Why become a member? ×

New Zoom Multi FX: Zoom B6

rushbo

15 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Sounds like the purchase of an Alesis  SR 16 would improve stage volume, reduce setup time and band members would enjoy an increase in the share of the fee.

Drum tracks appear to have more sparkle, richness and crispness, akin to my Alesis SR16. 

Sounds just a bit more "real" somehow.

Thanks John. Hmmm...definitely food for thought on the quality of sound upgrade.

Now you come to mention it, I did used to have an Alesis SR18 - but found it a complete PITA to programme! I have actually very recently picked up a used Beat Buddy having spotted that they've released a new improved software manager in Nov last year which dealt with a number of previous limitations such as the note cap.

I'll pass on the suggestion to sack our drummer 😁

• Like 2

Anyone understand the technical side of things? I'm wondering about the improvements, if any, made to the effects from previous (inexpensive) Zoom model.

Are there figures you can quote to prove the new effect has another 2000 gigawatt reactor added for each pedal simulation?

Having just perused the effects list it reads very similar to all the previous Zoom offerings. 

As much as I like the touchscreen and expression pedal and new shiny package, at the price point I'd like to think it actually sounds better too.

A side by side comparison with a B1_Four would be absolutely ideal of course.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Anyone understand the technical side of things? I'm wondering about the improvements, if any, made to the effects from previous (inexpensive) Zoom model.

Are there figures you can quote to prove the new effect has another 2000 gigawatt reactor added for each pedal simulation?

Having just perused the effects list it reads very similar to all the previous Zoom offerings. 

As much as I like the touchscreen and expression pedal and new shiny package, at the price point I'd like to think it actually sounds better too.

A side by side comparison with a B1_Four would be absolutely ideal of course.

Yes agree - I have a zoom b2.1 that still seems adequate 

38 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Yes agree - I have a zoom b2.1 that still seems adequate 

Nothing wrong with any of the Zoom products I've owned, but some things could be improved. Having a remote control in the shape of a phone app would save me bending down to tweak, and squinting at a tiny screen too far away to see.

However good these improvements are though, I am greedy and still want it to sound better too.

• Like 1

What is a bit a annoying is the lack of specific or even recommended protective carry case. Will look for a Gator Bag or similar that would fit - I’m a bit of a brand slag so would have preferred something bespoke from Zoom specifically for the B6.

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

The app is only for the iPhone. For someone who prefers a functional mobile phone to an expensive fashion accessory, this is a great disappointment.

I don't know if it's a deal breaker, but it's pretty important.

I wouldn’t hold your breath hoping for nokia 3310 compatibility. 

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, stewblack said:

But all joking aside the Bluetooth/smartphone capability is a big draw over here. Not saying I will scratch my interest because of it, but my enthusiasm has received its first dent.

To be fair, I don't understand why manufacturers don't develop software for the major smartphone OS - its not like this is a race between VHS and Betamax, these formats are here to stay for the forseeable. Even car brands are playing catch up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stewblack said:

And lest we forget, iPhone commands  a very small part of the  market compared to Android.

But I don't have a clue how these things work, there's probably a very good reason for zoom going the way they have

Without getting on phone war thing, which I am not interested in, current sales are 50/50. Current iPhone vs Android distribution is set to be 75/25 to android, however the majority of android phones are really basic cheap phones people bought just for making phone calls that were never updated (and never will be) who will never want to adjust their zoom with anyway. So if you are writing software for a smartphone you will be targeting an OS that a lot of android phones won't have, so you will actually be much closer to parity.

TBH, if i was zoom, I wouldn't be targeting smartphones, I would be targeting tablets, and people interested in music things will have a tendancy to be on iOS. 

However, if I was zoom, once I was happy with the iOS app working, I would then certainly be looking to do an android version - I mean it isn't actually an audio application, it is a 'moving objects around and sending data' application that you can do on most things. So maybe they will when they get round to it - do they not do versions of their software for older hardware on android?

