Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

1 hour ago, 0175westwood29 said:

hey guys considering coming back to ashdown.....well i use a ctm pre amp at the minute anyway but im looking at the abm 300 or should i just to the 600?

Headroom is good apparently, so if you can afford it go for the 600. I have it and it sounds awesome, but I'm starting to realise I'll probably never get close to getting the full 600W out of it so I'm sticking with my headroom hypothesis...

Edited by asingardenof
Fixed a typo

9 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Headroom is good apparently, so if you can afford it go for the 600. I have it and it sounds awesome, but I'm starting to realise I'll probably never get close to getting the full 600W out of it so I'm sticking with my headroom hypothesis...

I agree - better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

ABM600 - two nice efficient cabs (I’d go Barefeced but other cabs are available 😁) - and Robert is your father’s brother. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nickthebass said:

ABM600 - two nice efficient cabs (I’d go Barefeced but other cabs are available 😁) - and Robert is your father’s brother. 

Don’t need cabs I’ve got a few Peavey 215’s so will be using them live but want a ok head I’m thinking the full 300w at 4 ohm might be ok…

6 hours ago, 0175westwood29 said:

Don’t need cabs I’ve got a few Peavey 215’s so will be using them live but want a ok head I’m thinking the full 300w at 4 ohm might be ok…

With some big cabs, I think you're right. At practice, I'm putting my ABM-600 into an 8x10. I can't really turn the volume up much at all else other people start complaining! If you are intending on buying new, you can always return it in the 14 day window if the 300 isn't loud enough. 

32 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

When I asked Ashdown some years back if the ABM300 would be loud enough in a loud band they said it may struggle 

Yet the TE ELF 200w little amp will keep up !

In any band that the ELF would keep up obviously the AMB300 would also be fine. There are loud bands and loud bands, and obviously different efficiency speakers!

I think the cabs you have are equally important when it comes to volume. I have an ABM 600 and my 212 cab is way louder than the 2 x 15 cab I was using previously.

I would also choose the ABM 600 over the 300, they come up way more regularly second hand.

6 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

I think the cabs you have are equally important when it comes to volume. I have an ABM 600 and my 212 cab is way louder than the 2 x 15 cab I was using previously.

I would also choose the ABM 600 over the 300, they come up way more regularly second hand.

I use an ABM 500 EVO I and an EVO II with a Bergantino NV215 and I can't imagine needing anything louder onstage anywhere - I've used that rig on some pretty big stages too, indoors and out!

I think about the 600 vs 300, there is no situation that I can think of where the 600 wouldn't be enough. I can think of situations where the 300 might not be, so as a result, if you just want the 1 amp and to not think about it again, the 600 is a good bet.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

I think about the 600 vs 300, there is no situation that I can think of where the 600 wouldn't be enough. I can think of situations where the 300 might not be, so as a result, if you just want the 1 amp and to not think about it again, the 600 is a good bet.

The 300 and 600 weigh the same as well. I would like to change my previous answer!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nickthebass said:

Exactly my philosophy!

I can confirm that the ABM600 pairs really nicely with a Barefaced Two10.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

When I asked Ashdown some years back if the ABM300 would be loud enough in a loud band they said it may struggle 

Yet the TE ELF 200w little amp will keep up ! 

Like others it would have to be the ABM600 for band use I feel 

The TE Elf is a little marvel though to be fair.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 0175westwood29 said:

Oh the changes things, might go for the 600 then! 

This is the right answer I think (assuming any price differential isn’t a problem).

You kick yourself for having not enough power but you’ll never kick yourself for having too much and having to turn down. (At least in my view!)

😁

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nickthebass said:

This is the right answer I think (assuming any price differential isn’t a problem).

You kick yourself for having not enough power but you’ll never kick yourself for having too much and having to turn down. (At least in my view!)

😁

You might get some grief from your band for being too loud though, but you can safely ignore them as they're wrong 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Nickthebass said:

😁

wont be if my sodding gk would sell!!!!

1 hour ago, 0175westwood29 said:

im serectly tempted to grab the 1200 due to it going down to 2 ohms

ABM1200? It doesn't go to 2 ohms, its just to ABM600s power sections in the same box, each power section is the same as the ABM600s power section, and each has an output that can go down to 4 ohms.

• Like 3

Bear in mind that the ABM1200 is around 50% heavier than the ABM600, and a fair bit bigger: it's quite a chunky monkey, and as @Woodinblack says it has two power sections. In other words if you have one cabinet it will sound identical to the ABM600, and probably even with two it wouldn't sound that much different.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, chyc said:

Bear in mind that the ABM1200 is around 50% heavier than the ABM600, and a fair bit bigger: it's quite a chunky monkey, and as @Woodinblack says it has two power sections. In other words if you have one cabinet it will sound identical to the ABM600, and probably even with two it wouldn't sound that much different.

Not really that bothered by the weight, I just like the flexibility of being able to run two cabs which it can still do I guess just not per side like I thought 

2 hours ago, 0175westwood29 said:

Not really that bothered by the weight, I just like the flexibility of being able to run two cabs which it can still do I guess just not per side like I thought 

Yeh, it would be two cabs with the same signal - if you want stereo / bi-amping you would presumably want two amps.