Why become a member? ×

New Zoom Multi FX: Zoom B6

rushbo

23 hours ago, TobyMunkling said:

Yep....mine's in transit from Germany, even though I bought it from DV247.......

+1

Effects sale went rather well, only the TC Spectracomp to go so I ordered a B6 today from Thomann. 

Neither DV247 or Thomann Sales staff knew if the PSU had the interchangeable 3pin/ 2pin clip on adaptors.

Thomann even told me that there was NO PSU in the carton box  and I would need to purchase one. 🙄😖😞

• Like 1

Standard single 9V PSU should work fine I would have thought John, and maybe more convenient than using using a 2 to 3 pin adapter, which is what I have to use for both my Thomann IsoPro multi-PSUs (which are otherwise great bits of kit). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Standard single 9V PSU should work fine I would have thought John, and maybe more convenient than using using a 2 to 3 pin adapter, which is what I have to use for both my Thomann IsoPro multi-PSUs (which are otherwise great bits of kit). 

Agreed, but the Invoice & sales description clearly states the PSU is included in the box. I really don't know what these Sales people are all about. 

They just seem so 'Dim' . 

Maybe thoman say that as they would have a european plug in the box so it is easier if they say there is none so that you are not expected to be able to use it out of the box. I know everything I got from thoman had an adapter on it, but I haven't ordered anything since that all changed.

Also zoom have always had 9v adapters, it would be odd to change that now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CJPJ said:

Anyone actually used this yet and can share thoughts and reviews?

I think they're en route to a couple of fellow BC'ers but, in the meantime, there's a good thread on TB which is worth having a read - I certainly found useful. They're ahead of us in terms of getting their hands on the pedal.

Zoom B6 | TalkBass.com

• Like 1

Well, I picked it up earlier and just having a mooch around and looking at the functionality at the moment. First impressions of the unit itself are good - really solidly made and looks / feels quality. I was worried it might be really plasticky against the metal housing of the HX units but it appears robust enough to withstand some abuse. Touchscreen is great and will no doubt make navigation much more focussed. It’s lighter and more slimline than I anticipated and it think it’s going to be a great tool to have at my feet and for dealing with the things I’m going to need it for.

I’ll have a play through it tomorrow but just want to learn the menus first. 

3E948CF6-D0E0-4C74-9DC6-50BCF5C50BC9.thumb.jpeg.84be9bc4445929ddd6551b1d1a8584e2.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm really liking this unit - I've ordered the BT adaptor as I think this will be the quickest and easiest way to edit patches and move through the board on the fly. The pre-set patches are actually pretty good - I'm really impressed with some of the filters and synth sounds. Still messing about building some patches that I can use 'everyday' with simple effects (like the HX effects) I can just call on like Chorus and Fuzz. Need to get my head around what specific pedals they are emulalating but I'll spend a bit more time on fine tunning specifc sounds in time. I'm not back in the studio for practice until Thursday week so won't be able to hear it in the mix or at volume. I've got a gig on Thursday but not going to try this live for the first time there......

It's so quick and easy to get up and running. The interface and menu structure is really intuitive and well laid out. It's a shame that it doesn't have a mute - or at least I haven't found it - just bypass. Tuner is brilliant and, from what I've seen so far, the looper is well laid out although requires moving to a different mode (but that's fine as it keeps all the underlying settings) - but the benefit is that you have all the stomp bottoms to opperate the looper (much like the HX effects). 

So far I'm impressed. I love the fact it really has everything you need including the DI (and selectable DI-dedicated amp sims).

I also love that I can play with headphones and it can also go directly into Logic via the USB interface.

So far so good!

• Like 2

Great review, I am getting increasingly excited to get my hands on one. 

I've always liked Zoom products, the menus are so easy to use, the effects always way better than people say. I suspect the plastic casing and low price has some sub conscious influence. 

I busted my Helix, but even if I get it fixed I want one of these. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I busted my Helix, but even if I get it fixed I want one of these. 

Stick around, this will probably for sale in a couple of weeks based on historic behaviour. I enjoy buying, trying and then selling new stuff and live in the hope that one day I'll eventually reaslise that I've already discovered my ideal guitar/effects pedal/car/motorbike/etc (*delete as applicable) and go back to it, never to change it again 🤣 . But I like change. I'm good for the economy!

3 hours ago, CJPJ said:

I'm really liking this unit - I've ordered the BT adaptor as I think this will be the quickest and easiest way to edit patches and move through the board on the fly. The pre-set patches are actually pretty good - I'm really impressed with some of the filters and synth sounds. Still messing about building some patches that I can use 'everyday' with simple effects (like the HX effects) I can just call on like Chorus and Fuzz. Need to get my head around what specific pedals they are emulalating but I'll spend a bit more time on fine tunning specifc sounds in time. I'm not back in the studio for practice until Thursday week so won't be able to hear it in the mix or at volume. I've got a gig on Thursday but not going to try this live for the first time there......

