Why become a member? ×

Best pitch shifter (detuner) pedal?

Jamie Snell

Hi all, I’m considering getting a pitch shifter pedal to allow me to play certain songs either a semi tone or two semi tones down.

i’ve just tried the EHX Pitch Fork, but felt it coloured the tone too much.

I also tried The Drop by Digitech which was quite good, despite a slight drop in volume.

Someone suggested the Morpheus Drop Tuner.

What are people’s thoughts on The Drop and the Morpheus please?  I’ve got the chance to get one or the other so any comments welcome. The Drop is 9v meaning I can power it from my 9v splitter cable, although I may well get some kind of power bank if that would be better.

Cheers

Jamie

I've been looking at this as have a dep gig in a few weeks where I really need one or I'll be changing basses nearly every song!

I borrowed a friend's HX FX for a rehearsal last night and used the Simple Pitch effect.  Was absolutely brilliant, even when playing double stops or three note chords.  Didn't even bother trying the new polyphonic options which are supposed to be even better.  I had a HX about 18 months ago, and sold it in preference of building up a board again (having sold all my pedals to by the HX 🤣), but have to say that having used one again last night I am really tempted to get one again.   Given a decent detune pedal is £100+, and you can pick up an HX FX for less than £300 second hand, and on top of all the other effects of has tuner, looper, and also bass pedal for those Geddy Lee moments!!

Obviously this is available on all the helix variants and the go, so certainly something to consider.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

Hi Jamie. I've tried a few but I have to say the Digitech Ricochet, while not designed as a simple pitch shifter, is far and away the best.

Assuming the Digitech Drop uses similar technology that would be my choice.

The Whammy Ricochet is ace, it's just a shame that you can't detune a semitone . I would have thought the Drop would have been very similar but with more intervals.

• Like 1

On 14/08/2021 at 09:39, MattW said:

I've been looking at this as have a dep gig in a few weeks where I really need one or I'll be changing basses nearly every song!

I borrowed a friend's HX FX for a rehearsal last night and used the Simple Pitch effect.  Was absolutely brilliant, even when playing double stops or three note chords.  Didn't even bother trying the new polyphonic options which are supposed to be even better.  I had a HX about 18 months ago, and sold it in preference of building up a board again (having sold all my pedals to by the HX 🤣), but have to say that having used one again last night I am really tempted to get one again.   Given a decent detune pedal is £100+, and you can pick up an HX FX for less than £300 second hand, and on top of all the other effects of has tuner, looper, and also bass pedal for those Geddy Lee moments!!

Obviously this is available on all the helix variants and the go, so certainly something to consider.

This ☝️ I’ve tried a lot of pitch shifters and the Helix one is amazing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/08/2021 at 19:28, Jamie Snell said:

Hi all, I’ve pulled the trigger on the Digitech Drop, I will let you know how I get on with it!

How you finding it? They do look good.

Am I correct in thinking it allows you to drop your pitch by 7 semitones (plus the octave down), so if you wanted to pitch shift +2 semi tones it wouldn't work for that?

Edited by Al Krow

What I'm particularly looking for is: to go from PC (Spotify / YT track) --> [Pitch Shift] --> powered speaker to change the pitch of particular songs, without faffing with MP3 conversion etc. This will be particularly helpful where we're not doing them in the original key, rather than for changing the pitch on my bass, and I can practice in the key we're playing them in. My old Song Surgeon software is currently on its last legs and the newer version doesn't have the same functionality of downloading and pitch shifting YT tracks.

Having done a bit of research on this I came across this and have just downloaded - seems to do the trick! (And it's free :))

Transpose: pitch shifter browser extension

23 hours ago, Al Krow said:

How you finding it? They do look good.

Am I correct in thinking it allows you to drop your pitch by 7 semitones (plus the octave down), so if you wanted to pitch shift +2 semi tones it wouldn't work for that?

Correct.

It's down only.

Presumably you have enough frets to go upwards though?