• Like 2

Ok, for what it's worth, here's my opinion on the Zoom B6:

I've had some time to play about with it at home and in rehearsal studios.

My overall opinion is that if you already have a Zoom B3 or B3n it's not worth buying.

The sounds may be slightly fuller, but not so you'd notice much in a live setting. Apart from the D.I.'s (which I don't use) there's not a great deal of anything that makes it better than the previous generations. It's like an iPhone 11 to 12 upgrade.....it's not enough to justify the price hike.

The case is plastic rather than metal (which is a huge step backwards) and it's too big for what it does.

I play in an 80's covers band. I have a Helix Stomp too and since the recent 3.15 update the synth sounds (which I thought were pretty bad and much worse than the Zoom before) are now much better, to the extent that in a live setting they are more than adequate to replace my Source Audio C4 and Boss SY-200, but probably not if recording, but let's face it, you'd probably use a full size or soft synth for that anyway..  The stomp case is metal, looks better imho, and is a third of the size of the Zoom. 

So.....to summarise, The B6 is not much better than the B3 and doesn't do enough that's new. It's too big and its plastic. It costs too much. The Helix Stomp (since the 3.15 upgrade) is now my one pedal solution and has made my pedal board redundant (for now, at least).

• Like 1

@TobyMunkling The reason I take your review so seriously, where other posters negativity fails to scrape the outer coating to my GAS, is because of this 

2 hours ago, TobyMunkling said:

which I thought were pretty bad and much worse than the Zoom

So many people claim the Zoom effects are utterly inferior to their Line 6 rivals, but I have always preferred filters and synths on my Zoom pedals.

You appear to share my tastes so your remarks on the recent updates on one, and the lack of improvement on the other has struck home.

Which is a shame as I have been allowing the GAS to swell to almost unstoppable levels. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

So many people claim the Zoom effects are utterly inferior to their Line 6 rivals, but I have always preferred filters and synths on my Zoom pedals.

The synths on the line 6 pedals are nothing special, or the octaves. The reverbs and choruses are better though. and I like having the parallel distortion on just the high frequencies. having said that, the reason I prefer the Helix HXFX is just the layout and control, rather than anything else.

• Like 2

The footprint point is interesting. I like the concept of the smaller HX Stomp but in reality I find it very fiddly and hard to access. The Zoom at first seems over-sized but actually its a lovely size and well laid out to get everything you need from it at the tap of the foot (or a swipe of the iPhone if you have one  🙂 )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

The synths on the line 6 pedals are nothing special, or the octaves. The reverbs and choruses are better though. and I like having the parallel distortion on just the high frequencies. having said that, the reason I prefer the Helix HXFX is just the layout and control, rather than anything else.

Pre Helix 3.15 software update comment about their synth sims (see Toby's post above).

1 minute ago, CJPJ said:

The footprint point is interesting. I like the concept of the smaller HX Stomp but in reality I find it very fiddly and hard to access. The Zoom at first seems over-sized but actually its a lovely size and well laid out to get everything you need from it at the tap of the foot (or a swipe of the iPhone if you have one  🙂 )

The B6 is a lot better laid out to work as a standalone board, the Stomp is great at the heart of a pedal board.

• Like 1

Just now, Al Krow said:

The B6 is a lot better laid out to work as a standalone board, the Stomp is great at the heart of a pedal board.

Nicely put. I think that's why I'm leaning toward the B6 at the moment as it does everything I need in a nice form factor. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Pre Helix 3.15 software update comment about their synth sims (see Toby's post above).

Indeed. I’ve yet to update my Helix, but I’m hoping the new additions go some way to addressing the issues I’ve had with the synth models. And FWIW the bass octave in the helix is the best tracking octave effect I’ve ever used in multi fx.  Tracks perfectly even on the open E string. 

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 2

HXFX is exactly my kind of pedal. Like the Plethora it allows me to see separate effects rather than a crowded little screen.

However I've been a fan of Zoom pedals forever. If there was a dedicated bass version of the G11 that would be done kind of special sauce.

• Like 1