Why become a member? ×

SOLDSOLDSOLD Squier SQ serial Precision SOLDSOLDSOLD

Bassassin

Sold to Arne in Flensburg. 'Wiedersehen!

Anyway, made in Japan 83/84 at Fujigen, SQs followed immediately after the original JVs and while not specific vintage reissues (they seem to be broadly based on 70s Fenders) are similarly superb quality. This one's quite unique having a stunning near-bookmatched body - others I've seen have 3-piece bodies on unmatched 2-piece, the only other one like this I've seen is an example on the [url="http://www.21frets.com"]http://www.21frets.com[/url] site. And it's not as pretty!

It's in very good but not pristine cosmetic condition, there are a few knocks & dents on the body and a couple of small (3 or 4mm) chips on the lower edges. The neck has some light "leant against the amp" marks and there's a small pre-smoking ban fag burn adjacent to the E tuner!

Hardware's in excellent condition, no rust or corrosion, in fact it looks practically new, and the frets are unworn with only slight play marks, mostly down to me.

The only non-original part's the scratchplate, the original w/b/w plate was broken when I got it so I replaced it with a 90s MIJ tort. This is a good fit & required no new screwholes, it's drilled for a pup cover & thumbrest, but the body itself isn't drilled.

I did repair the original plate - superglue & stiff plastic card to reinforce it - and it looks OK & is robust enough to use:

[attachment=23106:plate.jpg]

There's a generic 70s/80s JapCrap tolex hard case - I don't know if this is original to the bass, but it's the right era. It's tatty & the padding's had some dubious "repairs" but it's functional & better than a bin bag!

[attachment=23107:case.jpg]

I'd like to suggest £420 delivered for this thing of beauty, rarity, appreciating collectability and growly thumpiness. I'm not really looking for trades (unless you have a Gibson Victory you don't want) but my unquenchable GAS always leaves me open to suggestion... :)

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

You posted some photos of this about a year ago, Jon.

I said it then, I'll say it again - just beautiful. Lovely bit of wood. That's real wood, that is. They don't use wood like than any more, y'know. etc. etc.

Regrettably I'm in the midst of seriously rapid down-sizing myself (12 basses sold in three weeks - :) ) so I'll have to pass on this one.

Damn!!!
Ive just bought a new p and while its very nice, id rather have stumped up the extra ton for this DOH!!! ive got to stop looking at this forum so much its ruining my marriage :) gorgeous bass and a bargain - lee

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bassassin' post='453553' date='Apr 3 2009, 05:44 PM']Sold to Paul (Ednaplate) pending release of funds. :)

J.[/quote]
Available once again, apparently due to second withdrawal of funds from Paul's pocket, by furious & bass-resistant wife.

Nonetheless Mr Ednaplate's bad luck is the BC massive's good fortune - so please buy this delightful old P before it gets a complex.

Jon.

I'm really arsed off at not being allowed to go for this. I've just had another look at this with a teary eye and thinking what may have been (if only I had been better at hiding stuff I would have got away with it)

I was going to go along the line of it's 25 years old, got a few knocks and originally cost £200. She would never have known.

I've still not been forgiven for buying a Tele last year. I think she's feeling guilty and says I can have it if I sell one of my other guitars so if anyone fancies an Admira Alicia single cutaway nylon string classical in very good condition for £400 let me know

Edited by ednaplate

[quote name='ednaplate' post='460821' date='Apr 12 2009, 09:51 PM']I'm really arsed off at not being allowed to go for this. I've just had another look at this with a teary eye and thinking what may have been (if only I had been better at hiding stuff I would have got away with it)

I was going to go along the line of it's 25 years old, got a few knocks and originally cost £200. She would never have known.[/quote]
Not to worry Paul - sh!t happens. And I'd advise going with the "rare vintage bass / sound investment in these harsh economic times" tack! :)

J.