Sercet

[quote name='Sercet' post='452743' date='Apr 2 2009, 09:10 PM']Wal MK1 4 string
Flamed Maple
£2,300

I am in Worcester.

Thanks

Steve[/quote]

Hi Steve

Looks good, but I wonder if more info might help people lay down that much cash?

Best of luck

Gareth

[quote name='walbassist' post='452780' date='Apr 2 2009, 09:47 PM']Hi Steve

Looks good, but I wonder if more info might help people lay down that much cash?

Best of luck

Gareth[/quote]
+1

Photos are good though.. Looks like a fine example!

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='453912' date='Apr 4 2009, 10:23 AM']That's a great looking Wal, all the best with the sale.

Is it only me that sees a Wal and my mind strays to the word Overwater?

Probably due to the exposed core on top of the body.[/quote]

I see what you mean...... but to quote a Meerkat friend of mine..... "Don't even sound same" :)

a WAL is about the only decent bass i've never owned !!

[quote name='Marcus' post='453922' date='Apr 4 2009, 10:39 AM']I see what you mean...... but to quote a Meerkat friend of mine..... "Don't even sound same" :rolleyes:

a WAL is about the only decent bass i've never owned !![/quote]

And boy have you owned a few mate :)

Agreed on the status of Wals though.

Should add to this thread that I bought my fretless Wal from Steve (Sercet), he's a top bloke and I can recomend him as someone to do business with.

Mark, been a while since we've traded, what have you got at the moment!

Chris

[quote name='steve-soar' post='454032' date='Apr 4 2009, 12:50 PM']Mr Streaker, you are correct.
How totally fit and horny, did Gabrielle Drake look in those moonbase uniforms?[/quote]

Indeed ! I have a model of her on my desk at work - you press her buttons and she speaks to you !

Bump for a lovely Wal (seeing as we're a bit off topic !)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='454069' date='Apr 4 2009, 01:32 PM']I misread that as 'ever' and was sooo confused for a bit Mark.

Didn't know you was a Wal man Chris, Fenders history then?[/quote]

Fenders still outnumber Wals by 2:1 chez Beedster, a Jazz, a Precision and a Wal seems a pretty comprehensive and hopefully stable line up to me, and given my track record in the bass market that's saying something! The Wal is a relatively recent addition and is still a complete mystery to me, or at least the active circuits are. Even passive however it's a beautiful sounding bass and very different to both the Jazz and the Precision (all are fretless).

If I had to have one bass and one bass only though, it would still be my Precision :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='453929' date='Apr 4 2009, 10:44 AM']And boy have you owned a few mate :)

Agreed on the status of Wals though.

Should add to this thread that I bought my fretless Wal from Steve (Sercet), he's a top bloke and I can recomend him as someone to do business with.

Mark, been a while since we've traded, what have you got at the moment!

Chris[/quote]

Hey Up Chap.....

I've got a Sadowsky UV70 (Natural Ash Maple Blocks) knocks ya socks off !! lovely example.
Also got a Fender Jazz Longhorn (22 Fret) getting sprayed up in white with Torti guard. Howard (Bass-Doc) made a body in lovely lightweight Tulip wood. Big Acoustic Sound, it's got a Badass and a J Retro should have it any time now....

I've put a fair bit into my Rig recently now have an Aguilar DB750 a pair of GS112's and a GS115 - And No Gig !!!

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='454069' date='Apr 4 2009, 01:32 PM']I misread that as 'ever' and was sooo confused for a bit Mark.

Didn't know you was a Wal man Chris, Fenders history then?[/quote]

I wish I had only EVER owned a WAL..... would have saved me a fortune :)

I played one at Overwater, It was Fantastic they took it in as a deposit for a custom build, They only wanted a grand for it and I passed it up !!

This one here looks like a beautiful example...... I'm sure it won't be around long !!

[quote name='Sercet' post='452743' date='Apr 2 2009, 09:10 PM']Wal MK1 4 string
Flamed Maple

£2,300

I am in Worcester.

Thanks

Steve[/quote]

I've fancied a Wal for years, passed up a few for £700 - £800 a few years back, doh.

