Why become a member? ×

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - Dani California - ISOLATED BASS TRACK / BASS BACKING TRACK

Bart Funk Bass

Do you get paid commission by Flea? All your posts are about him... 

Never really understood why some people regard him as master bassist, he has a few decent licks, but as a player he's a bit weak. I mean his 'national anthem' solo is just awful!

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

Never really understood why some people regard him as master bassist, he has a few decent licks, but as a player he's a bit weak. I mean his 'national anthem' solo is just awful!

I quite like him, he was one of the ‘gateway’ players that got me into playing bass but is he an all time great? Possibly not. 

Not keen on that national anthem though, it might have been OK without all the improvisation and shredding! 

Edited by CookPassBabtridge
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Some people prefer pizza over pasta. Matter of taste.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bart Funk Bass said:

Some people prefer pizza over pasta. Matter of taste.

Oh absolutely, the world would be a bland and grey place without differing opinions and personal likes/dislikes! 

But... that national anthem is questionable at best! 🤓

• Like 1

9 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Fortunately for you, there's plenty other threads not involving Flea ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

I quite like him, he was one of the ‘gateway’ players that got me into playing bass but is he an all time great? Possibly not. 

Not keen on that national anthem though, it might have been OK without all the improvisation and shredding! 

I agree. I like him, in general. He does some things that make me go 'urgh' at times, but I enjoy his style. That national anthem... I can live without, 'though.

• Like 1

I really like Flea but in my view this is the worst Chili Peppers song ever. It's utterly dire, devoid of originality and Tom Petty should have sued. Just to be clear if you love it, I respect your view and am happy that you get enjoyment from it. To me it represents a creative nadir for the band and signposts towards their bland late era output. No disrespect intended to the OP but there are so many better RHCP songs. 

Edited by EdLib-3
Typo

10 hours ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Yeah, I prefer Christian McBride's jaunty version 😉:

Edited by EdLib-3

1 hour ago, EdLib-3 said:

Yeah, I prefer Christian McBride's jaunty version 😉:

Haha that wasn’t what I was expecting 😂

Who knew that NBA teams had so many high profile bassists as fans? I’d like to see Mark King perform God Save the Queen at the FA Cup final just for something a bit different. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Haha that wasn’t what I was expecting 😂

Who knew that NBA teams had so many high profile bassists as fans? I’d like to see Mark King perform God Save the Queen at the FA Cup final just for something a bit different. 

It would be Stuart Zender playing Land of Hope and Glory at the last night of The Proms for me..😁

• Haha 1

We do this track in our band - did it last night in fact - and I spent a while analysing it while learning it.  Flea never plays it the same way twice by a long margin, so I came up with my own with is about 2/3 true to the album version, and about 1/3 my own work.  A good song to do live, and our guitarists enjoy letting rip at it as well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EdLib-3 said:

I really like Flea but in my view this is the worst Chili Peppers song ever. It's utterly dire, devoid of originality and Tom Petty should have sued. Just to be clear if you love it, I respect your view and am happy that you get enjoyment from it. To me it represents a creative nadir for the band and signposts towards their bland late era input. No disrespect intended to the OP but there are so many better RHCP songs . 

Last Dance With Mary Jane, eh? In my head I often start one and morph into the other :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

We do this track in our band - did it last night in fact - and I spent a while analysing it while learning it.  Flea never plays it the same way twice by a long margin, so I came up with my own with is about 2/3 true to the album version, and about 1/3 my own work.  A good song to do live, and our guitarists enjoy letting rip at it as well.

That was my approach too when I was in a RHCP tribute band. The main bits are all there, but I'd incorporate fills and higher/lower octaves as I felt like. Nobody threw their shoes at us and people seemed to have fun, so I guess it was ok ;)

• Like 1