Why become a member? ×

Best Rack-mounted Compressor- Advice needed

Old Horse Murphy

For the second time in about a month I found myself physically threatening someone in the crowd to move back before they spilt their pint all over my floor pedals. Fortunately he heeded the warning, but I think it's only a matter of time before everything gets covered in beer.

I don't have too many pedals (a Radial Bigshot splitter, Boss TU2 Tuner and an EBS multicomp), but I'm considering bunging everything in a rack.

Does anyone have any recommendations for rack mounted compressors of a similar standard to the EBS? I'm not looking to pay a fortune, but some ideas would be much appreciated.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='451269' date='Apr 1 2009, 10:51 AM']Can't you just put your pedals behind you right next to your amp? Lots of bassists do that.[/quote]

I'm considering that too, or mounting them on a rack tray. To be honest though, I have enough bloody cables and wires as it is, so it would be quite nice to tidy up a bit too.

Thanks for the feedback so far

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='451277' date='Apr 1 2009, 10:54 AM']I'm considering that too, or mounting them on a rack tray. To be honest though, I have enough bloody cables and wires as it is, so it would be quite nice to tidy up a bit too.

Thanks for the feedback so far[/quote]

You'll be hard pushed to beat the multicomp without spending twice the money. I always likes the Focusrite compounder. They are quite expensive new compared to the EBS - but I have just looked at some on ebay that are at a comparable price to the multicomp. (the BIN one looks good)

Works great in a live situation - and a great all round compressor for in the studio, even vocals. It's particularly good on bass drums also.

Edited by EBS_freak

Well there is excellent rack-mounted equipment available, but if you're happy with what you've got you could put them inside your existing rack if you have one for your head, or you could make a small pedalboard to put behind you or ontop of your amp.

Cheapest solution would be a rack drawer - stick your pedals in there and pull them out to fiddle with settings if required.

As for good quality rackmounted compressors, there are so many good studio ones on ebay right now that you could go for secondhand entry level gear from big rep pro audio brands. I picked up a Drawmer compressor a couple of years ago. Haven't used it in a while but it was excellent.

I use [url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Nov01/articles/trackmaster.asp"]one of these[/url] for compression... the compressor is one of the best you will ever hear at any price. Highly recommended, and because there's a newer version out (the 'Pro') you can pick these older ones up for 60ish on fleaBay. I did!
They make for an absolutely brilliant recording preamp too, which is what they were originally intended for.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='451287' date='Apr 1 2009, 11:04 AM']You'll be hard pushed to beat the multicomp without spending twice the money. I always likes the Focusrite compounder. They are quite expensive new compared to the EBS - but I have just looked at some on ebay that are at a comparable price to the multicomp. (the BIN one looks good)

Works great in a live situation - and a great all round compressor for in the studio, even vocals. It's particularly good on bass drums also.[/quote]

+1 (check my sig) its the canine undercarriage on bass

[quote name='51m0n' post='451479' date='Apr 1 2009, 01:46 PM']+1 (check my sig) its the canine undercarriage on bass[/quote]

Exactly... amazing piece of kit (and I'm not easily impressed by compressors). Nobody will be upset with the performance of it.

I've been using an ART TubePac preamp/compressor for a couple of years, and been very satisfied with it.

Sadly no longer available new in the UK, it would seem - there is one on ebay (in the US) though.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ART-Tube-PAC-TUBEPAC-110-220VOLT-Make-us-a-best-offer_W0QQitemZ110366422473"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ART-Tube-PAC-TUBEPAC...emZ110366422473[/url]