Why become a member? ×

New Zoom Multi FX: Zoom B6

rushbo

1 hour ago, rhysyjob said:

Ok excuse the uneducated question. But does the b6 do

parallel processing? 

48 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Sadly, no. 

In the sense of a split INTERNAL path for parallel processing, sadly the B6 does not do this. Dealbreaker for some, not for others.

It really depends on what you want out of your parallel processing, though.  A lot of effects, most drives, some preamps have a wet/dry blend or mix.

So if the primary concern is getting some dry signal into a distorted/OD tone, then you can definitely do this. Only a couple comps have wet/dry blend.

Also, there is an FX Loop and Send/Return for external pedals, but I'm guessing this isn't what you're talking about.

I did do a parallel dry path experiment connecting the 1/4 send to the 1/4 return, placing the send at slot 1 and return post-effects in the signal path.

It does work but sort of convoluted, and debatable whether it is worth eating up 2 of the 6 slots. But you technically CAN DO a pure dry parallel path is if interest....but a stretch.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Ah yes, but at least one reviewer has stated a preference for the B3 over the B6. 

I regret selling my B3 - it was handy to use just as an audio interface - a solid, easy to use piece of kit.

However I am very happy with my new toy too.

The B3 is what got me reacquainted with ZOOM products, and it is still extremely popular, yes. Great features for a great price. 

I don't regret moving on from it due to my inability to get along with 3 button multi-fx pedals of any kind (HX Stomp included).

In terms of sounds, though, I'll take the B6 every day over the B3.  I still highly recommend the B3, though, especially for those on a tight budget where needs are few and size matters. It's a great gateway!

• Like 2

How would the B6 fair in a gig situation with amp / cab and no PA support for say rock covers ?

Im interested in sounds and effects that would be needed but as a puritan of normal bass sounds / tone I’m wondering if it would be total overkill 

Also any noticeable tone suck from it ran front of amp ? 

2 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

How would the B6 fair in a gig situation with amp / cab and no PA support for say rock covers ?

Im interested in sounds and effects that would be needed but as a puritan of normal bass sounds / tone I’m wondering if it would be total overkill 

Also any noticeable tone suck from it ran front of amp ? 

What effects would you be using, and are they the type of effects that lend themselves to being blended along with your 100% dry bass rig tone?

Reason I ask is that some effects are 100% wet by nature, though for all practical purposes, most are mixed wet + dry.

If you really are concerned about your dry bass rig sound not being messed with, then use a "wet+dry" approach, with a second amp setup for WET ONLY sounds.

This is what many guitarists do for the same reason (a wet-dry-wet stage rig for stereo effects, but 100% pure dry tone in the center).

It involves a high quality splitter box and a second rig, on top of the fx pedals you want to use. It's not a great solution, but IMO the "purity" is intact.

Short of that, just use only analog pedals with true-bypass.

I personally got over the "purity" hurdle a long time ago as a matter of practicality. Nothing wrong with your approach. Some players can stick-and-move with digital processing, others can't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

I do like zooms manifold effect

Me too, I prefer the Inlet Manifold version , the one with the Twin Strombergs, because you can adjust the flow rate with drops of oil into the Carbs top.🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Had about an hour on it , very impressed with sounds .

Just a couple of things 

( might be me ) 

1) on loading to PC to use the editing , takes about 4 minutes each time .

2) touch screen very temperamental,  sometimes works one touch , and sometimes two or three .

Anyone else have these issues ?

38 minutes ago, petetexas said:

2) touch screen very temperamental,  sometimes works one touch , and sometimes two or three .

1) Open Guitar Lab first on PC, connect USB then switch on the B6. Seems to work 100% for me.

2) Remove the clear film from the screen, my sweaty fingers didn't help, but after the protective film was removed all was well. Do not expect a Mobile phone type of response , the B6 is a bit slower.

Have fun. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, petetexas said:

Had about an hour on it , very impressed with sounds .

Just a couple of things 

( might be me ) 

I found that initially, it took a while for GuitarLab to recognize the pedal. Initially I thought it wasn't recognizing the B6 at all until I just let it sit for a couple minutes.

Haven't timed it lately, but connection seems faster than 4 minutes for me....maybe 30 seconds or so. Definitely would appreciate faster connection time.

Yes, the touchscreen is picky. I commented on this upon initial use of the B6. It isn't as fast as your typical smart phone, and does require the user to adjust to the touchscreen.

This is another place where the B6 could be improved, but I personally am not bothered by it as some of my tablet/iPad based audio apps suffer from this sort of speed/sensitivity issue, so I'm used to it.

I think if you consciously go about it with a little patience and deliberate motions, you'll be OK. I'd love to be able to rifle around the screen just like my cell phone, though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

1) Open Guitar Lab first on PC, connect USB then switch on the B6. Seems to work 100% for me.

2) Remove the clear film from the screen, my sweaty fingers didn't help, but after the protective film was removed all was well. Do not expect a Mobile phone type of response , the B6 is a bit slower.

Have fun. 

both good ideas, and I've not done either. Will try this tonight.

Its OK guys , Ive found out by trial and error ...........

1) In Guitar Lab , click on Patch at top

2) Right click on the PATCH NAME you want to move , a menu appears

3) Left click on SAVE TO PATCH POOL ( it then appears in PATCH POOL at left of Guitar Lab )

4) Right click on your saved patch name in PATCH POOL , a menu appears , right click on COPY TO DEVICE

5) Right Click where you want to save it to , a menu appears

6) Right Click READ FROM PATCH POOL

There it is , where you want it

HOPE THIS IS CLEAR

Pete

Edited by petetexas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, petetexas said:

Its OK guys , Ive found out by trial and error ...........

1) In Guitar Lab , click on Patch at top

2) Right click on the PATCH NAME you want to move , a menu appears

3) Left click on SAVE TO PATCH POOL ( it then appears in PATCH POOL at left of Guitar Lab )

4) Right click on your saved patch name , a menu appears , right click on COPY TO DEVICE

5) Right Click where you want to save it to , a menu appears

6) Right Click READ FROM PATCH POOL

There it is , where you want it

HOPE THIS IS CLEAR

Pete

On the B6 unit when you save any patch, for example patch 123, it will ask you to save to "123" (the current patch location), and you'll see up/down arrows. 

You can scroll up and down with those arrows to save to a new location.  If you want to duplicate the existing patch, make sure you save it first, then hit save again to copy to the new location.

In GuitarLab, you can copy multiple patches, for example the 4 consecutive patches in a bank, using Windows conventions shift (select patches consecutively) or CNTRL (select patches individually).

You can save selected multiple patches into the patch pool. 

Edited by jimfist
  • Like 1