Great review - I'm getting very interested in these. Could you compare it to a Helix in terms of the quality of the models?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tripehound said:

Great review - I'm getting very interested in these. Could you compare it to a Helix in terms of the quality of the models?

I’m probably not the most technical at comparisons as I’m not really using pedals to a level that I’d ever notice nuances. Unfortunately I no longer have my HX so can’t test side to side. I also don’t rely much on amp and cab modelling. I’ll have more of a view once I’ve played about with it but from what I’ve heard (as in from my ear - not on the grapevine), all the usual suspects sound really rich and dynamic.

Edited by CJPJ

On 24/01/2022 at 12:43, Woodinblack said:

Well, that is a little dissapointing - after this time they can throw more processing at it, especially at its price point. I understand most people using the device will be using mono, so it makes sense from that point of view, but on the line6s you can choose to use a mono effect and use less processing time if you want, but if you are one of the people who use stereo (and live gigging I am not), you can choose to use more processing to have the stereo effect.

This just in from a TB'er: 

The Zoom B6 has stereo capabilities!
It works on the [AMP/PHONES] output.

Effect makes stereo:
- Corona Tri Chorus
- Bass Stereo Chorus
- Dual Delay (in ST mode)
- Hold Delay (in PP mode)
- all Reverbs (sound better in stereo)

Effect stays stereo:
- ZNR
- Stereo Bass GEQ
- Exiter
- Bass Vintage Flanger
- PDL Volume
- Output VP

Dry mix stereo:
- Pitch Shift
- HPS (Harmony Pitch Shift)
- Bass Analog Octaver
- Bass Poly Shift
- Bomber
- all Delays
- all FX loop

It's nice, not earth shattering, but definitely noticeable, especially on headphones.

• Thanks 1

So my conclusions after a couple of days running through the tones and features.

Yes it's expensive 

Yes it sounds much fuller, richer and clearer than the B1Four 

Yes it has a great DI , easily replacing my Tech 21 VT Bass.

Yes the amp & Cab sims are fantastic , so authentic with an openness genuine richness. 

Yes Helix Stomp sounds are probably better but I don't believe I could hear the difference in a band environment. 

Yes it's easy to use and setup. 

Yes the system is very intuitive and logical. 

Yes the B1Four is probably the best value for money multi Fx on the market..

Yes I'm pleased with my purchase. 

Yes I'm glad I bought it as it fixes current and future Pedal Gas.

Yes I'm fickle. 

Yes I'm easy to please. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

So my conclusions after a couple of days running through the tones and features.

Yes it's expensive 

Yes it has a great DI , easily replacing my Tech 21 VT Bass.

Yes the amp & Cab sims are fantastic , so authentic with an openness genuine richness. 

Yes Helix Stomp sounds are probably better but I don't believe I could hear the difference in a band environment. 

Yes it's easy to use and setup. 

Yes the system is very intuitive and logical. 

Yes the B1Four is probably the best value for money multi Fx on the market..

Yes I'm pleased with my purchase. 

Yes I'm glad I bought it as it fixes current and future Pedal Gas.

Yes I'm fickle. 

Yes I'm easy to please. 

Ha. Me too . . .all of the above. It's exceeded my expectations.

Also worth pointing out the excellent drum/rhythm functionality which is great for jamming/practicing to and also would be a passable alternative if the drummer didn't show for practice. 

I connected it to my iPhone and iPad using the optional BT adaptor and it makes it even easier and more convenient to interface with.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

That is a particularly unhelpful GAS inducing statement Mr DaBass! 😁

Does sound like the greater 88 kHz sample rate really is making a noticeable difference.

14 hours ago, CJPJ said:

Also worth pointing out the excellent drum/rhythm functionality which is great for jamming/practicing to and also would be a passable alternative if the drummer didn't show for practice. 

Funny you should mention that. I've often used my B1-4 drum/rhythm for home practice - which is a really nice little extra not available on Helix. Had a band practice with a new covers outfit yesterday and unfortunately the drummer couldn't make it as he had tested positive for Covid. So I ended up sorting out a set's worth of, albeit basic, drum tracks for 15 songs just matching the original track tempos and using half a dozen of the available drum styles to cover these off. Ok no fills and manual adjustment of volumes etc. but it enabled us to have a very productive rehearsal, with the benefit of having everything at a reasonable non-ear-plug-volume! 

@JohnDaBass - be interested to know whether you can hear any difference in the quality of the drum tracks too? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

it enabled us to have a very productive rehearsal, with the benefit of having everything at a reasonable non-ear-plug-volume! 

Sounds like the purchase of an Alesis  SR 16 would improve stage volume, reduce setup time and band members would enjoy an increase in the share of the fee.

Drum tracks appear to have more sparkle, richness and crispness, akin to my Alesis SR16. 

Sounds just a bit more "real" somehow.

• Like 2