴

IReal Pro is good. There’s a very good collection of jazz and Latin tunes, you can also download rock, pop and blues tunes too.

You get a lead sheet - just the chord changes. There’s also accompaniment if you want to practice a tune - I’ve only ever used it for jazz - there’s piano, drums and bass. There’s a mixer so you can remove any of the accompanying instruments.

Amplitube is pretty good.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube5/?utm_source=iksite&utm_medium=promofilter&utm_campaign=amplitube5

2 hours ago, ambient said:

IReal Pro is good. There’s a very good collection of jazz and Latin tunes, you can also download rock, pop and blues tunes too.

You get a lead sheet - just the chord changes. There’s also accompaniment if you want to practice a tune - I’ve only ever used it for jazz - there’s piano, drums and bass. There’s a mixer so you can remove any of the accompanying instruments.

Amplitube is pretty good.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube5/?utm_source=iksite&utm_medium=promofilter&utm_campaign=amplitube5

Thanks, I’ll give that a look. Can I play along to mp3s with that? e.g. I have a show I need to work on while we’re away for Xmas and I want to play along with the recordings of that.

22 minutes ago, SICbass said:

Thanks, I’ll give that a look. Can I play along to mp3s with that? e.g. I have a show I need to work on while we’re away for Xmas and I want to play along with the recordings of that.

Yes, it's an amp/cab sim and - as someone above has said - you can import directly from your Apple Music app.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

AmpliTube free for iOS.

Dead easy and you can buy extra bass amp models if you want. But you don’t have to. There’s an Ampeg on there free.

It has a Note at the bottom, you just click and it will import from your iTunes to play along with.

Its great.

That sounds perfect, thanks 👍

Thanks for your help and suggestions guys. Particularly @fretmeister, AmpliTube does exactly what I wanted 👍 and is already in my pocket 😀. FYI, there's a thing in settings where you can switch on background audio i.e. you can play stuff directly from AppleMusic (or whatever you're using) without having to import it into AmpliTube.

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SICbass said:

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a crackin' piece of kit, but my main criteria is size. I love the fact that the apogee fits in my pocket. When I'm off on holiday with the kids, keeping my own kit to an absolute minimum is my main concern. I have enough of their stuff to carry 🥴

There's a Crazy8 in the classifieds that can do low level gigs as well as practice duty if you cart along a micro amp. The reason it got called Crazy is it has a very stout 8'' Faital in a very small box to put out like a dog on heat. Kinda pricey though.

10 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

There's a Crazy8 in the classifieds that can do low level gigs as well as practice duty if you cart along a micro amp. The reason it got called Crazy is it has a very stout 8'' Faital in a very small box to put out like a dog on heat. Kinda pricey though.

Thanks for the suggestion but AmpliTube ticks all my boxes and is FREEEE!

If you want an enhanced practice tool, rather than just being able to play along to tracks can I recommend Anytune?  There is a free version (with ads) but it allows you to do loads with pitch and tempo changing, setting up practice marks and looping sections etc.  Really useful!

Cheers

Pete

4 hours ago, xzodar said:

If you want an enhanced practice tool, rather than just being able to play along to tracks can I recommend Anytune?  There is a free version (with ads) but it allows you to do loads with pitch and tempo changing, setting up practice marks and looping sections etc.  Really useful!

Cheers

Pete

That sounds interesting. Thanks, I’ll give it a look.

2 hours ago, steve-bbb said:

for silent practice i use and would recommend an iRig pro into ipad running amplitube

Hi @steve-bbb , I have a question regarding power. The Apogee Jam is powered from the iPhone which can cause it to drain relatively quickly. I looked for a double lightning splitter for my phone (so I could be on the charger and the Jam simultaneously) but the phone said “This function is not supported”. I see a power input on the iRig Pro - does that mean it wouldn’t have the power issue?

Edited by SICbass

15 hours ago, SICbass said:

Hi @steve-bbb , I have a question regarding power. The Apogee Jam is powered from the iPhone which can cause it to drain relatively quickly. I looked for a double lightning splitter for my phone (so I could be on the charger and the Jam simultaneously) but the phone said “This function is not supported”. I see a power input on the iRig Pro - does that mean it wouldn’t have the power issue?

I use mine with ipad so considerably better than phone battery - my irigpro is fairly old now and does not have the power through option - It runs on a 9v pp3 battery and is very low consumption battery seems to last for ever 😁

• Thanks 1