I just brought Steve's Godin, which is great, top bloke to deal with.

Lee

Thanks to everyone for their comments - both here and via PM - and for keeping this on the first page of the for sale board.

Gareth - you are of course correct, this does warrant more than five words and a number if I want to sell it. maybe there is some sub-conscious thing going on where part of me doesn't want to sell this.

ED Straker - you are correct, it is birdseye maple.

So here goes...this was made in 1989 and I bought it 1995. It's the standard Wal construction and active electronics - mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, twin pickups. Rotary controls are volume, pickup pan, bass and treble. The volume control can be "pulled up" to activate pick attack, where a narrow band of frequencies are boosted. The bass and treble rotaries can also be pulled to boost a range of the frequencies based on the current bass or treble positions. This one has a nice birdseye maple top and the gold coloured hardware.

It's in good condition for a twenty year old bass but there are some marks. There is a black dot on the top horn where the maple was either flawed or has been slightly indented; there are some scratches to the top side of the horn - i.e. in the mahogany rather than the maple. The back has several light scratches to the lacquer. I can't photograph these - you can only see them when you hold the bass up at a certain angle to the light.

At one time I used this bass for all rehearsals, gigs and recording. Over the last ten years I've been lucky to own several nice basses. A Fender Custom Shop Precision and a double bass get most use and the Wal has been in it's case for most of the last five years or so. I'm selling as I would like to buy an Eminence upright.

Thanks again for all of your comments. The pictures below show the electronics, back plate and some the scratches.

[quote name='walbassist' post='452780' date='Apr 2 2009, 09:47 PM']Hi Steve

Best of luck

Gareth[/quote]

[b]what more [i]CAN[/i] one say of such beauty???!!??[/b]

Edited by MoJoKe

This is absolutely beautiful, and I bet it sounds as good as it looks!

Justin Chancellor plays a MK2 with the same wood specs as this (one of my top five rock bass tones ever!)- There have to be some other Tool fans on BC besides me drooling over this! :)

[quote name='Etienne' post='455850' date='Apr 6 2009, 10:00 PM']This is absolutely beautiful, and I bet it sounds as good as it looks!

Justin Chancellor plays a MK2 with the same wood specs as this (one of my top five rock bass tones ever!)- There have to be some other Tool fans on BC besides me drooling over this! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Indeed, it is rather tempting. :)

I often see people on this forum selling basses because their wife/girlfriend impose a one in one out rule and others who would like to buy a bass but can't, again because of the wife/girlfriend. Well, my wife has stopped me selling this - she's always liked the look of it (she doesn't play), and when she found out it was made in August '89 (the month/year we got married) she put her foot down. I was going to use the funds raised to but a new EUB...which she insists I go ahead and buy. It's effectively her bass now.

Apologies to those who came close to buying it (You should buy Beedster's Wal instead).

Steve

[quote name='Sercet' post='459660' date='Apr 10 2009, 10:24 PM']I often see people on this forum selling basses because their wife/girlfriend impose a one in one out rule and others who would like to buy a bass but can't, again because of the wife/girlfriend. Well, my wife has stopped me selling this - she's always liked the look of it (she doesn't play), and when she found out it was made in August '89 (the month/year we got married) she put her foot down. I was going to use the funds raised to but a new EUB...which she insists I go ahead and buy. It's effectively her bass now.

Apologies to those who came close to buying it (You should buy Beedster's Wal instead).

Steve[/quote]
Good decision, if I might say so....

[quote name='Sercet' post='459660' date='Apr 10 2009, 11:24 PM']I often see people on this forum selling basses because their wife/girlfriend impose a one in one out rule and others who would like to buy a bass but can't, again because of the wife/girlfriend. Well, my wife has stopped me selling this - she's always liked the look of it (she doesn't play), and when she found out it was made in August '89 (the month/year we got married) she put her foot down. I was going to use the funds raised to but a new EUB...which she insists I go ahead and buy. It's effectively her bass now.

Steve[/quote]

That's what I'd call a cool wife!
Cheers
Oliver